Swamp light vs maxxis zillas

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what about the swamp light vs the maxxis zilla's i have a heavy quad about 800lbs dry

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Zilla's on my rhino and it's around 1100lbs,.. they chew hard and get me through places I didn't even think of going before.

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride with a guy with swamp lights and I'm not sure why they call them "light" cause they weigh a tone.
All they seem to do is dig holes in mud and skeg, about the only thing I see from them is they wear well.
If you gave me a free set, I'd pay any difference to trade them on for Zillas.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've ran both. Put about 4000 kms on the 26" Swamp Lites, and have 2000 kms on the 26" Zillas so far. No contest, the Zillas are better in every situation.

madmann1

Reaction score
what about the swamp light vs the maxxis zilla's i have a heavy quad about 800lbs dry

This one is up my alley. Just did a swap from 27" swamplites to the 30" zillas. night and day diff. buy the zillas or a set of the old school mud bugs.

snow zillas* are way better(this is where the swamplites will leave you stuck)
logs and rocks Zillas * swamplites are narrow with no sidebite
trails swamplites* are smoother and more stable feeling at high speeds
sand zillas* swamplites are too narrow tread pattern and the dig in
reverse traction Zillas * cant back over a beer can with wet swamplites
mud Zillas * the side bite makes all the difference (close 60-40 split )

Side not I was passed by the same quad with stock tires in snow hill climbingon the dreaded swamplites.
Ihave also ridden the mud bugs and they are damn near as good as the zillas

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how can you compare 27 in tires to 31. not much of a comparison in my opinion. a comparison is the same size tire on the same quad in the same conditions. although the conditions, traction will change some after every pass through the mud.
from observation while riding with others, brp renegade 800 had the swamplite tires, through wet swampy areas, it needed full power and spun like crazy, still got stuck lots. bro in laws king 700 had mud bug tires 26in worn, it ent through the same places, less tire spin and stuck less. my king has 26 in mud lite xtrs, it wasn't running right, went through the same places, got stuck twice. overall i'd say go with the mud tire, leave the swamp lites at the store, unless you can try them out for yourself. for my money true mud tires are way rough riding, im happy with the xtr's mud bugs seem good, hear alot of good about zilla tires only not in action.
heavy quad = heavy winch + long bluesteel winch rope + buddy to help pull

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run the swamplites on my rhino, and am completely happy, worked well in the skeg i was in, and pretty good in the snow too, i bought them for one reason they are way cheaper!

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am impressed with my Zilla's and there are a few that can tell you about the whitemud quad rally and the long pit I did in 2 wheel drive,.. Most quads were getting stuck,.. hands down go Zillas or go home if you are on a budget.

scoobienorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am impressed with my Zilla's and there are a few that can tell you about the whitemud quad rally and the long pit I did in 2 wheel drive,.. Most quads were getting stuck,.. hands down go Zillas or go home if you are on a budget.

how many axles and diffs have you broke, you seem to do a lot of harder 4x4 trips and such, seems like everytime i take on something difficult with my rhino i break a rear axle or strip my front locker, last trip i went on 3 of the 4 rhinos had stripped front lockers.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how many axles and diffs have you broke, you seem to do a lot of harder 4x4 trips and such, seems like everytime i take on something difficult with my rhino i break a rear axle or strip my front locker, last trip i went on 3 of the 4 rhinos had stripped front lockers.

Haven't broken anything yet(knock on wood), I tried this weekend but didn't happen. But cleaning my rad and installing that TCP fan shroud sure paid off :thumbsup2: Temp never broke 190F

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Swamplights are ok on a really light machine.

they work awsome on most hardbottom stuff and they work great on trails.

BUT swamplite i found SUCK in manny other situations.

1: Deeper mud. firstly they ball up and thats no good so you have to spin them at some good RPMS to clean them out before you can move again.

THAT is never good because thats when you snap axels and strip diflock.

2: exiting ruts and holes OMG talk about frustrating. claw your way across a mudhole just to have your front end not being able to pull you out and just hopping and hopping. thats another way to snap things. on a lighter machine i can see them working better in this situation.

3: Sand Sucks with them period

basically. I sold off my Swamplites to someone with a smaller ATV and they have worked well for him last i heard anyways. my grizzly needs much more traction to crawl through things.

I personally have really agressive tires and i wouldnt trade them for anything less agressive. people ask me how i dont break axels.. fact is i dont have to work my machine as hard to crawl through things.

I can claw along blip my throttle to get through and the tires clean really well.

I hear simillar good things about the Zillas .. i know the Mudbugs cleaned well and the zillas aparently have simillar cleaning properties.

This is good because it allows you to use the traction you have instead of spinning your way through things brutishly @ high RPM.

the only time ive ever seen driveline's . axels , or CVs blow up on people is when they are rooting on it spinning tires at good RPM and then the dreaded Hookup happens and just snaps stuff.

just remember that. and also spinning tires might look really good on video but it doesnt actually help you get through the hole 99% of the time.

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well went with the 26 zilla's on the wife's quad and im going to try 27 mud cat's on mine tread is very simmilar to the zilla's let you know how the work when I get a chance to try them out

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run the swamplites on my rhino, and am completely happy, worked well in the skeg i was in, and pretty good in the snow too, i bought them for one reason they are way cheaper!

Ya get what ya pay for i guess ,Swamp lites are a joke.......

blumtn

Reaction score
I have run Zillas now for about a year with most of my riding on hardpack and snow. The only tire that will give the Zilla a run is the Bighorn. I like my Zillas and will run them bare and unless something better comes along will buy another set.
IMG_0071.jpg

Top Bottom