Storm a brewing in Oil Country

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look out Edmontians......a storm is now brewing, 3 years in a row with the first overall pick........ This team of youth is going to be severely buffed .... providing Tambs makes the right decision, Give it 2 years and this team is going to be something else to watch, personally i think they need a d-man, to quarter back the PP a bit better, but i dont think they will go that route. they will take Nail. The power in the west is about to change real soon me thinks.. Grats Oil fans

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you takin the team around the golf course on the canam again?

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you takin the team around the golf course on the canam again?
Heh Heh larry, not this year, business dont pick up soon the can am will belong to someone else to haul them around the course

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
to be honest with you despite the teams record they were fun to watch at times, but you could see they really sagged without the nuge and halsy being in the lineup. All those young guns in the lineup are gaonna give the other teams fits. Who do they go after? Can't watch all of them at the same time.

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nail Yakupov
is exactly who they will take, make no mistake..... this kid is the next Ovechkin, hopefully with all these high picks the egos in the room wont get to big and cause confrontation between them all, they need a serious leader .........and Horcoff isnt it.... I forsee Hall, wearing the C very, very soon, will be his 3rd year, and he has made it quite clear failure isnt an option anymore, nobody like to loose, and if anyone has ever watched Hall play while he was a junior.........You would quickly realize , he especially dont like it for extended periods.
That being said if they do take Nail, the offensive punch this team is going to have is going to be incredible to say the least........One word.... DONT ... take a penalty against the Oil is going to be pondered around several coaches next year lol

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda brutal that you get the 1st pick two years in a row and still finish poorly enough that you get the 1st pick again, just saying.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just think about them lowly Flames, maybe Iggy Pop will be there stick boy when he retires with no cup. I was shocked they won the draft good for them.

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just think about them lowly Flames, maybe Iggy Pop will be there stick boy when he retires with no cup. I was shocked they won the draft good for them.

Can we not discuss the Flames..............please :(.................I might go postal....just saying..............stick to topic of the Oilers ha ha ha

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I am not a huge Oiler fan, as I have been a die hard Habs fan since i was a kid, but.........you cant help but admire the predicament the Oilers are in with this talent injection 3 years in a row, i watched a lot of Hopkins in his final year with Red Deer, and i was pretty much on mark with my thoughts. Finished tied for 1st in Rookie scoring, with Gabriel ......but played 20 full games less then him... Eberle was a given, knew he would find his way ... With some great leadership i would expect this team to get to at least the second round next year, if they dont it is because the coach, and or injuries

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda brutal that you get the 1st pick two years in a row and still finish poorly enough that you get the 1st pick again, just saying.

How many years did the Penguins have to tank it to draft enough talent to get a cup?

Anyhow, having the 1st overall pick once again I believe changes things. At this point I think you have to take Nail. He is the best player available. What this also does is make someone like Hall moveable a year down the road. Oh I know, people wouldn't be happy about that but I still think he is a liability but there are teams who would grab him in a second.

Other than taking Nail, trade down? Trade for a true #1 d, or maybe a lesser D and a NHL starting netminder?

I still think Seguin and Landeskog should have been the picks Edmonton took, but I am just a fan, not a GM. So in me saying I think they should take Nail means they don't and they take a positional player like Murray who is still a great pick.

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this edmonton team is going to so much fun to watch. I really hope they take Nail and trade away hemsky and mayboe omark for a big d man. Its going to be alot easier to make trades for power players now that edmonton has such a bright future.

New Arena and a Major Cup contender in the next couple years.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
this edmonton team is going to so much fun to watch. I really hope they take nail and trade away hemsky and mayboe omark for a big d man. Its going to be alot easier to make trades for power players now that edmonton has such a bright future.

New arena and a major cup contender in the next couple years.

yup, can't wait...... Much brighter future than most teams(especially calgary -- whispered in a quiet voice) out there!!! Ya, baby

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup, can't wait...... Much brighter future than most teams(especially calgary -- whispered in a quiet voice) out there!!! Ya, baby
If , and i think they will take Nail , and keep them all, the display of talent on the team will be amazing, i do kind of question yakupovs, showboating however, Ive never been a big fan of that kind of thing, but i think with a little more maturing and playing in the NhL, he will tame it down, his on ice celebrations are very similar to Ovy, but even he has toned them down.The one very good thing about Nail is, that he has already adapted to american and canadian type of play, because he has been with the sting.. Ovy never did play for a canadian junior team. He very much reminds me of Pavel Bure, especially how he skates so low. Should be interesting

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so anyone that picks first is an instant contender? que-col, pitt and chi all took 3 first pics before they were contenders, rome wasnt built in a day, and championship teams arnt built in one year. what IS brutal is 42 years and no cup. JUST SAYIN...

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are they going to be able to/willing to resign all these young; high draft picks after they become restricted free agents when their entry level contracts are up? Just something to think about.

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they should Trade Horcoff also and get rid of Vodka {Habibulen} lol

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so anyone that picks first is an instant contender? que-col, pitt and chi all took 3 first pics before they were contenders, rome wasnt built in a day, and championship teams arnt built in one year. what IS brutal is 42 years and no cup. JUST SAYIN...
No Not a contender but should get them off the bottom of the barrel a little. Doesn't look too good on the GM when his rebuilding strategy is finish last cause I can't buy/trade for players.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Horcoff can not be traded, unless he is willing to go, won't be happening.

Edmonton didn't want to finish last, it was forced onto them. Going to the 06 finals on a cinderella run, losing pronger hurt them, then having multiple season ending injuries with key players over the next few seasons and of the free agents they signed, they didn't work out. At that point, accept it and tank it. Or end up looking like Calgary who's cupboards are empty.

They still need to find a big center to play with Hall and whoever (Nail? Hemsky) and a big winger to play with Nuge and Eberle. Many people figure Hemsky is gone. I say give him this year to show how all the injuries have healed. He has no value at this point. Play him, if he plays well trade him.

The D is compiled of bunch of 2-3rd pairings. Whitney, could be a top pairing, but I think his injuries have worn him out. Smid, awesome 2nd pairing, Schultz, again 2nd pairing. Potter, meh, he was cheap, Sutton, heck play him on the 4th line wing and he can drive to the net. Otherwise he sits. Petry, needs another season to figure out his game. It will be 2-3 years before you see Marincin, Klefbom, Gernat and Musil. Even then, maybe 2 of those 4 turn out to be top pairings. Barker and Peckham are trade for trade on some other garbage.

In the net, Bunz and Roy are 2-3 years away so we stuck with Bullin and Dubey.

The day after Gagner had an 8 point night, they should have traded him. Omark is as good as gone, same as Paaj, I doubt he starts the year in Edm.

Doubt you will see Smyth back, or Petrell.

Someone mentioned will they be able to sign all those guys in a few years? Of course not. Chicago couldn't keep thier roster together either. But with a deep pool of young talent available for 3-5 years after that there will be suitable replacements. Superstars, no, replacements, yes.

Just because a team has a few superstars in their roster doesn't mean anything either. Isn't there a team on the West Coast who has two alien looking twins on its roster with other all star, hart trophy, art ross, william jennings and so on winners.

But it doesn't hurt...

Top Bottom