T3 computer swap on older xm???

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One major thing I have noticed with the new t3's even the 15's vs my 13xm is the throttle response and just overall crispness of how the sled preforms and I don't recal my 13xm ever being quite that "hot". So my question is has anyone swapped a computer from a 2015 t3 or just summit on an older xm?

Maybe my sled is just getting tired but I swear it never ran that crisp with the throttle response of these 15's from day one. It seems like mostly tuning to me I don't think the porting changed and the pipes are the same injectors are same that I know of.

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Without looking up the actual specs on the gearing and clutch calibration between your 13 XM and the 15 T3 I am going to assume the T3 is geared lower which is going to result in some of that throttle response you noticed.

Above that, there were some motor calibration changes each year. Take the 2010.5 Etec, with its hot ecm and timing advance plus the cylinder porting it was a great performer. In 2011 the porting wasn't the same. Simpy going to 2012 cylinder on a 2011 motor woke it up. In 2013 it seemed to take a step back once again with the production XM's. I believe the clutching was the same on the 2012/2013 sleds so was there some porting changes? Maybe some engine calibration changes to ensure those great long warranty's that were offered were going to lead to longer lasting motors? I have no idea, but I know of several 2012's that required motors under 2000 miles. There were also quite a few stator issues in the 2011 and early 2012 etecs and I believe the stator size was increased for 2013 which could tame the motor down. The 2014's onward felt better and since seem to perform better and I am sure some further engine management calibrations lead to that.

Every year there are minor refinements that are never discussed or advertised by the manufacturer. BRP is constantly tweaking the sleds and unless you are a good tuner or work along side those who are good are picking out those differences most of the rides will assume there are no noticeable changes.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just like the new G4 ?? It will be lazy like every other new year motor.
Some will be arguing or this but have seen it on every new model year.
Proto comes out strong and production sleds , not so much .
Buy last year before production change seems to be the strongest ?
Flame away. Lol

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2014 is better tuning than your 2013 and the 2015 is better tuning than 2014....
Sell your 2013 and buy a 2015+ would be the cheapest. Doesn't need to be a T3, SP is tuned identical.
T3 has the difference gearing ratio, lightened gears and the 1lb lighter brake disc, all of which help.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you did want to try the swap, probably would work but would need ecm dess key stator and maybe a 2015 jug or engine, then would be good to go. if porting was tweaked then the 2015 fuel curve may or may not be better, really though gearing and clutching would be easier and way cheaper.

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be a bit of work on the buds to get it to run properly. Voice coils and oil pump have to matched to the ECM. There are serial numbers on them that need to be entered. Also the stator has been getting stronger each year as well. I'm not sure if that would affect the performance if the ECM isn't seeing the required voltage?

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I wasn't talking about specifically a t3 computer a buddy has a 2015 x and the thing just rips and feels so strong and so crisp. I've played with clutching and I've done gearing in the past I know what changing the gearing feels like on a sled and this is isn't it there just "hotter" I kind of figured the dess would be an issue. Next year hopefully a new 850 is going to happen so I don't wana dump mine for a 15.

Just thinking as I sit here in the grain cart that's all more of a curiosity thing than anything I don't plan on sinking any money into my sled this season other then maintenance stuff.

thanks guys

p.s I don't think it's mostly the stater giving issues its the fly wheel that seems to peel off from the inside and act like a razor when it comes apart on your stator wiring. A buddy toasted a stator last year because of this and I have a new flywheel on the bench I JUST cought mine it's was starting to peel

Last edited:

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It would be a bit of work on the buds to get it to run properly. Voice coils and oil pump have to matched to the ECM. There are serial numbers on them that need to be entered. Also the stator has been getting stronger each year as well. I'm not sure if that would affect the performance if the ECM isn't seeing the required voltage?

^^^ this is your main problem along with the displays are matched to the ecm as well. 2014 had revised head, raves, injectors, and computer. 2015 they revised fuel map nothing with the motor. So in summary with what tower rigger says, your 2013 won't be as good as a 14 or 15. But with clutching it can be made to feel the same as the later years.

Top Bottom