summit x 670

bones01

Reaction score
just strated sledding (few of my friends already d) bought a stock 1999 summit x 670 3000 miles. whats the first thing i should or could do to this sled? i ride in the coq and pemb icefields
thxs

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
just strated sledding (few of my friends already d) bought a stock 1999 summit x 670 3000 miles. Whats the first thing i should or could do to this sled? I ride in the coq and pemb icefields
thxs

put a 151x16x2" track on it, and move the skid back for a better attack angle and put rail extensions on it......... Bar none, the first thing i would doo.

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just strated sledding (few of my friends already d) bought a stock 1999 summit x 670 3000 miles. whats the first thing i should or could do to this sled? i ride in the coq and pemb icefields
thxs

PUT a riser and atleast a 144, their are many threads if you search around, summitx, summitric,saintnick3 would all be good people to talk to about moddin the 670

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup.... These guys both need to see your previous thread, eh? How did your sled work in the mountains??? No pics??

What you didn't see pic's and Video, Pic's on top video further down thread https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f4/pics-frisby-nov19-9370.html
as for the sled the track worked great, big improvment, the engine ran ok on monday, took it easy but on wed with temp around +5 uptop I was getting a sputter at wide open on a pull, a little rich I think and with the extra oil mixed in.

Canuck 1

Reaction score
If you just started sledding you probably don't want to dump a pile of money into it the first season. I'd get rid of the stock muffler ( if it isnt gone already ) and install an after market one on it ( lots of brands which I won't get into). Install a good set of skis. Fine tune your clutch. Welcome to the sport and Happy Sledding.

bones01

Reaction score
hey thank guys, just bought another sled though. which one should i sell LOL?
2001 rmk 700/151 piped, torn seat $3200
1999 summit 670x/141 stock $2200

Duct tape Doo

Reaction score
Be carefull that when you buy used twin pipes that you get pipes designed for a flat top piston that the "X" runs, The key thing about a 670 is they like lots of air but be carefull to fatten up yor mid range and dont drive in the midsrange too long, Wick your throttle when the air is dense. It doesn't take long to reach 1300 deg F in the mids. Gutting the airbox works well on 670 Summits if you are riding in the mountains only unlike the newer Doos that are prone to meltdowns. A thicker base gasket and shaving the head to 55 thousand squish if you run good fuel combined with short carb boots from a Mach 1 of the same era will give horse power and instant throttle response.
Move your fuel shut off to the outside of the hood because 670's don't like to be parked down hill for long and shutting off the fuel prior to pulling the rope 25 times is the quickest way to resume your day on the mountain. Replacing the rotary intake plate with a 501 plate with a larger intake port is a common mod to the non "X" model but the "X" may already have a larger port in the plate.By doing mild changes to a 670 you will have years of trouble free riding providing the PTO side crank bearing hangs in there. The comment about adding a 151 was an excellent suggestion. If you can find a used 144" x 2' track and purchase extoverts and drop and roll plates you will be able to move the skid back without adding a tunnel extension or the extra cooling radiator and your track attack angle will impove. I have a 156" on mine but spent too much on the other mods required with a 156".As far as the thumb fatigue keep riding you will get used to it, Don't mess with the throttle spring.

Top Bottom