Summit Skidplate

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
Hey just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the brp full skid plate vs the extreme one on the summits. Trying to decide which to go with this year. The extra protection with the full would be nice but it seems like it would catch a lot of snow.

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the brp full skid plate vs the extreme one on the summits. Trying to decide which to go with this year. The extra protection with the full would be nice but it seems like it would catch a lot of snow.

It will catch more snow but didn't have a problem with ice build up at all if that's what you were wondering. But it DID save a hit to the Lower A arm at the of end of November. My last one had an extreme and the new one got the full one

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the full one on my xp, it packs full of snow to the point the steering jams up.... Depending on the snow u are in

I got the extreme narrow one, have never had to use a tree to clean out to ride

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last 2 sleds have both had the full skid plate & I've never had a problem with ice building up enough to restrict steering. Definitely provide better protection for the A-arms.
Usually roll my sled on it's side and kick the crap out of the skid plate a bit to knock out snow and ice at the end of the day so it doesn't freeze.

If the full skid plate started being a problem with snow build-up, I'd just trim it down behind the front of the A-Arm.

SparkBuilder

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I think I'm going to go with the black full body skid plate. Was gonna go with the red extreme but the full seems to make a lot more sense to protect the sled and I think the big full red one might be too much on a black machine. Too many options for these things haha

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Matt99, I have a couple gouges in my RPM skid plate from crossing creeks that had rocks sticking out or hiding just under the snow. I don't have any damage to my bulk head, but my buddy with his skidoo skid plate has some small dents in the bottom of his bulk head just in front of the front cooler. The Doo one will offer some protection but not the best protection. Just my two cents and experience from last seasons riding.

MarkBrideau

Reaction score
I ordered the xtreme only because it looks like you may be able to unbolt the A-arms without taking the skid plate off.. Wishful thinking

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took the full one off and it was pulling out rivets and too much snow buildup and would affect steering .

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the extreme protects everything except the a arms then correct?

I was going to go full size as I have in the past. I never had problems with steering, and the extra weight was nothing compared to what is in the track but I wonder if the full skid kind of hurts you when side hilling?

freeride73

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My view is if your going to be riding strictly mountains with deep snow you will want to go with the extreme. If you ride mostly on the prairies and go to the mountains occasionally the go with the full size for better protection.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My view is if your going to be riding strictly mountains with deep snow you will want to go with the extreme. If you ride mostly on the prairies and go to the mountains occasionally the go with the full size for better protection.

My view is if you are riding early season mountains or spring riding when the snow is sinking go with the full size. Lots of rocks and stumps and/or half mast trees that reek havoc on the under carriage. One can deal quite easily with the snow build up. It is quite another story to deal with the a-arms, etc.. But that is just the thoughts of an ol' fart who rides the mountains 50-75 days a year.

Top Bottom