sugar bowl??

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone has been out to the sugar bowl lately? I wouldn't mind getting out there at the end of the month or early march if anyone may be interested in a tour.

thanks
kelly

blair155

Reaction score
what sugar bowl are you talking about exactly? i know there are a few

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
sorry the one where you can park at the dump site by the david thompson resort west of Nordegg.

rsw

Reaction score
Any one got sugar bowl and stageing area on there GPS and care to share?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
staging area is the cline river landfill site small green transfer station sign beside highway. follow trail around transfer site and up the mountain. probably still tough to get into and low snow as guys say not really rideable till late season.

jkrabben

Reaction score
i broke trail up there on december 23 and there was alot of powder but no base, it was tough to get to the first bowl and my buddy hit a rock so i dont no what its like past there. it was icy half was up the ravine from being so snow blown and i had to take a couple runs at it to get to the top, have a good one buddy

allanp

Reaction score
Can anyone offer more info on how to get back to Nordegg surgar bowl? Any maps or GPS data? How far off the highway is the landfill site?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can anyone offer more info on how to get back to Nordegg surgar bowl? Any maps or GPS data? How far off the highway is the landfill site?

landfill is about .25 km off hoghway. very small sign at entrance says waste transfer site or something like that. if you hit the david thompson resort thing your about 1-2km to far west. sign is on north side of road. if you get a backroads mapbook for south western alberta it shows all the areas to sled in that zone and gives you a pretty good idea of where to go. i tried getting in there once a couple years ago and was very difficult. never made it all the way. i would definitly recommend going with someon who knows the area or hook up with safari guy for a guided tour. guides know the good spots and are relativly cheap compared to the time/gas you waste trying to find the good spots in uncharted territory i think. that and if things go south they are the best ones to know of an easy way out when seconds count. good luck and have a safe ride.

spike7ss

Reaction score
Yea, definatly get a guide if you dont know your way around out there, its not hard to get turned around and loose yourself out there. Ive seen guys with GPS get lost in an open meadow before!

CB1

Reaction score
Sugar bowl is a fairly small riding area, I've had some very good late season rides in there. The trail in and out is tight. Depending on the number of people that have been in ahead of you can be pounded out with lots of whoops. No grooming here boys. The chute into the first bowl is always icy. Inexperienced riders this is not for you. The chute down into Sugar bowl is a long straight drop in that is always icy and wind blown as well. Getting out is not for the faint at heart. There is a trail around the steep drop in but can be a lot of work also. We took a prairie rider in there last year, he thought he was going to die. This area is fun but tough. Usually gets lots of slides just simply because of the steep angles. We brought down 7 slildes in one day. Usually small ones but we brought down one that accumulated to about 6 feet.

Top Bottom