summit plugs WHITE LIKE SNOW YIKES

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OKay guys not sure if your getting. what im telling you all.

Yes 480 mains are what is recomended in this sled. I have run 480's and yes sled runs fine have had it at -5 to -18 celcius. But to me it seems a bit lean. I have jetted up to 520's and I have very good wash. I am going to be jetting down from 520's to say 500's maybe even 490's
. I am also not sure if you reallize that most of the riding around Regina is flat fields and the temp here is usually around -15 to -25 celcius that i ride in .
If you look at BRP's Service Data for a 2010 summit you will find that the sleds BASE JET is 480 AT 6000FEET. It will compensate (DPM) from sea level to 10000ft but to -20celcius(actually to -18in the service manuals) AnY of you guys that are commenting on this thread. TELL ME WHAT YOU RIDE AT. I will bet my left NUT:cool: that you are riding HIGHER than 6000ft. and in warmer temps than 15celcius for the most part. so yes your jetting should be bang on or slightly rich as a result this is why you guys are telling me that i should be jetting down.

My temp that i ride in is ALOT colder than yours to begin with so this is why i am jetting up. It is basically probably in the end only going to be one size, but this does make a difference... Is it going to run richer when i go to the mountians YES am i going to worry about 1 jet size probably not..

With the DPM system if i take the atmospheric hoses off the carbs sled should go rich. Should it go richer than my current DPM yes because DPM is compensating for the temp and also the perfect burn.

I am really enjoying this thread hope we can keep it clean and on track

I thank you all for your comments..

with BRP'S detenation system what happens when it is activated. I asked this a couple pages back and Nobody answered it. lights beeper, does it go into a limp home mode do you loose 500rpm and a light come on????

because if it does something like this then why should i be worried. It never gave me any sign with 480s in it. Just the plugs and wash to me are a little to close to the edge.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
limp mode if i recall last time mine went in it basically wouldnt move. and poped and farted.

and yes your right about the elevation combined with temperature. 490-500 may be right for you.

i have ridden mine at 3000ft with 480 and everything was good. but temp was not that cold.

other than that i ride 4000-9000

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
Are you certain the dpm adjusts's to sea level? I have an 08 XP and my manual say's it'll only adjust as far down as 2000ft.

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
Yeah, I've ridden at 900ft in -30c before with no problems, the sled rips at that elevation. I've always had the 480's in it from new and my plugs have always been black and oily. Maybe you have an airleak somewhere??:confused:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I've ridden at 900ft in -30c before with no problems, the sled rips at that elevation. I've always had the 480's in it from new and my plugs have always been black and oily. Maybe you have an airleak somewhere??:confused:

he pressure tested, no air leak. It's all good, he's got it figured out.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like said above this engine has been pressure and vac tested after reassembly. all is good. I still have the 520 which are equal to 495's (thanks Bart) and i have wash and a nice brown plug (maybe a little rich but real close) also plug insulator has browning up the insulator about 2/3 of the way. Bottom 2 threads of sparkplug have a nice black rim. She should be good. What will really be the test is when i take it to Yellowstone on the 26th of Dec. If the DPM is not working properly then as i go to 7000feet she should get really f:rant: rich. Did the tests in the BRP manual as far as voltage and the water/vac test and DPM checks out.

MAYBE JUST MAYBE this Bad boy motor is just producing so much more :smiliestirthepot::rollinglaugh:power than the rest of yours that it just needs that much more fuel. LMFAO:d

cheers guys i will keep you informed once i get a chance to try her in the hills. But as of right now i am sleeping better with 520/495's in her.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No a std 520.

took it out yesterday for a run. with them still in and she looks good.

It was -20celcius here yesterday.

installed new DJ helix before i went out and this helix has amazing engine braking. going to like this in Yellowstone on the 26th. Going to be installing the rest of the kit today. pins and primary spring. Then she is going to sit until i get back from mexico. and then to the BAR in Yellowstone.

will let you guys know how it went when i get back.

As a heads up has anybody actually read the info in the owners manual about the summit;)
Summit (north america) EXCEPT Everest800r with 146 and 154 in track factory Calibration2000-8000 ft

Summit (North America) Everest 800r with 146 and 154 in track
factory Calibration Sea level to 2000ft.

I find this interesting as if you go to the service manual they it says they are calibrated all the same.:confused:

boy i wish companys would pay attention to the S#it they print.

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay guys back from YellowStone. Have some pics of plugs to show you all.
I did some pulls hard on the trail for about 2 miles and checked plugs but never got any pics of those. on these pulls plugs were alot lighter.

These pics are from riding all day in totop elevation is about 7700ft to 8000ft we had 2-4ft of powder everywhere. in the trees was titty high :dand im 6' 3" these plugs look good nice brown. This was with 520's she never felt rich at all (only abit on the bottom as dpm does not compensate below 3500rpm) was never there any ways as most of the time was spent at 3/4 to WOT

as a side note in pic0771 and 0772 the lighter plug (on left) was from the mag side. This side does appear to be leaner than the pto as the color is lighter. but if you look at the ground electrode halfway up it is black. strange:cool:. I will be taking my bore scope today and looking to see what my wash now looks like. i will say it should be fine as to what the plugs look like.

so i guess my DPM must be working as it never missed a beat. from 1849ft to as high as8300ft cant see how some of you guys are jetting down to 460's

would love to see some pics of other guys plugs to compare.

cheers.
note:: specks are not aluminium it seems to be some sort of oil/calcium build up any help on this diagnosis??

Attachments

• SAM_0767.jpg
    SAM_0767.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 95
  • SAM_0768.jpg
    SAM_0768.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 91
  • SAM_0772.jpg
    SAM_0772.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 97
  • SAM_0769.jpg
    SAM_0769.jpg