Stripped Bolts

Walleyehunter

Reaction score
I always take the useless ring gear off the back of my primary because I don't have e-start and just see it as a needless piece of rotating mass. Unfortunately I stripped a couple of the bolts and was wondering if any of you have any tips on getting them out. I'm going to run to Home Depot and grab the Irwin "extractor kit". This thing looks like it might work. The bolt in the picture is the worse of the 2, the other one isn't this bad. Or should I just take it to Ken at Specialty and let him worry about it? And oh ya; I feel like a dumbass!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 392

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pick up a reverse twist drill bit while you are at it so you don't screw it in tighter when you drill it out. Although a steel bolt galled in an aluminium clutch may require a machine shop.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you don't care about saving the ring gear just use a zip cut or a grinder and cut the head off. there will be a bit sticking up after the ring gear comes off that you may be able to grab with a vice grip. if that doesn't work then grab the reverse bit sumx suggested to get the rest of the bolt out to keep your clutch in balance.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
those bolts are loctited in place...make sure you warm them up.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use some light heat cause I'm guessing it's got loctite on it. Use the left hand drill bit with lots of lube and use the screw extractor and it will come. But be careful with the heat.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
block the clutch so you don't dent the sheave and smack the bolt with a small ballpeen hammer a few times they will snap free easy

and a small propane torch and heat area of the clutch where the bolt is if locktite was used in assembly

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe BRP uses the ring for balance and dampening for the crankshaft. That was what I was told by a service rep at BRP when they first started putting them on all there 800's, e/s or not.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like teeroy suggested , use a Die Grinder and it will be gone in seconds

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with this comment although i do know of a dealer that is removing them and telling his costomers that it helps the engine rev-up faster. If it was me. I would be leaving it on. BRP isn't installing them on all their clutches for no reason.

Walleyehunter

Reaction score
I was told by several reliable sources that it has nothing to do with balancing/dampening. BRP does put the ring gear on all the clutches for one simple reason: it's easier for them to just put it on all of them instead of just the ones with e-start.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haven't had one since 2008 and no troubles.
2008xp sled and 2010 xp
I run a race primary.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Providing the clutch is off the sled, weld a bolt or a nut to it and then heat it up. It should come out. Don't weld it if its still on the sled, you could arc the motor bearings or fry the electrics if you ground in the wrong place.

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Providing the clutch is off the sled, weld a bolt or a nut to it and then heat it up. It should come out. Don't weld it if its still on the sled, you could arc the motor bearings or fry the electrics if you ground in the wrong place.

I'm a welder and I work on mining equipment and deal with broken bolts all the time. I fully endorse modman's post.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is specality sockets out for rounded bolt heads that should work,or like previous weld a nit on the head and it should come out,done many bolts this way with no issues

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was told by several reliable sources that it has nothing to do with balancing/dampening. BRP does put the ring gear on all the clutches for one simple reason: it's easier for them to just put it on all of them instead of just the ones with e-start.
Mine was Paul Literski at BRP service in Sherbrooke. Who are your reliable sources?

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
weld a nut to the stripped bolt head then heat the **** out of the area where the bolt goes into the clutch (with a regular propane torch) then douse it with WD 40 while still hot. this will both help lube the threads and shock the loc tite free.(don't be alarmed by all the smoke this makes) viola! one removed bolt! ( do all this off the engine which based on the pic looks like it is off already)

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like some guys already stated, a little heat with loctite helps. A trick I use is to tighten the bolt just a bit first then try loosening it. And of course good quality tools help, cheap ones round off their points quickly and result in what you have here.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
All i ever do with bolts like that is take a cutting wheel on a dremel or a grinder and cut a slat in it, then i take my big old flat head screw driver and go to town with heat, and a bit of candle wax if it's rusted in.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would just put the non stripped ones back in and forget about taking the ring gear off!

Top Bottom