Summer bike trip.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a new cruiser this spring. Girlfriend and I are heading down south, down the Pacific Coast Highway, through to LA, over to vegas, then north through salt Lake city, and finally home.
We've been planning for a year now, every one of my friends all bailed already.
Has anyone done a similar trip? What should I expect? What do I NEED?

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pack light bring a credit card and make sure you have some type of roadside assistance other than that just ride safe and take lots of pics

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a new cruiser this spring. Girlfriend and I are heading down south, down the Pacific Coast Highway, through to LA, over to vegas, then north through salt Lake city, and finally home.
We've been planning for a year now, every one of my friends all bailed already.
Has anyone done a similar trip? What should I expect? What do I NEED?

If it don't fit in your pocket , you don't need it !! Lol
Pack light , every trip I've done. We packed way to much and didn't need it all.
Have fun should be a good ride.
Hopefully you get some "training " rides in first. Otherwise your gonna be sore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PowderStew

Reaction score
At Leggett (south of Eureka) take Hiway 1 west out to the coast and ride all the way south to Bodaga Bay. At Bodaga you can head east to Petaluma or stay on hiway 1 and keep going south. It comes out back onto the 101 just north of the golden gate bridge. The Hiway 1 ride is one of my all time favorite rides. It's slow twisty with great sceanerioy.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get some cleaner like what honda makes. It leaves a layer of silicon so every time you use it to clean bugs off they get easier to remove. Chances are if you have a windshield you are going to need it. Are you wearing full face helmets? If not make sure you have a face mask for rainy days.

Timber_Tramp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did that trip a while back.
the Oregon coast was scenic but it was a cool ride with the constant fog/ low cloud.
riding through the redwoods was in awesome !...I want to do that part again.
If you have time I recommend riding through the gold country ne of Sacramento towards Lake Tahoe .

PowderStew

Reaction score
Also, if you are going all the way to LA on 101. Be sure to take in San Simeon, (Hurst Castle) very cool place. As Timber-Tramp says, Oregon coast can be cool with the onshore breeze. First time I did that ride I did not take my electric vest, figured how could I need it, I am going to California, wrong, it was down right cold, and the desert gets cold at night. Now it is always in my bag.

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I've done a few trips in the past, not nearly as long though on my springer. Definitely going to take the time to look into all the suggested locations.
My biggest concerns are, un expected weather, and the 8 Lane freeways of the major cities.

PowderStew

Reaction score
I have ridden and driven all over SanFran, LA, Vegas, SanDiago, and most all the large cities on the west coast. You have to keep your eyes open all the time. Having said that, I found in general drivers in the big US cities are pretty good. The big multi lane freeways are not bad, you just have to know where you are going so you get in the right lane in advance.
Enjoy your ride.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take rain gear I've done the west coast trip and chances are you will get rain somewhere in wash oreg. It's a beautiful ride we did it one way in 6 days if I do it again I will plan a couple weeks.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Basic tool kit, nothing worse than having a minor problem and not being able to fix it. Include Electrical tape and Duct Tape.
Little things like an electric vest goes a long way if you hit cool weather and reduces the amount of cold weather gear you need.
Warm, medium and light weather gloves and a pair that are waterproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode to Vegas last June, was hot like 45°C so be prepared for that, couple hours north it's not bad. Keep in mind most people put there bikes away for the summer months, it's just to hot and uncomfortable!

Top Bottom