super duty owners beware!!!

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just had a most unfortunate mechanical problem with my 2000 F-250 super duty. after washing my truck made the attemp to start it and the starter was grinding. went in for a closer look and saw the starter was loose, no biggie, but 2 outa 3 bolts were tight. so why is it loose? well turns out there is a spacer plate between the engine and tranny that the starter bolts to and in my case the starter mount portion of that plate had cracked and broke off thus explaining the starter grinding issue. turns out the cause of this is due to the top starter bolt loosening over time and graddually weakening the plate to the point of failure. now the only method to remmedy the problem is to remove the tranny and replace the plate at a cost of 275 bux. so if you wish to avoid my curent problem i would advise all late model super duty owners to CHECK THERE STARTER BOLTS or risk it and suffer my fate. FYI: blackbook quotes 6hrs to R&R the tranny so at the current shop rate that translates to alot of cash on top of parts. so take my advice and avoid this inconvienience with a simple check. :cool:

all-4-stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah well parts aint bad about $400 bux, but if u get a shop do do it thats where it costs ya. i was able to R&R the tranny and change the transmition input seal and the rear main engine seal in about 6 hours

Top Bottom