Suspension lift on toy hauler?

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there an easy way to gain some lift on a torsion bar suspension system? Has anyone figured out if they could add some air shocks or air bags to a trailer with this type of suspension? If I could lift the trailer just to gain some extra clearance getting in and out of some random camp sites I would be a lot happier with our trailer. The trailer has custom skid plates installed that help protect some of the areas that rub but I still do not like to drag it.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Destroyer put metal blocks between the chassis and torsion axle of his 2place aluminum tilt sled trailer.

How about bigger tires?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did metal blocks also. 6" lift. She's a big drop from the bottom step when I've had to many rum's. a shop in Nisku did it for me. It wasn't cheap but I had to get it done right or I'd be buying a lot of tires if it wasn't perfect and straight.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did metal blocks also. 6" lift. She's a big drop from the bottom step when I've had to many rum's. a shop in Nisku did it for me. It wasn't cheap but I had to get it done right or I'd be buying a lot of tires if it wasn't perfect and straight.

How big a trailer is it? Ours is a 36 foot fifth wheel. It looks like a block is the only option to lift with these types of axles.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard of guys flipping leafs?

Regardless I am subscribed

He said it's torsion axles so there's no leafsprings. I'm pretty sure blocks like was said is the only way. Unless you can upgrade to a bigger, taller torsion set up but the trailer will probably bounce like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

campingnut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have seen sub frames put between the axles and the frame, same idea as blocks but I would think with a little more structure.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

How much was it? Hitch depot told me ball park $1000 to cut my leafs off and weld in 6" rectangale box...I should have done that rather than take my 6" lift out of my truck

catman1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't that make it kinda tippy being a bumper pull? I can understand why you want it ... Bent one on my stabilizing jacks at medicine lake last weekend.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the torsion bar system bolt to the frame of the trailer?

I would thing a square tubing welded to the frame. The size required for your lift.

Then bolt on your torsion bar system to it.

Have it done at a trailer shop and an alignment done to ensure no tire problems

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't that make it kinda tippy being a bumper pull? I can understand why you want it ... Bent one on my stabilizing jacks at medicine lake last weekend.

Our trailer is a fifth wheel and it tows very well even over rough terrain. The previous owner removed the rear jacks and reinforced the underside tail end of the trailer. They used some heavy wall pipe cut in half to provide some skid protection and a place to put some jack stands when parked. It is completely welded in place and tied in so it looks like a factory offering. They did a very nice job.

Does the torsion bar system bolt to the frame of the trailer?

I would thing a square tubing welded to the frame. The size required for your lift.

Then bolt on your torsion bar system to it.

Have it done at a trailer shop and an alignment done to ensure no tire problems

The trailer has had a three inch block already welded in between the suspension and the trailer frame. It may have been bolted in from the factory but I am not sure how it came exactly. The blocks are welded in such a way that it looks completely stock. Not sure how the trailer would handle with a 6 inch lift...might be a bit too much and ruin the way it handles. This is why I would love to be able to lift it up just for getting into and out of some rough areas.

I am going to see if I can reclock the torsion arms to possibly gain an inch or two. I am not sure if it is possible but this might help and be fairly simple. Hopefully if I am able to reclock the arms it won't affect the ride as it performs very well the way it is. I will post my findings if I figure it out.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My trailer has torsion axles too. Rides excellent but is a pain to lift. I need a bit more clearance and all I have found out is that you can get new axles with a different clocking or put a spacer between axles and frame. The spacer depends on if the axles are top mount or side mount. I am looking to gain about 3" on mine.

snoboy

Reaction score
Not a toy hauler, but Western RV might have some ideas for you

camping4x4.jpg

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a toy hauler, but Western RV might have some ideas for you

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t3/70-442/misc%20stuff/camping4x4.jpg

Funny that they left the rear leveling jacks on it! Nice for show and advertising, but that trailer is not very functional anymore.

When I watched the video on Dexter Torflex axles that was posted earlier it indicated that the torsion arm could be clocked in one of 7 postions. Does that mean you can just unbolt the arm to reclock it? I have not taken a wheel off of our trailer siince we have owned it to find out what is actually in there.

catman1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry thought it was a bumper pull. Must be nice having that extra protection on the back

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I dont know if they make them but a sway bar sounds like a good idea for the camper if you do end up lifting it up some. Depending on how wide the wheel base is, maybe mount the torsion bar set up further out to increase your track width to make it more stable.

Top Bottom