Swan hills

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drove past Swan Hills on Thursday on the way to Slave Lake. They were grooming their trails, snow is thin, showing grass where groomed in some spots in the ditch, it'll be deeper back in the bush. At Slave theres a couple of feet on the ground there, not a ton of tracks in the ditches. Lots cof snow back in the bush

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they have a trail system. Bound to be cut lines and the like though. They have 3 dealerships in Slave so I'd imagine there are places to ride there.

teamillusion

Reaction score
I was sledding at Swan Hills yesterday and the snow was okay. Knee deep in most areas. They could use more though.

Demon13

Reaction score
Near SH in the POW

Attachments

• Jan 09 004.jpg
    Jan 09 004.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 69

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am heading to Swan Hills this weekend to check out Goose Tower (i think).
How much snow is in town compared to out near goose usually?

Reason i ask is last year when i was in Swan we found these awesome well sites with earth berms to play in kind of south of Swan hills and i dont see any on google earth near goose tower....
Wonder if we should waste our time stageing in town and playing these well sites or if the snow level 'doubles' near goose we would just head out that way and skip the well sites for the 'POWDER !!

Thanks in advance.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am heading to Swan Hills this weekend to check out Goose Tower (i think).
How much snow is in town compared to out near goose usually?

Reason i ask is last year when i was in Swan we found these awesome well sites with earth berms to play in kind of south of Swan hills and i dont see any on google earth near goose tower....
Wonder if we should waste our time stageing in town and playing these well sites or if the snow level 'doubles' near goose we would just head out that way and skip the well sites for the 'POWDER !!

Thanks in advance.
Uassually close to double or more. Even from the road to the staging area snow increases with every km. :d

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got back today from Swan Hills. Stayed overnight saturday and must say not the greatest for accomadations and restaurants although i guess it is an oil and gas town.

Headed out from town both days in the western direction and found at least 3feet of POW in the cut lines that were protected from the sun and wind. There was a ton of untouched cut lines around town as well.

The cut-blocks werent so inviting however... wind and sun took most of the snow and you could definately feel the little surprises under the snow. Probably only 2' at most in the blocks. Need another foot at least in the blocks to be rideable.

Grinny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I was out there on Saturday and had a great ride. Plenty of snow. The cut lines were tonnes of fun. We started to play around on a small pond and found that the ice was pretty thin though. At first I thought it was just surface water, but when the ice in front of me started to give way I figured it was time to pin it and get to land.:eek: Aside from that no other incidents. I can't wait to go back this weekend!

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya in noticed that too Grinny that the ice wasnt completely frozen.

Kind of a scary moment, we got out on a small lake just south of town and my little bro who is a newbie rider was on my uncles 08' XP that i borrowed so he could come on the trip. All of a sudden i see the ass end of the XP kicking up slush, so i speed up to my bro and sure enough the lake wasnt frozen!!! :eek:
I got to shore ASAP trying to lead my bro there and prayed that my bro wasnt going to get stuck in the pow on that lake as there was 2' and he was practicing his carving............. He ended up making it back to shore after i was waving frantically at him from the side. He figured it out quick on the way back in when he started to slow down and the sled started sinking. He pinned it and made er back okay.

The snow was setting up big time on sunday as it was +4C compared to saturdays ride where i think it got up to zero only.

Have fun.

JJ69

Reaction score
Just got back today from Swan Hills. Stayed overnight saturday and must say not the greatest for accomadations and restaurants although i guess it is an oil and gas town.

The swan palace is by far the best food in town. the hotels are cheap so you cant expect much lol.
i live in Swan Hills.. love the place. its quiet and theres tons of freedom.

blair155

Reaction score
does anyone knoe how the snow is around swan hills this week??? is it worth a three hour drive ou there from around the edmonton are? thnx

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was up there on Family day weekend,there is alot of snow but what we found was it's hard to find a good riding place to play in.Alot of cut block with sticks and stumps,gotta becarefulIf you know the area good,i would say go.

JJ69

Reaction score
i had my quad out today in it.. lots of snow but you do have to watch the stumps and stuff.
theres 100kms of trail groomed from the rally on the 7th, im heading out this weekend with the quad to hit it

Demon13

Reaction score
hey JJ69 if you don't have a snowmobile then I take it you don't have a SNOWMOBILE trail pass which pays for the grooming of the trails that you are out rutting the ch!t out of making it rough for all the snowmobilers that buy there passes. GO BUY A SLED IF YOU WANT TO RIDE IN THE SNOW.

JJ69

Reaction score
i dont go ripping donuts on them or anything. i cant afford a sled and a quad like you guys. i gotta have my fun too.
the way i see it, its public land and its in MY town, so i'll ride wherever i want.

Demon13

Reaction score
OK then if your gonna be out there tearing up the groomed trails then you can at least go buy a snowmobile trail pass, then you can help pay for those nice smooth groomed trails that allow you to even get your quad off the trails around town because I know you wouldn't get very far if it wasn't for the groomed snowmobile trails.

Top Bottom