Switching from xm to axys

extrmsled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a 2016 174 now how does the 174 axys compare,
or maybe the 163 . I only ride trees in revy
tried buddies 14 pro with turbo works well
but heard the axys is night and day better handling .
unless you've tried both don't tell me Polaris is junk over the doo

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 13 pro 163 and a 15 xm 174 ....also rode several days on a 16 axys 163....Axys was night and day difference from the pro.......Xm way easier to get on edge and perfer the handling of the xm. Currently riding a yamaha sidewinder.

Last edited:

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to derail this post but I really like it. It handles so well compared to its previous models. Powers is smooth and responsive. If you search my posts I have a review in the general section under wicked day on sidewinder or snowest under general section.

DV-ENT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I currently ride a 2016 163 3" axys with a 36" front end as well as a 2013 163 2.5" with a 36" front end. All I ride is trees and i weigh 270 with my gear and avy bag. I ride with 4 or more 2016 174 T3s and have nothing but great things to say about them and have ridden them a few times so i have some experience with the T3 174. I to rode a 2012 pro with a boost it turbo this past weekend and it flat out rips but still handles like a pro. i would'nt trade my axys for any of them and can say this now only as a result of the 36" front end. i can travel faster through the trees on both inclines as well as descents than i can on the 174 T3 and I personally prefer that style of riding for myself. That being said the T3 174 does'nt have to go as fast to achieve the same results, the common word i hear from most of the guys i ride with is the T3 174 is like a "tractor" Again i cant stress enough the difference the 36" front end made for me... soooo much easier to get on edge and a huge improvement on down hill turns on marginal snow. If you get a chance try one out. good luck with your choice.

Last edited:

extrmsled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tried a couple sidewinders at yamafest and I felt they were very heavy to handle in the trees.
no question if we rode like most and hit all the main areas on the hills and only some trees I'd have one.
have gone through some pretty wicked side hills with my doo but don't want to limit what I can do
maybe a 174 axys with 36 front would work

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I honestly think you can't go wrong with either axys or xm/G4. Both have their positives.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have a custom built 2016 Axys 174 and love it. It works very well. I have a few friends that have a 174 T3 and the sleds are very good also. I have driven them lots and feel that my axys is a better sled in almost all areas. That being said, this is what i have done to mine to make that strong. First I bought an in season 163 2.6 pull start/ belt drive. I bought 174 rails and the new cameo 174 2.8 track. I geared the sled down with gears off of a pro. ( works out to be an 11% gear down for $100). I did some spring changes in the clutches and run a Jaws pipe. I also bought a n Exit X1 shock for the rear and the stock one was not good enough for a 174. I built this sled for much less then a snow check 174 LE from polaris.

IF you are comparing a stock axys to a stock 174 T3, i would say that the XM will out climb it. As for the other aspects, i feel the Axys holds a side hill much better and pops out of the snow faster. The bottom end is much stronger on the polaris, while the top end is stronger on the XM. I personally feel the XM is tippy and unprediticable and find the balance of the sled is off as you as so far forward on them. Another thing that i like about the XM is that its smoother on the trail. The Axys isn't as plush and needs to be ridden hard to get the benefit of the rigid chassis.

Now, if you have a an Axys with an upgraded track, and a pipe, it will out climb the XM and match or maybe even be a bit stronger on the top end. The stock track isn't very good and a pipe is honestly 10hp with theses sleds. It wakes them up big time. With how my sled is set up it is quite a bit faster than an XM T3 and even the 850 165 3". I had a Pro 163 before this and the Axys is better in every way.

Im 230 with out my gear and tall. So for me the tippy XM is uncomfortable, i prefer to have the stability of the Axys chassis. Just my 2 cents.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I switched to an axis 4 weeks Ago. I really like it. Power wise it's great on short pulls. Long climbs I got my ass handed to me by every sled last Sunday.and The new cat was still accelerating where I was turning out. All good. I didn't buy it to high mark. I bought it for the trees which is where it shines. I'm hauling ass in the tight bush on it. Pulled a cord on my first belt at 700 km. I'm eating belts on every sled I've owned due to throttle habits and my endurance. I don't stop much. 7 xms since 2013 and my best belt was 600 km. I'm loving my sled and I'm sure you will love the axis.

extrmsled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealers all say the 2.6 is just as good as the 3" because of the belt dive on the 2.6, and chain
case on the 3
less rotating mass
whats everyone's thought on this

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealers all say the 2.6 is just as good as the 3" because of the belt dive on the 2.6, and chain
case on the 3
less rotating mass
whats everyone's thought on this

I demo'd a 163 3" for a weekend and coming from a cat the Polaris felt like it lacked big time in power. I bought a 155 2.6 and went into it knowing I would need to add some power. After riding it my opinion changed completely. Not even a comparison in power to the bigger track. Felt like it didn't give anything up in power compared to the cat

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
don't waste your time on on a 3" track. they are horrible. get the 2.6 and the belt drive. The polaris 3" doesnt work very well.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 2.6" track works very well but that said there have been conditions that buddies 3" worked better. Depends on how set up the snow is. The AXYS with the belt drive really needs to be geared down to 2.42:1 for long clutch belt life and for creeping out of stucks as easy as the chain case models. Sure it will do it but it is much harder on it when in has a heavy load at slow speeds. Highly recommend the SLP pipe and can if you are looking for simple bolt on power. Polaris has good clutching but a few changes there make a noticeable difference too. Clip your track too or it will be shot at 1000-1500 kms if you sidehill.

ktmsx350f

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both an XM and an Axys. Also have had proclimbs and a pto rmk.The XM stock for stock climbs better and maintains track speed better climbing. Also like mentioned the XM is slightly easier to get on the side and sown hill decents the XM is a million times better. The Axys side hills better and flatter less effort and was less correctinf doesn't wash out or want to go up. Through the trees the Axys hands down the narrow feeling of the Axys is awesome and just whwn you think your stick pun and shake it and it comes out. I put a 36" kit on my Axys and really like it. It still won't role side to side like the xm down hill but out gandles it in every other way. I dis turbo the Axys though because i felt the power was flat and mellow gokd bottem but lazy on the top and lots way to much track speed vs a xm or cat. AXYS with 8# IMO best sled going right now

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both an XM and an Axys. Also have had proclimbs and a pto rmk.The XM stock for stock climbs better and maintains track speed better climbing. Also like mentioned the XM is slightly easier to get on the side and sown hill decents the XM is a million times better. The Axys side hills better and flatter less effort and was less correctinf doesn't wash out or want to go up. Through the trees the Axys hands down the narrow feeling of the Axys is awesome and just whwn you think your stick pun and shake it and it comes out. I put a 36" kit on my Axys and really like it. It still won't role side to side like the xm down hill but out gandles it in every other way. I dis turbo the Axys though because i felt the power was flat and mellow gokd bottem but lazy on the top and lots way to much track speed vs a xm or cat. AXYS with 8# IMO best sled going right now
Did you type that with your sledding gloves on?
Good points tho. Pretty much exactly what my experience with the axys I rode as well. I own a 174t3 which is basically stock and for a little guy like me I liked the xm platform better. But that being said if I had put as many km on the poo as I have on my xm I might have been more comfortable and confident in it too.

Top Bottom