Tek Vest?

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering if I should be investing in a tek-vest? Until now, I have been a huge fan of my husband having one and actually using it (yes, you heard me dear- I know you are reading this!) because he tends to be a 'little aggressive'. However, since I have now decided to quit riding like a girl, I'm wondering if I should practice what I preach... How many of you girls are actually sporting one? Of those who wear them, what brand did you choose and why? I am specifically interested in ones that are intended for a woman's smaller and more front heavy-frame...

Taminator

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering if I should be investing in a tek-vest? Until now, I have been a huge fan of my husband having one and actually using it (yes, you heard me dear- I know you are reading this!) because he tends to be a 'little aggressive'. However, since I have now decided to quit riding like a girl, I'm wondering if I should practice what I preach... How many of you girls are actually sporting one? Of those who wear them, what brand did you choose and why? I am specifically interested in ones that are intended for a woman's smaller and more front heavy-frame...

I'm going to be getting one shortly. After smashing my chest a couple times last year and it took months to heal my rib...I realized it doesn't take alot to really hurt yourself and a vest would've protected me.
I started looking and asking around and it seems most of the girls that mountain ride and are more aggressive ALL have vests! (and knee and elbow pads!) It seems that most prefer the coresaver 661, and the klim teckvest was fairly popular. There is someone on here that recommened a vest to me awhile back..forum vendor maybe?...I'm going to go search my PMs and see what that was cuz it sounded like an option...I'll let you know what that one was.

PS...so glad to hear you're not gonna ride like a girl anymore!!!! It was that day a couple weeks ago when you found the Ladies Ride forum wasn't it??? :D

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally don't ride with one. I have never had an issue of hitting my chest (knock on wood) and it would be just one more piece of gear to have :rolleyes:

I do ride with knee pads though, cuz I hit my knees on everything!!

There is a thread on the Ladies Ride about tek vests and which ones are the best... I think the popular one with the ladies is 661.

DragonDiva

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After this year's crash that resulted in my shattered collarbone, I have also been looking at getting a vest. I will probably go with Klim's since I have access to a klim dealer. I did look at the 661 vest online but I would like to try one on but can't find a dealer anywhere near me.

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After this year's crash that resulted in my shattered collarbone, I have also been looking at getting a vest. I will probably go with Klim's since I have access to a klim dealer. I did look at the 661 vest online but I would like to try one on but can't find a dealer anywhere near me.

Ouch!! :( That sucks. Hope you are healing quickly! :) I would also like to try out the 661. Looks way less bulky and more comfortable than some of the others.

DragonDiva

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ouch!! :( That sucks. Hope you are healing quickly! :) I would also like to try out the 661. Looks way less bulky and more comfortable than some of the others.

The healing is going slow. Been 7 weeks tomorrow. Just started physio and working on getting range of motion back in my arm.

The worst is hearing my hubbie tell me how great my sled runs while I sit in the hotel. :( I was really looking forward to going to Revy for the Ladies Ride. Hopefully, next years ride is somewhere close so I can try to go.

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The healing is going slow. Been 7 weeks tomorrow. Just started physio and working on getting range of motion back in my arm.

The worst is hearing my hubbie tell me how great my sled runs while I sit in the hotel. :( I was really looking forward to going to Revy for the Ladies Ride. Hopefully, next years ride is somewhere close so I can try to go.

That would be the worst part....:rant::tearhairout: I would have to banish mine from riding without me for the rest of the season :treaten:.....bad things happen when he rides without me....;)
You should be good and healed for next season when you can go to the LR and leave him behind lol!!!:d

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at my hockey equipment... hmmmm.... just kidding!!

