Sunday ride

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caw Ridge and the Sulphur Gates just out if grande cache. Fun ride.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 163

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bunch of us gonna do an overnighter to the lower Kakwa Falls in the next while, probably wait a bit yet. Went last year in early October , crossings were ok. Beautiful place in the fall.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few of us so want to do this run also sheep creek/lower Kakwa to. Really Great pics.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bunch of us gonna do an overnighter to the lower Kakwa Falls in the next while, probably wait a bit yet. Went last year in early October , crossings were ok. Beautiful place in the fall.
you go in from GP side or from Grande Cache? from the GC side you have to cross the Kakwa river like 7 or 9 times. I have an old pack horse map from an SRD guy, would love to get in there someday

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few of us so want to do this run also sheep creek/lower Kakwa to. Really Great pics.

I've never came towards lower falls from Grande cache side only from Porcupine or last time from the chicken road , lot of road riding tho from the gates to the kakwa, PITA. is it easier from the sheep creek or beaver dam roads.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry , was typing at the same time i guess, yeah from porcupine or chicken road you have at least half a dozen crossings, maybe more. Years ago, (when it was still cool) there was a trail from 4 X4 s that used to go in from Porcupine, i remember some of the crossings are still near same places. Crossings can be a pain for a group, all machines need to have the same water depth tolerance or you end up having to either split up or turn back. Gotta pick the right time for water level, and if it starts raining a lot while you're in there, GTFO.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This was last year, had a couple machines that were not quite capable in a couple of crossings, we only got to the mouth of the Lower Kakwa, were only on a day trip and had some issues. Way nicer to do a sleep over.

Attachments

• lowerfalls1.jpg
    lowerfalls1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 117
  • lowerfalls2.jpg
    lowerfalls2.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 115
  • lowerfalls4.jpg
    lowerfalls4.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 115

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never came towards lower falls from Grande cache side only from Porcupine or last time from the chicken road , lot of road riding tho from the gates to the kakwa, PITA. is it easier from the sheep creek or beaver dam roads.
no, it was grown in bad past the old airstrip at the end of the Copton where the old forestry camp was. we tried to get in there and never made it to the river. lots of deadfall, needs some serious saw work to get in that way. we tried to pick our way around some of it, but the bush is so thick in some places it was impossible to get thru without beating the sh!t out of the machines.

we used aerial maps from the same guy to get to the Kakwa years back, you could see the old trail in some places but we did a lot of bushwacking. took us 7 hrs to get there from the flats by the Beaverdam Rd. went back in 2012 and someone had been in there and sawed up all the big deadfall, took 4.5 hours that trip. we did it on Sunday in 2hrs and 45 mins. water is way low, you have to cross the Copton creek 4 or 5 times and it was the lowest I'd seen it. you could pretty much cross where you wanted. Kakwa is way low too.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no, it was grown in bad past the old airstrip at the end of the Copton where the old forestry camp was. we tried to get in there and never made it to the river. lots of deadfall, needs some serious saw work to get in that way. we tried to pick our way around some of it, but the bush is so thick in some places it was impossible to get thru without beating the sh!t out of the machines.

we used aerial maps from the same guy to get to the Kakwa years back, you could see the old trail in some places but we did a lot of bushwacking. took us 7 hrs to get there from the flats by the Beaverdam Rd. went back in 2012 and someone had been in there and sawed up all the big deadfall, took 4.5 hours that trip. we did it on Sunday in 2hrs and 45 mins. water is way low, you have to cross the Copton creek 4 or 5 times and it was the lowest I'd seen it. you could pretty much cross where you wanted. Kakwa is way low too.

so you got to the lower falls ?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just to the river where the Copton runs into it east of the lower falls. we've run into guys fishing there that came from the Porcupine Rd

Top Bottom