suzuki vinson won't fire

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i have a suzuki vinson 500 that got swamped. I've since changed the fluids and disassembled a bunch of the body and such on it. The trouble I'm having issues that it'll turn over but will not fire. I haven't pulled the spark plug as I'm not sure exactly where it is. It's sucking in air through the air box and it has fuel in it. What am I missing?

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull the plug and get a new one. Make sure the new plug has spark then trouble shoot from there.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take the plug out of the cylinder put the new plug in the spark plug boot and touch it to the cylinder head. Crank tge engine over and if it has spark you'll see the blue/white of the spark between the electrode.
If it's a twin cylinder pull both plugs and do one at a time. You tube it.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No need for YouTube that was a great description. I don't have a new plug right now but I'll try it with the old one. Thanks dale

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
drain the carb bowl too, might have water in the bowl.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Old plug still sparking. A bit of water was getting coughed out of the plug hole though. Might be i need to fill in with more oil and cycle it a few times and drain it again?

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Old plug still sparking. A bit of water was getting coughed out of the plug hole though. Might be i need to fill in with more oil and cycle it a few times and drain it again?
Pull it like a biotch for 15 minutes no choke no gas. Put the plug in choke and pull 3 to 4 times. If it doesn't start pull the plug and crank it over some more until nothing comes out and try the plug in it again no choke no gas.

If it still doesn't start pull the plug let it air out real good pour an ounce of fuel down the plug hole put the plug in and crank it over if she sputters give her some choke and pull.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you get it running keep her running till she runs smooth and on her own. Shut her down and check your oil, if it looks milky change oil and filter again. Repeat run and oil check until it doesn't look milky.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I swamped my Vinson once and other machines and these are the steps I took and have done with other machines as well. Note: this is my method and I am not telling anyone to do this but this has worked several times for me.

First thing I do is DO NOT TRY TO CRANK IT OVER! Water in the cylinder can bend rods and do other damage. I winch or lift the bike by the front end up in the air to dump any water out of the exhaust. I will also drain and refill the engine oil and change the filter.

Second I drain the carb and if I got water in the fuel tank I drain it as well. Refill with fuel and a little seafoam.

Third I pull the spark plug and pull it over by hand until water stops squirting out the plug hole. Then I crank the starter until it stops spraying water out the hole and install a new plug. I don't worry about shutting the gas off. A little fuel and seafoam down the cylinder doesn't hurt anything.

Four I drain the oil again and filter. Then I do something a little unconventional and some may disagree but I find this helps clean the crankcase and sweep it of water faster. I add 500ml of diesel and top off to normal level with engine oil. One can also use seafoam instead of diesel. It's good to add to oil as well.

Six-I usually don't have an issue getting it to start at this point but if I do it's usually just a matter of pulling the plug, drying it off, confirming spark and good to go once it gets some good clean fuel. Once I get it running I run it for about 10min or so and then dump oil and change filter. Refill with oil only and repeat this cycle until the oil is clean. Usually two cycles after the diesel treatment and it cleans right up but sometimes it takes more.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for all the responses guys. I've never rebuilt a carb before and I think the pull start is pooched due to lots of water and mud getting into it over years. I'll take the tips and work on it today and see what I achieve.

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You dont really have to rebuild the carb so much as just pull the slide out and carb cleaner it.
infact if you let the bowl drain for 5 or so seconds it will probably be free of water.

If its coughing fuel/fumes out the plug hole when you crank its getting gas.

If the bowl has water in it then it will have major issues and the water will sit there too.

If a bowl drain doesn't work though then pull the carb out and carb cleaner it with the slide out. make sure none of the circuits are plugged and things like that.

pull start might be just clogged up also just pull the cover off and spray it out unwind the rope and clean the rope etc.

if it continues to not start with both carb clean and spark coming from plug then it can be something more complex like the cdi or stator/coil. weak spark can cause things to happen but usually it will try to fire if you see spark on the plug.

good luck man these issues can be troubling.

also if your valves are not adjusted properly a bike will be hard to start they will tighten up over time and become hard to start.

as well if fuel mixture is wrong but since you didn't mess with the carb it should not be the case.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On a Vinson put a switch hidden some where on the quad that kills the power. With the key off and even out, you can plug anything into the power outlet and fire it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dirty water/crud/mud can enter the cvk36 keihin carb through the bowl drain line. I would remove the float bowl and clean all the jets. Install an inline fuel filter and a golf tee , or one way check valve to stop it from happening again.

Here is a link for your carb I believe

A looped crankcase vent tube will also help with not allowing water into the crankcase if you ingest water through the airbox
8b664c3253a154bd8f9c9b4ef1474926.jpg

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a atmospheric chamber designed that if your float malfunctions the fuel will be allowed to escape out the overflow tube. That is a much better option than having fuel dump out on top of your hot engine.

Top Bottom