Technical Riding Courses

Shovelking780

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good technical riding courses for mountain riding. Looking for something to improve skills and build confidence for mountain riding. Skill level beginner intermediate I have done some local riding from trails, open fields to cut lines, ditches etc and to the mountains once. I have started my AST 1 with classroom session and field session to follow shortly. Looking to improve skills and take the sport further.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try a Chris Brown riding clinic his site is Ridewithchrisbrown I went last year and well be returning again this year

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another vote for a Ride with Chris Brown clinic. Especially if you are at the beginner/intermediate stage you will get the most out of it. I've done the course with him in Golden the past 2 years. You'll get lots of riding instruction, but I found the biggest improvement to my riding was the confidence boost I gained from being in the course.

I'm thinking about joining again this weekend, but I just don't think I can swing it this year.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
X4 Chris Brown. I am doing it again this year. I have to learn how to jump 40 foot trees after getting stuck lol.

You still getting stuck and worried about trees???????

I know both Chris (Sea to Sky highway area) and Andy (Fernie). Either one would be great and both would greatly improve your riding ability. I guess it just depends where you want to travel to for your riding. One just can't beat Chris's back yard on the Pemberton Ice field!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The price is just for the course. In mcbride we stayed at the terracanna ranch. Cost was 100 per night including breakfast lunch and dinner. Booze is extra.

bj_lucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any good technical riding courses for mountain riding. Looking for something to improve skills and build confidence for mountain riding. Skill level beginner intermediate I have done some local riding from trails, open fields to cut lines, ditches etc and to the mountains once. I have started my AST 1 with classroom session and field session to follow shortly. Looking to improve skills and take the sport further.

What skills are you looking to improve from said "technical course"?

If you haven't watched schooled 1 and 2 yet, do yourself a huge favor and buy those. If you have seen them, watch them over and over and over. Till you got it drilled into mind so it's just second nature. I musta watched those videos a hundred times each. Trust me, they have all the info needed from every riding senerio to getting your sled unstuck to riding infront of your sled.

Unless its hill climbing then I believe the steps are as follows; pin throttle, hold on, turn out when sphincter is puckered or your stuck nose high.... Lol.

But seriously, those videos plus a good set of riding buddies that push you to progress is gonna make you a much better rider. When one guy cuts a nice line it motivates you to either follow or better his line. If every one is just ok riding the easy stuff no one gets better.

Dont get me wrong. I'd love to ride with burandt skinner and rasmussen one day. But more for the fun of riding with the guys that had gotten us to the level of riding we are at.

Anyways that just my honest opinion of bettering yourself as a rider.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride lots. Go where the trees are too thick, the creeks are too steep, and get stuck a lot. Learn how to get unstuck by yourself. Ride with people who are better than you. Technical riding has more to do with experience and quick decision making.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride lots. Go where the trees are too thick, the creeks are too steep, and get stuck a lot. Learn how to get unstuck by yourself. Ride with people who are better than you. Technical riding has more to do with experience and quick decision making.

well when are we riding lol.... my season is weak so far :(

hope to catch you guys for some fernie days

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What skills are you looking to improve from said "technical course"?

If you haven't watched schooled 1 and 2 yet, do yourself a huge favor and buy those. If you have seen them, watch them over and over and over. Till you got it drilled into mind so it's just second nature. I musta watched those videos a hundred times each. Trust me, they have all the info needed from every riding senerio to getting your sled unstuck to riding infront of your sled.

Unless its hill climbing then I believe the steps are as follows; pin throttle, hold on, turn out when sphincter is puckered or your stuck nose high.... Lol.

But seriously, those videos plus a good set of riding buddies that push you to progress is gonna make you a much better rider. When one guy cuts a nice line it motivates you to either follow or better his line. If every one is just ok riding the easy stuff no one gets better.

Dont get me wrong. I'd love to ride with burandt skinner and rasmussen one day. But more for the fun of riding with the guys that had gotten us to the level of riding we are at.

Anyways that just my honest opinion of bettering yourself as a rider.

