Stuff to watch for on the 18+ cats.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Day 11 without a engine.
Still not approved by cat care.

Snow in forcast.[/QUOT

My friends lost 90 days last season in the shop with cat motors.

That sucks man, hope they help you out.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Day 11 without a engine.
Still not approved by cat care.

Snow in forcast.[/QUOT

My friends lost 90 days last season in the shop with cat motors.

That sucks man, hope they help you out.
Well I am starting to really question buying sleds with the 4 year warranty.

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The neighbors boy bought a 19 and it did the same thing at about 200km , sucks really bad because it’s his first new sled .i think he is getting warranty but it’s been down since well before Christmas

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The neighbors boy bought a 19 and it did the same thing at about 200km , sucks really bad because it’s his first new sled .i think he is getting warranty but it’s been down since well before Christmas

My issue with warranty is your on trial when something happens even if it’s bone stock. Then as mentioned they drag there feet. If you do it yourself or pay out of pocket it’s done as soon as parts arrive. Skegpro is even dealing with a good dealer trying to help him and it will likely take a month.

bcsnowdog

Reaction score
Cat warranty is usually really good, but there is more than a few of these new engines going down all taking a rod out. Most over 2000kms Cornerstone provides insurance after the first year on 18s and lately seem to be trying to give dealers grief on repairs. I believe its because they are getting quite a few. 19s are covered by Cat warranty for the full four years. All engines i know of have been covered.Techs believe 800s are not getting enough oil.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat warranty is usually really good, but there is more than a few of these new engines going down all taking a rod out. Most over 2000kms Cornerstone provides insurance after the first year on 18s and lately seem to be trying to give dealers grief on repairs. I believe its becauseb they are getting quite a few. 19s are covered by Cat warranty for the full four years. All engines i know of have been covered.Techs believe 800s are not getting enough oil.

That makes sense about what the techs say ! My 18 mountian cat sips oil and it kind of scares me Id rather it take alot more oil so I can get some good engine life !

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I am starting to really question buying sleds with the 4 year warranty.

Yeah it is a waste of money imo

I never buy extended warranty, never have and never will.
One, i don't trust anyone touching my stuff and i don't care who they are.
Two, i let my money speak for it self, i won't buy crap and if it fail's before a reasonable time with no fault of mine i assume eating the money and never buying their product ever again.
As an example, BRP product. I will never give them a dime as i only bend over once.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That makes sense about what the techs say ! My 18 mountian cat sips oil and it kind of scares me Id rather it take alot more oil so I can get some good engine life !
Turn up the pump.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Service manual shows electric...so since during break in it uses more oil then cuts back after so many hours ...dealer would need to program it for more oil. It doesn’t say anything about adjusting it in the service manual. I’ll ask my dealer.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Service manual shows electric...so since during break in it uses more oil then cuts back after so many hours ...dealer would need to program it for more oil. It doesn’t say anything about adjusting it in the service manual. I’ll ask my dealer.
Hmm, this is what I was told when I picked up my sled.

I hashed what had to be done to it.

He said install skis, handle bar riser and set oil pump.

I think the Extra oil during break-in is all controled via the ECM.

But hey I have been wrong before.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say it’s driven from ECM Forsure
So to summarize if there is a way to adjust the oiling setpoint I would definitely be interested in upping mine. Cause these engines burn virtual no oil.

Think I went through, 4 of the big jugs in 2400km.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So to summarize if there is a way to adjust the oiling setpoint I would definitely be interested in upping mine. Cause these engines burn virtual no oil.

Think I went through, 4 of the big jugs in 2400km.

if you know those two variables, do the math...what oil ratio are you getting?

Top Bottom