Summit X 163 XM mods

yammyman

Reaction score
I'm currently and very patiently waiting for my XM 163 " and I am seriously contemplating dropping around $30 G into this sled when all is said and done. It's not my first sled but it is my first brand new sled.

I am Just curious as to what others experiences have been with these products and with Terra Alps racing products, service and warranty.

I talked with Ted today, for about an hour, and let's just say I was quite impressed with what I heard and have seen on the Terra Alps Racing website and you tube.

I live in Edmonton and it's hard to trust someone who only sleds on weekends and spends only a few hours on the hill when they are in the mountains.

I'm 6'5" tall 230 lbs I have been riding (intermediate rider) in the mountains for about 7 seasons. I'm in good shape physically, athletically and mentally. I am also mechanically inclined. Having said that I've yet to jump up with the big dogs when it comes to serious mountain mods.

I am always wanting more HP whatever I'm operating. I love doing drops, jumps, boondocking and the occasional highmark.

I'm looking for some feedback on the on Terra Alps racing and other mods on an etec (the good the bad and the ugly):

860r big bore? arm wrenching HP gains?

high flow y-pipe?

SLP pipe?

modified MBRP can?

thermostat and housing?

dealer warranty with aftermarket big bore kits?

Terra Alps warranty? reliability?

Raptor shocks?

C3 synchro drive? reliability?

TSS aluminum A arms?

RPM composites mountain cut skid plate?

Powder pro skis? which carbides (6" x 60 deg or 4" by 75 deg) ? competition saddle brackets or standard?

Isovibe steering dampner?

509 anti-fog fan module?

LONG LIVE SKI DOO and long live Dodge! :ramsfan_small:

yammyman

Reaction score
You're right but I've been filling it up and going for the last 7 seasons. Now that I've got the opportunity to really make it unique I plan to do so whether it needs it or not.

It's like this:

I were to offer you the chance to drive a Corvette or a souped up Camaro what would you pick? I'm sure it would be the corvette. If you didn't you'd be wondering, for the rest of your life, what it would have been like to drive that Corvette. But it would be to late!

That's NOT going to be me!

Thanks for your input though!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol ya it works good. But to the origional poster I suggest you ride the sled and figure out its shortcommings for your riding style before throwing a bunch of parts at it. Nothing worse than throwing 10g at a sled to find out its not working better than stock and you can't tell because you never rode it stock. Just my opinion but its your sled do what you wish haha.

I will tell you this. The hps can is the best for the etec. And there's no chance in hell you will get factory warranty with aftermarket big bore kits.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

yammyman

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong! I plan on breaking it in, testing it in different conditions & locations & comparing it to other machines. Only will i decide what changes I feel are necessary!

I really want to know people's personal experiences specifically to what I mentioned in my original thread! Thanks for your input about the fan!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ill be honest......I havent heard the best things about Terra Alps. Dont mean to slag someone on a public forum, but you asked for feedback. Some guys seem to like him, but Ive heard more negative than positive from the people Ive talked to. Im not personally sold on bigbores altogether. Sounds like some work decent, but not the ones I have been around. I think on that sled you would be way farther ahead with a TSS turbo kit. They seem to be working really good, and you know you are going to see good gains. Going to be pretty reliable too if you keep it close to what the supposed big bore power would be.

Turbo kit and raptor shocks would be the only thing I would do if I were building my dream XM.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I won't comment on TerraAlps, read what you will, but the internet has many people who have many positive and negative experiences with any company.

The biggest problem with the etec is that no one has been able to crack the ecm. Atleast no one in the aftermarket world. Overbores are going to require additional fuel. The only way as far as I know to get that fuel is with a seondary system to add fuel. Most likely a piggyback injector system. Nothing wrong with that based on other systems that use the same sort of setup.

Turbo kits have been hit and miss on the etec as well, but the etec responds well with the turbo based on the reports that are out there. They benefit from the restrictive ecm.

Really, what do you want the sled to do that you don't feel it will do in its stock form. If only the occasional highmark, then don't worry about setting the sled up for over the top climbing. Stay away from a skid that is going to keep the nose planted if you like dropping cornices and boondocking.

If you like to ride deep and stay away from hard packed trails, how about a 163x3". You can run it with a driver change, or go with an extended chaincase if you want to throw cash at it. Don't get into any intake mods, again, you can't control the fuel. Start adding air and not fuel and you will be chasing gremlins. A MAF might be beneficial on these sleds.

BRP really dropped the gearing on the newer sleds. Stock clutching has been okay. Not great. But clutching is a rider preference. Lots of people look for a "kit" that solves all their problems. Some people prefer hard engagement, some like it to come on smooth.

Aluminum a-arms? Maybe titanium.

I have had great luck with the full SLP set up. Others just opt for a simple can. I always found HPS cans tight. People who ride a lot have found them to be great.

Maybe take some of that $30 grand and invest it into a trip or two. Go down and ride with Burandt and enjoy a film crew following you around.

I ride with guys who are heavier than you and the same size. They do very well on the stock motor.

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From reading Snowest, the guys with Pros were really liking aftermarket shocks/springs.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found TA good to deal with, just a little tarty. Had my motor 4 months at least. Sent it to him in June so it was ok. Sled ran good, but would i do it again, probably not.

yammyman

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone for the feedback. Definitely helping me make decisions!

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll make the same statement i have made many times before. Best bang for your buck period is in the clutching on these sleds. Pipes, reeds, all mods aside, bring me a stocker and for less than $1500.00 provided the engine is solid it will be a totally different machine. If your not happy with what i have provided you with, bring it back i will pull my setup out, refund your money and send you on your way NO B.S

Deano

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What am getting for + or - $1500?

he just said it,,, some clutching it has huge benefits.... a pipe/can and reeds thats $1500 and you get some nice crisp throttle response and a clutch that comes on nice and holds a constant rpm,,and the new pipe flows just a bit better I believe,,

it is the best start for sure without serious changes

Deano did my 07 Rev just like he mentioned above and it was a great upgrade for the $$

I will say my 12 freeride clutching seemed spot on from factory (sure it gets better I guess) but the thing always held rpm and reved up nice but it do do that over rev thingy a few times as well (pretty sure there is a flash for this).. but original belt with 950 kms and didnt seem to get too hot so I hope the 13's will be the same

Top Bottom