Summit 1000 vs Arctic Cat 1000 or 900

summit1000

Reaction score
So, would a fair conclusion be that the Summit 1000 will destroy an Arctic Cat 900 in every way, and the Summit 1000 will get the highmark and win the drag race, but in technical riding the M1000 is a better sled? Btw, modman that is a very nice M1000!

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry gents, I respect you and all, and maybe on a straight up pull a stock RT might compete well, but I thought we were talking bone stock here and not a mod RT to a stock Cat. :) No RT I have ever ridden, handles in the trees like an M sled without a lot of massaging. I have ridden both. One quite a bit actually....

So If we start hacking parts, adding power, and talking apples to apples.........just sayin'........LOL

I agree completely the M sleds are naturals off trails and IMO one of the best mountians sleds around even compared to todays new stuff.
I actualy meant handling on trails and not so much off trail.

Setup was key with the RT and most i have seen out in the mountians were not setup properly and ridden by regular joe that had a basic understanding of tunning but not what it was needed to setup the RT. Even dealers had a very hard time setting them up but the few that did figure it out these machines could dominate.
In all honnesty i have seen more RTs get pounded, even by 800 then RTs dominating. But like i originaly said the RT was not for anyone and good tunning skills with advance riding skills were keys with the RTs capabilities.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, would a fair conclusion be that the Summit 1000 will destroy an Arctic Cat 900 in every way, and the Summit 1000 will get the highmark and win the drag race, but in technical riding the M1000 is a better sled? Btw, modman that is a very nice M1000!

Somewhat fair but not necessarly, the 900 Cat is a solid power maker and is capable of easily taking an RT. An RT with a 151 track is highly under tracked for it torque output and fairs alot better with a bigger track. A 2.5 or 3" will turn a stock RT into a monster on climbs and hookup.
But true with the M1000 technical abilities.

mctrailboss

Reaction score
I had an 07 rt 1000. It pulled hard when it ran. one broken piston skirt, one ecu failure, melted down piston due to injector failure, fuel pump failure, stabbed the track with rails( not the manufacturers fault but still pulled out of the buish that day). I'm sure I missed somethings. that was all in one season. that sled was the biggest pain in the ass. If it was such an amazing sled / engine why would skidoo stop making them. You guys that love the RT 1000, where were you when I was selling mine. I still ride skidoo, but they almost lost a loyal customer over that piece of junk.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i had an 07 rt 1000. It pulled hard when it ran. One broken piston skirt, one ecu failure, melted down piston due to injector failure, fuel pump failure, stabbed the track with rails( not the manufacturers fault but still pulled out of the buish that day). I'm sure i missed somethings. That was all in one season. That sled was the biggest pain in the ass. If it was such an amazing sled / engine why would skidoo stop making them. You guys that love the rt 1000, where were you when i was selling mine. I still ride skidoo, but they almost lost a loyal customer over that piece of junk.
have had mine from new, and blew the engine within first year(crankshaft broke), and that was the only warranty or mechanical failure i ever had...... Guess there's a bad lemon in every pile

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of em up here in o6 and 7. Biggest underachiever ever, about on par with the Poo 900. We had lots of guys around here with em and they were all about equal, crappy but equal. The really skilled tuner, with enough after market cash, could make them almost as good as an 800 that ran well, but man what a bear to wrestle around. Dependability sucked also. I ducked that one thankfully, but lots of riding buddies didnt.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had 2005 and never ran right from time I picked up.
All stock and motor blue at 550 Kms .
Dropped of at dealer and didn't pick back up .
BRP and dealer treated me very well on new 2006 snow check.
Ran it for a couple years and ran okay with some work.
Ditched the stock air box right away due to belt dust being ingested into engine.
Sold it with 2800 Kms on same motor.
Every manufacture has a bad run and these were bad.
IMO

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sooooo ... if the rt1000 is such a lemon, why is mine still running with over 7500 miles on the motor ???

how many sleds can do that ???

if its too heavy for you, you should try getting fit and lay off the cheese bugers and fries eh ...

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used mine as a comercial guide sled for 3 or 4 years, it never let me down and it performed flawlessly, it was also my stanby sled for SARs. I had more 800 failures with my guide sleds then the RT.
Like i said in my last post, "if you were a regular joe, the RT wasn't for you".

Most guys who thought they could handle or have an RT went back to the 8s, mostly because they them selfs were not to par in riding skills and mechanical knowledge. The RT was unique in many way's and the regular joes just were not ready for that.
Today sleds are all basically the same, ZERO skills needed to be a hero a child can ride them and realy what is the challenge in that.

chemmod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used mine as a comercial guide sled for 3 or 4 years, it never let me down and it performed flawlessly, it was also my stanby sled for SARs. I had more 800 failures with my guide sleds then the RT.
Like i said in my last post, "if you were a regular joe, the RT wasn't for you".

Most guys who thought they could handle or have an RT went back to the 8s, mostly because they them selfs were not to par in riding skills and mechanical knowledge. The RT was unique in many way's and the regular joes just were not ready for that.
Today sleds are all basically the same, ZERO skills needed to be a hero a child can ride them and realy what is the challenge in that.

Oh yeah and the RT was the same thing for guys that grew up on motoskis. Quit living in the past and embrace what is today!!

Ride for today tomorrow is a new day

summit1000

Reaction score
this is a really weird thread especially with your sled on kijiji right now????

When I posted this I had no intentions of selling mine. A series of events occured and I had to sell the 1000. It was sold today. I had a trailer that I co-owned with a friend (really old crappy two place trailer) and while I was out of the country last week, my sled was in his backyard and his sled was on the trailer. His sled and the trailer were stolen. The insurance payout will be very minimal on it. I can't afford to buy even half of a trailer right now, so I sold the 1000 and will be buying something older, smaller, and cheaper, and putting the money that is left over towards a trailer.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, we've so far established the RT was a tank, and Shadam and Lund are " irregular" . LOL.

Reaction score
Go for the m1000 put a full slp kit and a pcv on it. its a torque monster a good reliable 190hp you wont be disappointed. thats what i ride im only 145 pounds and i love it. The balance on step is awesome and they are not so planted like the rt

Last edited:

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you've met me, "irregular" fits nicely thanks ...

I'm not saying the rt is better than the M1000 coz I've never riden one, but I cant seem to kill either of my rt's.

besides, I like a good tough challange ...

2dawgsfawkin

Reaction score
"Can't manage to kill either of my rt's"

So we're all dying to hear, let us know how you managed to kill one of those 1000's? In case I want to kill my m,,,,,

Last edited:

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
havent got it back yet. I'll let ye'all know ...

motor tech did the top end in it, then it sat for a while in thier shop awaiting sale. we're thinking its a top end issue, possibly rings? theres no play when wiggling the clutch and it turns over to a point. no visible damage externally. but hopefully tomorow she'll be thawing out in the garage.

the old girl, big red, is running great but the rave valves are sticking open sometimes. I need to tweek the clutching and fix this rave issue and shes fine.

Top Bottom