Stuck on a mountain!!!

Reaction score
Hey guys. hope someone can help here. I was riding in Grande Cache on Mt. Hamel and got about 4/5th the way up when my 2006 Outlander 400 deceided it needed to cool down. Started up just fine after 20 mins but would not move when put in high, low or reverse. I took the cover off thinking i might have chewed up the belt but it was okay. When in park and neutrual the primary spins and the secondary does also. when in high, low or reverse the primary spins but the secondary doesn't. I'm thinking tranny problems. any of you guys come across this? Thanks. Ash

P.S. there are two ways to hike down Hamel, the short way or the long way. The long way sucks. Didn't know about the short way at the time. Thank God Yogi was out stealing picnic baskets somewhere. :mad:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you try to move the secondary by hand while in gear? was there any play at all back and forth? sounds like tra'nny to me too if there was no movement at all. will it roll in neutral, or is it locked up? what do you mean "it" decided it needed to cool down? it quit??

Last edited:

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mt Hamel is a decent climb but not enough to overheat the engine unless the rad is plugged.

If the engine was overheating then likely something was dragging and went tight went you stopped to cool the engine. Check all brakes first; at least that is an easy fix. Other than that your problem is somewhere between the transmission intermidate shaft and an axle or wheel bearings; going to be a bearing/bushing and not an easy fix in the field.

If Yogi is stealing pinic baskets, I hope you didn't leave your lunch with the quad:eek:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
first thing them bears do is chew the chit outta the seat. dunno why, mebbe they like the fart smell....

Reaction score
okay, so I started her up this morning and put it in reverse and hand spun the secondary and it would move backwards and same goes for putting it in high and turning the secondary. Took it to the dealership and they said that they have never seen this before and said it could be very expensive to just look at, a couple of hours to pull apart. hope this sheds a little bit of light on my situation. Thanks.

Reaction score
did you try to move the secondary by hand while in gear? was there any play at all back and forth? sounds like tra'nny to me too if there was no movement at all. will it roll in neutral, or is it locked up? what do you mean "it" decided it needed to cool down? it quit??

No, it rolls freely in neutral, and by "it" i mean the quad itself.:beer:

Reaction score
Well it turns out that I melted the slider shoes in the clutch. Put new ones in that belong to the Outlander 800, dealer said that they are tougher then the 400 ones. Thanks for your guys help that offered.:beer:

Top Bottom