I am in agreement with that. In order of importance to me:

1.) Watch Schooled 1 and 2. Practice it until it is second nature. My daughter and I spent an entire day by the radio tower of Hunter's Range just playing on how long we could sidehill. Best day I ever spent for bettering my ability.
2.) Learn to get unstuck by yourself. You ride hard and stick alot - your buds don't always want to help. Sahen Skinner is the king of teaching you this invaluable skill.
3.) Go ride with someone. I have ridden with St. Onge, Burandt, Skinner and Rasmussen. I will be checking out Karl Kuster this year as well too. Chris and Geoff Kyle are on my list for a Whistler trip next year.

There is one thing that these guys have to adopt - and it is some form of "real time" technology. I had a long talk about this with Chris and Sahen. I take lessons\get coaching for a lot of other stuff - horseback, snow skiing, motocross and barefoot waterskiing. As I get older, I get sloppy. I am also not as strong as I once was and technique is more important. That is the one thing having a pro watch you really helps. In skiing, motocross, horseback there have been two constants among those coaches. #1. I am usually being videoed. It really helps to see what I am screwing up. Second - someone is talking in my ear and telling me what to do. I know I learn well that way. If I take a motocross lesson and there is two way communication between me and the coach - we can do it on a snowmobile. Then you are getting feedback as you are doing it, not afterward.

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree w a few of the guys. Git out and ride and ride hard, where theres no track go check it out. When ur at the top of a treed hill and nobodies been down and doesnt look like u can get out, drop in. That hill is to steep to sidehill with a row of trees below u? No its not, give it a shot. (Well sometimes it is, but thats y u have buddies to give ya a hand)

Now this doesnt work for everyone and definately not to the extreme asap, but this is how the guys i ride with and i have progressed to pushing ourselves to being happy, beat and full of fish stories at the end of each riding day

2Quickrides

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is exactly how it should be done. The videos alone will make a big difference, but only so much. If money allows I'll be taking CB's clinic this year, if not then next year.
I wouldn't stop with Schooled 1 and 2, 3 and 4 have good info as well. 5 on the other hand seems like they're turning it into just another sled video.

I am in agreement with that. In order of importance to me:

1.) Watch Schooled 1 and 2. Practice it until it is second nature. My daughter and I spent an entire day by the radio tower of Hunter's Range just playing on how long we could sidehill. Best day I ever spent for bettering my ability.
2.) Learn to get unstuck by yourself. You ride hard and stick alot - your buds don't always want to help. Sahen Skinner is the king of teaching you this invaluable skill.
3.) Go ride with someone. I have ridden with St. Onge, Burandt, Skinner and Rasmussen. I will be checking out Karl Kuster this year as well too. Chris and Geoff Kyle are on my list for a Whistler trip next year.

There is one thing that these guys have to adopt - and it is some form of "real time" technology. I had a long talk about this with Chris and Sahen. I take lessons\get coaching for a lot of other stuff - horseback, snow skiing, motocross and barefoot waterskiing. As I get older, I get sloppy. I am also not as strong as I once was and technique is more important. That is the one thing having a pro watch you really helps. In skiing, motocross, horseback there have been two constants among those coaches. #1. I am usually being videoed. It really helps to see what I am screwing up. Second - someone is talking in my ear and telling me what to do. I know I learn well that way. If I take a motocross lesson and there is two way communication between me and the coach - we can do it on a snowmobile. Then you are getting feedback as you are doing it, not afterward.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
I have never rode with any of the professionals but would like to some day. I will also again say if you don't own any of the Schooled DVDs they are worth it. 1 and 2 are a must, 3 and 4 are pretty good and 5 is lacking but still shows some nice riding. Here is a link Burandt just shred on his Facebook page. I am following all these guys just to see what they are doing lately.

Hellriders TV - S1Ep2 - Burandts Backcountry Adventure on Vimeo

Ride Whistler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The lodging is different for each location....after the date and location it gives a lodging price. Golden is $50/night and we all stay in the same lodge and can cook together or go out. McBride is $105 per night including 3 meals. Everything is here:

Hope this helps.

Chris does price on website include hotel or no ? Doesn't really specify

Top Bottom