summitt vs freeride

mikeo2

Reaction score
I currently have a 174 that I like, however I do 60% mountain riding and 40% ditch banging on the flatlands. The 174 isn't really practical for the non-mountain riding that I do, especially since I need to add ski scratchers, idler wheel and possibly even hyperfax sliders to keep the sliders from wering out stupid quick. Im thinking about dropping back to a 154,maybe even a163 summit. Im also considering the 154 freeride because it is built a little beefier for some jumping and the style I ride on the flatlands. Im more into boondocking an not so much high marking when in the hills to. I even considered switching to crossover but I think id like more mountain capability than a cross over allows. Thoughts?

camsledhead

Reaction score
I think the Free Ride has always been a bad ass and now with it having the Ras 2 front suspention its gonna make it that much better. Plus its pretty tough to beat those KYB Pro 40 R shocks!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the freeride is an awesome machine. but it has a wider stance so be prepared to expect to throw some extra effort at it to boon dock and side hill compared to your T3.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah get a Freeride, they are sick! I miss mine:( LOL

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My sister has an 14 freeride, it reminds me a lot of the 07 xrs we have, in the handling department

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love my 14 freeride and have been tossing around the idea of a 156 3" on it but if someone with a t3 wants a freeride...
You have a pm mikeo2

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Comparing Summit SP 154 to a Freeride 154,.. is there a $3000 value difference? I can do a lot with $3000 so I bought a Summit

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Comparing Summit SP 154 to a Freeride 154,.. is there a $3000 value difference? I can do a lot with $3000 so I bought a Summit

The Shocks on the Freeride Retail for Close to 4000$ and It has a way stiffer chassis. In short the SP is junk in comparison...IMO

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it junk but its sure not designed to take the beating of a freeride. Ones designed to be an all around mountain sled, the other is designed to take huge drops and take on the 3 foot trail whoops with relative ease.

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im a 14 freerider. Wont look back, Ultimate machine. The summit is for redneck high marking idiots....

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I currently have a 174 that I like, however I do 60% mountain riding and 40% ditch banging on the flatlands. The 174 isn't really practical for the non-mountain riding that I do, especially since I need to add ski scratchers, idler wheel and possibly even hyperfax sliders to keep the sliders from wering out stupid quick. Im thinking about dropping back to a 154,maybe even a163 summit. Im also considering the 154 freeride because it is built a little beefier for some jumping and the style I ride on the flatlands. Im more into boondocking an not so much high marking when in the hills to. I even considered switching to crossover but I think id like more mountain capability than a cross over allows. Thoughts?
I was in your shoes too but put way more km on at home around Whitecourt than on mountain trips.... 4600 km on my '13 Summit in two seasons. Decided to keep the summit and bought a very slightly used 2012 freeride 137 x 2-1/4" for around home. The freeride is a hoot - hard to wipe the smile off my face when I'm riding it. Moral of my story... have two sleds if you can swing it!

Last edited:

mikeo2

Reaction score
I was in your shoes too but put way more km on at home around Whitecourt than on mountain trips.... 4600 km on my '13 Summit in two seasons. Decided to keep the summit and bought a very slightly used 2012 freeride 137 x 2-1/4" for around home. The freeride is a hoot - hard to wipe the smile off my face when I'm riding it. Moral of my story... have two sleds if you can swing it!

I could swing it butin reality with my job and being gone so much for work, I will only get to the mountains 3 or 4 times a year so I don't really want a sled just sitting around collecting dust.

Top Bottom