Swan hills accomadations

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
*** see below for new positive feedback based on 2013 stays ***

I would like to state my two cents on what I thought of the Grizzly motel in Swan Hills which we had the pleasure of staying at - overpriced d#g6ffffG *23:doh: . We were charged $150.00 a nite for what we were told was a 3 room suite, which turned out to be three beds in a small room. Place smelled of smoke as there seemed to be a smoking pit in the front entrance. I could go on and on about the conditions there but wont, but I wouldn't recommend it to any one and would stay at the other three in town or stay in Whitecourt.

On a positive note two thumbs up for the Swan Palace and Sammy's restaurants for good food priced right. One big Thumbs up for the efforts of the Swan hills Snow goers Sled club for keeping your extended trail system so well groomed and in top shape.:Happy6::Happy6:

Last edited by a moderator:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i also stayed in swan 1 night. we stayed across the road from the grizzly. Wife was scared when we pulled up not much to look at. went in and checked it out,small but clean, not bad. She then decided wanted to check out the others in town. Grizzly was very scary,tiles missing off walls in shower, stinky, smoky.........e.t.c. by the time we were done the place across the road from the griz was the cleanest and cheapest. 100 bucks for two adults and 1 kidlet. would stay again as i said was very clean just a little small.:)

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:beer:
I would like to state my two cents on what I thought of the Grizzly motel in Swan Hills which we had the pleasure of staying at - overpriced d#g6ffffG *23:doh: . We were charged $150.00 a nite for what we were told was a 3 room suite, which turned out to be three beds in a small room. Place smelled of smoke as there seemed to be a smoking pit in the front entrance. I could go on and on about the conditions there but wont, but I wouldn't recommend it to any one and would stay at the other three in town or stay in Whitecourt.

On a positive note two thumbs up for the Swan Palace and Sammy's restaurants for good food priced right. One big Thumbs up for the efforts of the Swan hills Snow goers Sled club for keeping your extended trail system so well groomed and in top shape.:Happy6::Happy6:

Yeah Switch brutal place. What can you say about a place that gives you a can of beer when you check in. It is the only place I stayed at that I was compelled to shovel the front step because I kept slipping on the ice build up every time I stepped out the front door. :eek:Basically I paid $150.00/ night and shovel the front step. You forgot to mention the mould and rot on the bath tub pannels (fake tile barker board) in the bath room. :eek: Every town has a " Grizzly Motel" so to speak. Every where else in town ( resturants, Gas stations etc) and the trails were top notch.

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we stayed at the Grizzly a few weeks back,charged $95/ night,but soon as we walked in and went to the bathroom it was leaking,place stunk bad.Only thing that helped us out that time was when i hit a stump the owner of a excavation company helped us out alot.
I hear the Derrick is the best place and the restaurant Swan Palace was pretty good as wel...The Hotel food sucked.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the derrick is the best in town stayed there for a couple weeks. best doesnt mean good, i stay in whitecourt now.

dfi

Reaction score
Switch and Zar, you didn't mention the high quality towels that were supplied at the $152/night along with the free beer :beer:and the free use of the snow shovel.
Bubbles Car Wash has better quality towels for wiping down your car then what the motel supplies. Bottom line is this place is disgusting.:(

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Switch, I was there he same night as you. We were the group that sledded in from Baptiste Lake. We were attempting to get to Whitecourt but the TCST was not well marked after the Athabasca river. You forgot to mention the police takedown in the middle of the night...twice..once @ 2AM and the other around 4AM...and as for the mold....im still wheezing from it 4 days later....oh and the towels...I thought motels/hotels had to use white towels so you could tell they were clean...not dark brown!

Oh....and the cab ride in the scummy cab to the burger baron...1 block up the street...$10...

All I can say is, next time we do this run to Whitecourt, we're getting gas and getting out of there ASAP! :d

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Raz,
I left out few details about the weekend, oh well we all learnt from this weekend!. Gald you all got home safe as the weather was pretty nasty when you left. We were a little worried about your safe return, and thanks for telling the rest of the story. Hope to see you again on the trail, happy sledding.:snowmobilers_wave:

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Switch, I was there he same night as you. We were the group that sledded in from Baptiste Lake. We were attempting to get to Whitecourt but the TCST was not well marked after the Athabasca river. You forgot to mention the police takedown in the middle of the night...twice..once @ 2AM and the other around 4AM...and as for the mold....im still wheezing from it 4 days later....oh and the towels...I thought motels/hotels had to use white towels so you could tell they were clean...not dark brown!

Oh....and the cab ride in the scummy cab to the burger baron...1 block up the street...$10...

All I can say is, next time we do this run to Whitecourt, we're getting gas and getting out of there ASAP! :d
I could hear the same ruckus next door and I heard " Police- Open UP " then I heard " where is the dope ???":eek: I didn't go and open our door to have a look. I wasn't sure if this was RCMP or some one playing a prank on his buddy. Whatever it was - it woke up the whole floor. I have to say I didn't sleep well that night ( even after the brutal day of a lot of stucks in the bush). Every town has its "Grizzly Hotel". Raz - how was the trip back home ? It was ugly weather Sunday AM . I imagine it was nto fun for the wife and kids riding with you. :beer:

Raz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I agree every town has it's own version of a Grizzly Motel but Im not sure that they get away with charging $100 and up per room. It's too bad cause I'd consider going back to explore the area if there were nice modern accommodations.

Ride home was cold....but we built a big fire for lunch and the sun came out which was nice. Ride to Swan Hills took us 1o hours and the ride back took us 6. It makes a big difference when you know where you're going.

We might need to volunteer and fix the signage in a few spots on our next trip out that way.:beer:

CL604

Reaction score
Hi There: I saw your posting with regards to the Grizzly Motel in SwanHills AB. I have never been there. I am getting sent there through my work for a few days. I am thinking that I should ask my employer if he is playing a joke on me. I am curious if I should go or not. I recently took this job as a HSE Coordinator. Could you give me your feedback as I am seeing posts here that look scary. I don't want to catch anything while there. What would you do in my spot?

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi There: I saw your posting with regards to the Grizzly Motel in SwanHills AB. I have never been there. I am getting sent there through my work for a few days. I am thinking that I should ask my employer if he is playing a joke on me. I am curious if I should go or not. I recently took this job as a HSE Coordinator. Could you give me your feedback as I am seeing posts here that look scary. I don't want to catch anything while there. What would you do in my spot?

We stayed there recently when we did our clubs overnight ride to Swan Hills from Flatbush. It's not 5star, but it has new management, rooms were clean, staff were helpful & friendly. Hell, we sat in the lobby, had a few drinks & ate pizza. The manager supplied plates & utensils for us, and extra chairs so our group of 7 could sit around. Even drove us to breakfast the next morning one of the staff did. I was concerned when reading this thread also, but was relieved that it did not as bad as reported. Place was full of construction workers that even took their muddy boots off so as not to track mud thru the whole joint. All in all it wasn't as bad as described previously. New management is turning the place around.

Note: bring shampoo

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I was in Swan the same weekend and booked into the Griz.
It's a basic work'n mans hotel, nothing fancy.
The room i had was clean and did not smell.
The new owner and his staff made us feel so much at home that I would definitely stay again....good people.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
*** see below for new positive feedback based on 2013 stays ***

Top Bottom