Summit 800.. No Spark ... Ideas?

samtoby

Reaction score
Hi All.

I have a 2001 Summit 800 that has been working great up until this past weekend. On the weekend, the recoil bolts worked loose which wasnt a big deal so we tightened them back up. On the next ride, the machine stalled and will not start again. There is no spark out of either plug. So to start the troubleshooting process, i picked up a shop manual for this sled and followed the troubleshooting the electrical. As a starting point, i pulled the recoil off again to make sure that there were no pieces that had gotten back in behind the flywheel and messed stuff up. It all looks OK, but i have not at this point pulled the flywheel off. So back to the testing. I started with testing of the Kill Switch and the DESS switch, which both seem to be withing the proper specs according to the manual. Next was the stator. Again, the output (red and black/red wires) was in spec. 15.4 ohms and 24 volts when pulling it over manually. Next, on to the trigger coil. The resistance was in spec at 230 ohms, but i had a hard time getting reading from my multimeter for voltage. On a couple of pulls i got .2 volts which is what the spec says is the min. Next is says to check the MPEM. The output voltage is supposed to be between 25 and 100 volts feeding the coil. I can in no way get any voltage to appear on these two wires (White/black and Black). Would one then infer that the MPEM module is screwed? Do they go bad? Does that make sense to anyone out there. Any opinions or ideas would be welcomed.'

Thanks
Leon

Top Bottom