Suspension setup on 2up

cappel

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Sport Touring 550 2 up I am trying to get set up for the rear suspension and am looking for some help. Mainly I am wondering what to do with the extremem "sag" the sled has with two ppl on it riding trail. This sled is mainly for hauling two ppl plus gear out to the mtns. to snowboard. It pretty much sticks to the trail as it's not a powder or boondocking machine you know? Anyway, it's an xtra-10 rear skid with the indy select rear shock. So i'm thinking about turning the compression valve adjustment screw in (clockwise) a little to increase compression and stiffen the ride. The torrsion spring cam is in the up position which I believe would make the torrsion in the hardest position, meaning stiffest. Also i'm wondering about getting this sled to float a little more in the powder when I do take it off trail. There are two limiter straps in front and one in the back. The manual I have says nothing about adjusting the back limiter strap though. I recently adjusted the front limiter straps on my MM, I had them all the way out and by pulling them in about half way, the sled floated better. Would the same thing apply to this sled? Would I be able to tighten the rear limiter on this Polaris and improve it's float? The current position of the rear scissor stop is with the "marker dot" to the back of the sled. For the least weight transfer I believe I have to turn the stop with the "marker dot" or position marker to the front right? Or do I just need to revalve the rear indy select shock and get stiffer, thicker torrsion springs? Thanks for everyones help in advance!

Bret

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
suspension set up ie transfer, is going to be the same prinicipal short track/longtrack or two up.

typically the two up will already have stiffer springs in the back that are adjustable with the turn of a triangular cam on the short end of the spring.
You should be able to get a heavier or lighter spring from the oem as all riders are different sizes..

the duty of the shock is to affectively cushion the ride it is somewhat adjustable, the spring is where you can fine tune it, or put a stiffer spring for heavier passengers. Also realize that the springs can wear out...or lose there tension.

some two up sleds/work sleds.have an "overload" spring (arctic cat ) that is an additional load adjustment for rougher trails or bigger loads.

hope this helps you out.

T

nitro-express

Reaction score
There are a few things to consider; one is that the stock shocks do not last very long, they don't work very well for very long.
I'd replace the rear suspension shock with a Fox PPS. Adjust the FRSS block to its tightest setting and the RRSS for more transfer, (move the RRSS to the back hole and couple it on the tightest setting.)
Another consideration is the front springs and shocks, touring sleds tend to have springs stiffer than they need to be and have poor quality shocks. The symptom of too stiff of a ski spring or setting too stiff is the sled will tend to launch on small finger drifts. Again a set of Fox shocks and springs off an XC usually solves this.
You can change the middle shock and spring but the gain is minimal.
The function of the rear limiter strap is a complete mystery for me, the only time I could see using it would be for ice oval racing to limit the travel and lower the center of gravity. The front limit strap is used for ski pressure and deep snow considerations. I'd loosen the rear limiter all the way.
The sport touring is a nice sled but the stock shocks are very poor and tightening the compression valve seems to make the shock very slow to rebound, I hate them.

cappel

Reaction score
Thanks for everyones help. I am sure the stock springs and rear shocks are shot so i'll be in the market this summer for some stiff stocker springs in the rear and a new rear shock. I am going to loosen the front limiters straps all the way too, though I think they already are. Hopefully this all can be done with the least amount of funds possible you know? Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.

Top Bottom