Summit 800 vs M10

boondocker14

Reaction score
Hey. I am currently in the process of shopping for a sled and I am undecided between a Summit 800 in a 151 or a M1000 in the 153. I like hill climbing but prefer boondocking and was wondering if anyone had any info on these two sleds and how they compare. For a ski-doo i was looking at an 05 or 06 model.....maybe a new one.

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi:

I can't comment on the Cat; but the Rev 800, 151" will climb as high as you'll care to scare yourself..... and it will boondock like a raped ape....! (1-2005 Rev 800, 151& 1-2008 Rev 800 XP, 146). Some pictures from our current trip are under the Northern BC site.

We were side hilling, climbing up through the trees, over ridges, carving... playing in bowls and meadows..... :D :D :D

The machines performed greatly.... powerful, responsive, nimble..... :D :D :D :D

Hey. I am currently in the process of shopping for a sled and I am undecided between a Summit 800 in a 151 or a M1000 in the 153. I like hill climbing but prefer boondocking and was wondering if anyone had any info on these two sleds and how they compare. For a ski-doo i was looking at an 05 or 06 model.....maybe a new one.

boondocker14

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the Summit. I was leaning towards that sled but my buddy has the m1000 and has rode both and says that the only difference really is power and that the weight is not that noticeable. Personally my biggest dilema is weight. I am a 160lb rider in the 6'4 range so tall and skinny doesnt mix great with heavy sleds.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some people say that the rev is harder to boondock with but i have no problem with it. The cats are nice but like the rev better.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some people say that the rev is harder to boondock with but i have no problem with it. The cats are nice but like the rev better.
They are saying that about the XP`s too, but thats full of crap. My XP is very easy to ride and boondock. I rode an M10 163 this year and it was great for power but the thing I found was it wasn`t as comfortable as the XP. Both climbed and boondocked about the same.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are saying that about the XP`s too, but thats full of crap. My XP is very easy to ride and boondock. I rode an M10 163 this year and it was great for power but the thing I found was it wasn`t as comfortable as the XP. Both climbed and boondocked about the same.

It all depends what your used to... I feel the m-chassis is a way better at boondocking/sidehilling. The XP/Rev require some getting used to, as there are much different from other sleds...

What sled are you riding right now?

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

When undecided between two different manufactures go to the all important issue of Dealer back-up. I see your in the CNP so Ghost Rider has a good reputation and you have the Cat king in HILLCREST. Who is the SkiDoo dealer there? The Cat guy in Blairmore is gone.Parts ,service,no bullchit fair pricing and a smile count for alot.
We own a 07/M1000 162-----07/M1000T 162-------08/M8 153.Sorry no recent experience with 05 or 06 models from skidoo. I rented a xp Stateside for 5 days,so my experience is pretty limited. I will say the xp handled great the wieght reduction is noticeable. I think the M8 is a little easier to lay over. The only real complaint I have, when you took it up the steep the ride down was the squirlliest[sp] drunken clown ride down. Some of these comments could be unfair as I only had 5 days and it takes more than 5 days to teach a old dog new tricks.
The M1000 is front heavy, it was never designed to boondock with anyones 800 series. Yet it does it reasonably well and in 2 feet of powder does a kick azz job.Ever seen video of Chris Burandt on a M1000. The M1000 is a climber a little Titanium in the clutching and some wieght and out of the box she's good to go.The reason we have run Cats the last 2 years is due to the Suzuki power plant. A chit load of power was left on the table with this motor and you can BOLT on some good gains without internals.
Good luck with your choice, remember they all break down, so have somewhere professional to go to when it happens

boondocker14

Reaction score
Hey thanks for all the advice. I curently ride a Polaris 700 RMK with a 141 on it. I have heard the rev is a bit hard to handle when going down hills. I have also heard the cats have a good power plant while the ski-doo is running more to its peak. I fully agree with the comment on going to the nearest dealers. Also the C.N.P is full of Cat guys so thats also a pro for the M10. Clutching seems to be a common trend from cat that needs improvement. Keep the information coming. I greatly appreciate it.

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It all depends what your used to... I feel the m-chassis is a way better at boondocking/sidehilling. The XP/Rev require some getting used to, as there are much different from other sleds...

What sled are you riding right now?
And alot of people are saying the same thing. Its too bad you can`t borrow the sled for a weekend and ride it because it sucks to spend 10-15 thousand on a sled and sell it next year because it wasn`t the one for you.

boondocker14

Reaction score
Hey I found a good priced 2007 M10 and a 08 for a bit more. Is there anything wrong with either of these two years that I should look out for.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha Ha Ha!!!

Attachments

• Arctic cat.jpg
    Arctic cat.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 82

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I found a good priced 2007 M10 and a 08 for a bit more. Is there anything wrong with either of these two years that I should look out for.

I'll sell you a 08 M8 for a decent $. 1000miles and no problem's.(building a shop this year and want to pour the pad as well)Then we'll see if the bank let's me into a 09 in the fall.....:nono:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ther are not alot of differen ce's between the two years.. The nice thing with the cats is it is easy to drop a few pounds.. And one of the first things that you would want to do in my opinion is upgrade parts in your sec. clutch.. What kind of things have been donr to the two sleds?? A boss seat also takes another 10lbs off of an '07 or '08 M series..

boondocker14

Reaction score
An M8 eh....well Linerman from the pass and tyler both mentioned that to be a better sled then the M10 for weight ratios. The M10 i am lookin at has a Jaws can, clutch work done by linderman, handle bar risers, and a screen kit put into the hood. As for the M8 how much would you be looking to sell it for chadwik?

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PM and we'll talk....I bought it new at Christmas and had nothing but a blast on it every time I rode. It's bone stock and hasn't let me down once.Paid 11,400 with tax new, so.....:confused:

SledinII030.jpg

boondocker14

Reaction score
Well i am guessing PM means phone ya so whats your number lol. I have heard alot of good stuff about the M8's and thats from my buds who find anything under 200 Hp a bad sled lol ( though i know the M8 is no where close)

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha...it mean's Private message, but I'm not too sure this forum has it.(haven't checked yet)

Top Bottom