synthetic/ regular oil

plumloco

Reaction score
1st of all...we have used quality synthetic 2 cycle oil in our 05 Switchback since new... today my son was out and in need of oil, the gas station only carried regular 2 cycle oil so without another option he bought and used it.
I have read numerous threads that this should never be done.
Do we need to drain the reservoir and start fresh or can we just go back to synthetic and keep on riding....any advice would be appreciated.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're okay to just add your regular synthetic oil to the tank without draining what is in there.

St0rm77

Reaction score
like the 2 others mentioned above: just add to the tank whatever you usually run. long term use of non synthetic will gum up your exhaust valves.

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I can't stress enough the importance of the proper warm-up.

I couple of guys I sold TorqueMaster 800's called me about break-in........

My Answer was Drain the oil tank of all the POlaris Gold VES oil and never run it again, ( Run Cheap good old fashion Petroleum Oil ) heat cycle them a few times and then ride it like a rental.

Come back response -

Heat cycle ???????? what do you mean.........

Then ride it like a rental ????????? Are you serious ????

I said start the sled up and let it get COMPLETELY warmed up to operating temp & then let it completely cool OUTSIDE and then do it again the next day.

Then Ride it like a rental, Let it have it with both barrels.

As far as Oil goes ( this could rasie some hell!!!! )

I am coinsidering VOIDING the three year warranty ( IF ) Polaris GOLD VES oil is used ( OR ) AMSOIL.

My Oils of choice

#1 - The cheap Castrol Oil
#2 - OLD Polaris BLUE ( Not the new stuff )
#3 - Old green Cat Petroleum OIL )

NO SYNTHETICS.

And I don't give a sh!t about the Valves ( CLEAN THEM )

EVERY CRANK I SEE WITH OLD OIL LOOKS BETTER AND HAS NO RUST!!!!!!

I have had countless motors aprt lately with Polaris VES Gold all to find bad pump seals and the O-rings completely detroyed by VES GOLD!!!!!

I can prove it 100%.

WPS ( Western Power Sports ) sells Castrol Oil it comes in a crapy looking green bottle and it retails for $19.95

I don't really care what anyone uses in my motors as long as its 100% Petroleum and ZERO SYNTHETIC.

I have some oil samples sent out to a testing company and some used bearing and if I can prove what type of oil is being run without a shadow of a doubt I am going to VOID the warranty of all my Bottom-ends for any oil related problems that have Polaris VES Gold or AMSOIL used in them.

Ok back to the Warm-up.

I have a guy that has worked for me part time for 15 years and out of all the motors I have built him Bigger and more modded then average motors.

He basicly never has crank or piston problems.

What does he do that most do not do................. He brings a big crank up stand with him every where he goes and lifts the entire sled and warms it up and the belt & track for at least a 1/2 hour before he even takes it down for fuel. Then the sled sits around and heat soaks for the next 1/2 hour.

Now for all you guys that fill up the night before so you can ( Pull and go ) the second you walk out the door. You will have more motor problems then the guy that warms it up.

The single most important thing you can do ( IMO )

Warm your sled up
Shut it off and let it heat soak
then drive to down for fuel and fill it up
Its heat soaking again.
Now your ready to ride.

The colder it is outside the harder you need to work to slowly warm your sled up.

Another note.............. He has NEVER been blowen a belt sense he started riding.

That also goes for me.................. I have NEVER blowen a belt on my own sled.........NEVER. However I have blowen a few on customer sleds.

The warm up of the track and belt is priceless.

Its all very simple WARM-UP-WARM-UP-WARM-UP.

( Most ) crank problems on ALL makes of sleds are do to improper warm-up. PERIOD.

The factory is wrong about injector oil and so are most oil salesman.

Trust me, Amsoil salesman know little to nothing about oil, They only know what they have been programed by all the stupid flyiers given out by by the company of the product they pedal.

Tell me how many Amsoil guys would warranty your bottom-end for 3 years................

Syntheics have a place............I use " Extreme Blue Valvaline " In my Cummins in the winter and the trucks cranking ability is WAY better no doubt about it.

But as far as a sled motor goes the old stuff is BETTER.

Trust me them old Oil-injector pumps can just about pump tar, The oil doesn't need low pour points.

And 100:1 in every tank full is absolute utter magic, I have done it for 20 years and so have all my close friends.

1 pint per full tank full is about 100:1 close enough you don't need to measure just a close guess.

Happy riding!!!

Dan
Phone 651-388-9045

read this on snowwest​

Top Bottom