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes - both guys and girls - get a tech vest. This weekend I hit a stump with my A arm and stopped me instantly . The relavent part is that I hit the handle bars with my chest and winded my self. If I was going any faster - it would have been worst. A tech vest would have helped. I worry that when you have a relative simple flip over- that the handle bar butt (end ) catches you in the chest and busts ribs and pucntures lungs (with broken ribs) or worse. I want to get a tech vest for my son when he is going to ride with me on the quad for the same reasons.

cheers:beer::beer:

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes - both guys and girls - get a tech vest. This weekend I hit a stump with my A arm and stopped me instantly . The relavent part is that I hit the handle bars with my chest and winded my self. If I was going any faster - it would have been worst. A tech vest would have helped. I worry that when you have a relative simple flip over- that the handle bar butt (end ) catches you in the chest and busts ribs and pucntures lungs (with broken ribs) or worse. I want to get a tech vest for my son when he is going to ride with me on the quad for the same reasons.

cheers:beer::beer:

exactly guys and girls get one i have the klim one very very comfy you don't even know its there and it does help you a lot handlebars hurt a lot when they catch you in the ribs

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 661,, its great and has a huge back guard,, It is the mesh model and I cut the arms below the elbow for sleding and slip them back on for dirt, I never seem to hit my forearms sleding and its too hot with full arms. I also use knee pads they are life saving.

but I crash a lot,, I roll a lot, I hit trees a lot,, no more whip lash from trees with the armour lol

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know who would carry the 661 Core Saver in the Edmonton area??:dunno:

most motocross stores will carry them,,, so any big name store should have them,, check out sizing then I ordered mine on line from ,, they carry lots of sled gear and good prices on lots of stuff and they try and pack it like a gift to save some taxes... but the dollar was at par at the time so the price localy could good as well.. $180 i think cant remeber. I also have 661 knee pads. 3rd year evrything else HMK,, great stuff

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found a small/medium 661coresaver on pinkbike.com for $75 bucks-worn twice. Anybody ever shop off that site? The vest is in Kamloops, so I'd have to send money and i am worrying about getting scammed...

Thanks for the link Tam- I was looking at those last night and wondered if they looked all that comfortable. Question answered.

Sledgirl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought my 661 at Riverside, $159 a few years back. My husband had the Tekvest, prefered the 661 so I got one from cyclegear.com last fall for $79.
Neither of us would ever ride without now.

A buddy went over the front end of his XP, landed on his ribs on the shock/spindle. He bought a vest after those ribs broke.

skidoogirl

Reaction score
I got a freestyle a couple weeks ago. I really like it and it's very comfortable except for one thing. It's too big, and it's an xs. Thinking I should have gotten the youth size, the size chart isn't really that accurate. I can cinch the waist down so it fits fine. But the shoulder pads stick way up and are pretty big. So I think that might be why when wearing a backpack (always!) it puts pressure right on the front of my shoulder. It hits a nerve there and sends pain clear through my arms. It's mostly when riding tight trees (so steering a lot) but I almost had to take it off last weekend. I'm thinking of putting more padding there since I've worn it and can't exchange it now.

Otherwise I love it and love that it has more rib protection than the 661. Took a few smaller hits to the bars and didn't even feel them. But if I can't figure this out I won't be wearing it so...... I think it's mostly cause it's too big so the edge hits a different spot than if it fit properly.

backseatrider

Reaction score
I have the Klim vest and like it. It does keep you warm and I find the shoulders help keep your back pack straps from cutting in. My only complaint would be that once you have it on, it limits your vision when you look down at your toes.

found

Reaction score
I got a Klim. I broke my back (compression fracture T-8) 2 years ago in January. Riding in crusty snow and got high speed wobble even though it was not high speed, but lost control real fast and ended up getting thrown into handlebars and then came down with my back onto handlebars and then got tossed off sled. I did not ride last season (was still healing) but wear the vest now because maybe, just maybe it would not have ended up as severe. The Klim is definately warm but I don't notice that it is there and they do seem to fit smaller. I thought I would need a medium but I ended up with a small.
And it is an extra bit of confidence cause I now know, I do break :) (First time I ever broke a bone)

Top Bottom