Strange whine from turbo and no leak on exhaust side for mcxpress turbo apex

johnvokey

Reaction score
My 2007 mcxpress turbo apex 290hp kit is making a strange whining noise from the turbo, as a result I'm experiencing a larger pop from the bottom end as well as an increase in turbo lag. It's sounds a lot like a supercharger whine. Could it be because of and issues with the boost altitude compensator or from
running lean? Thoughts?

givemeaboost

Reaction score
Check it for side play and see if it has been rubbing the compressor housing. It sounds like mine did when the bearings went out.

Ken...............

johnvokey

Reaction score
It's nothing to do with the turbo it's tight, and not a ball bearing turbo, is there any place they tend to leak on the intake side?

bigfish

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is your turbo sucking air sounds like intake side,but it does not sound too abnormal to me.is your pop as you get on the throttle or a little after

johnvokey

Reaction score
It's pops just before boost comes in I'm pretty sure it's due to improper spark plug gaping and it's not the Intake sucking in air it's a boost leak for sure I had it all apart a few day ago and I couldn't find a boost leak on the entire exhaust side, I'm going to take the whole kit off and leak test both the boosted and the exhaust side see what I find out.

Top Bottom