Stolen Inheritance

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My father passed away in B.C. in October 2012, he left everything to me and my 3 siblings. My brother is/was the executor of the estate. At first he seemed like he was fulfilling his duties as executor, then he stopped communicating, cancelled his cell phone and cut ties with our mother.

Myself and my 2 other siblings hired a lawyer to move forward. My brother ignored all calls and attempts of contact for a few months, finally the Process server caught up to him and served him the papers to produce all the documents to the court within 14 days, which he ignored. Our lawyer has filed the paperwork to have me become the executor and that is where we are at the moment. Thus far we are into this for $5000

I'm curios if any of you have gone through this before? Any advice? Our lawyer did say at the start of this we may never see any monies. Isn't a will a legal document?

Frustrated

kakwa climber

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As an executor he has all the power. His lawyer and fees are covered by the estate. Good luck this is such a sad story and the only people that will be happy at the end unfortunately are the lawyers

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel for you. it's funny we were just talking about this issue yesterday at work on how money and death rips familes apart more and more

Snowdin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I feel for you man. In all likelihood the only winners here are going to be the lawyers and the greedy brother. Yes a will is a legal document but the lawyers and judges know exactly how to drag legal actions on and on until everyone is broke but them. Some one once said "Kill all the lawyers except one" Good plan me thinks.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is amazing and very sad how money changes people. I have seen it happen before, and its amazing over how little money.

fidorama

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.geocaching.com
I agree the lawyers will be the only real winners.... And yes even just the chance of a little money changes people. I do not have what one would call a good relationship with my father, who often threatens to terminate me from his will.. I personally don't care, but my sister found out about this, and was overjoyed! She posted remarks on facebook, gloating! some people are just sick with greed!

I truly wish you luck man!, but I am guessing your bro, will have spent, or hidden away any leftover funds long before you would get into any position to do anything about it, and you and the rest will be stuck with your legal fee's.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife is going through something similar with her fathers estate, her sister is the executor and there seems to be a lot of stuff not being accounted for. Our legal advice was Yeah, you could call for an audit but the end result is that you are unlikely to be able to enforce any judgement. Like others have said the winners will be the lawyers after all is said and done. Unfortunately it will tear the family apart no matter what happens.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow man, that's the chits, not just because of any money you may have gotten but just on principal. I don't agree that money changes people; I firmly believe that, much like alcohol, money just helps them to show their true colors. I can be kinda petty when I'm betrayed like this, so I'd probably eat whatever it cost me to make sure he'd regret the decision to be a douche bag.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been on the other end of this. I was the executor, a responsibility I wouldn't wish on anybody. In my very first meeting with the lawyer he told me two things. 1-At least one of the beneficiaries will give you problems. 2-You WILL be an azzhole.

I'm not going to say that him cutting off communication was right....but I was tempted to with one of my three siblings. I very nearly petitioned the court to have myself removed as executor. I did everything above board with proper documentation from both the accountant and lawyer, and she still wasn't happy. In the end it got settled, but we haven't spoken in 14 years.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is always one or two selfish idiots in each family
My father passed away in B.C. in October 2012, he left everything to me and my 3 siblings. My brother is/was the executor of the estate. At first he seemed like he was fulfilling his duties as executor, then he stopped communicating, cancelled his cell phone and cut ties with our mother.

Myself and my 2 other siblings hired a lawyer to move forward. My brother ignored all calls and attempts of contact for a few months, finally the Process server caught up to him and served him the papers to produce all the documents to the court within 14 days, which he ignored. Our lawyer has filed the paperwork to have me become the executor and that is where we are at the moment. Thus far we are into this for $5000

I'm curios if any of you have gone through this before? Any advice? Our lawyer did say at the start of this we may never see any monies. Isn't a will a legal document?

Frustrated

frock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My father just went through this with his siblings and it broke his heart, first time he's ever cried in front of his kid. I used to look up to the aunts and uncle that did this to him, as some on here have already mentioned it is amazing what money will do to some. I can't stand looking at those people any more and haven't spoke to them since.

One of my sisters and I are the executors of our parents will and we have all sat around and joked about it as well as had a serious discussion about this and I believe I am very fortunate to have the siblings that I do.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Thunderr, hope you get things sorted out one way or the other.

SavageCanuck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a similar narcissistic father who has threaten to cut my older bro and myself from his will.I said I don't really care as My older bro and I are worth a lot more than he has.He is not going to use that crap on me and I do love my 2 younger bros and they could use the money [what little there is] more than we need it.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
I personally believe, even though a person is related to or has friends with money to never, ever EXPECT things in wills. Bitterness is a festering wound best not added to by greed and false expectations. My biological father, uncles, aunts and grandparents have all died and not a whole lot came my way. Expect nothing, enjoy their company while their here and if something eventually comes your way feel good about it. It's really not worth the mental anguish and bad health it can bring. Just sayin.

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
I know times like this emotions run high. Anger and hatred over things are hard to avoid, especially when it's happening and your stuck in it. Having gone through it and seen it again and again I just stood back and don't expect anything from anyone. Like a movie, you go in expecting something and your usually disappointed. The only thing you really own is what your wearing and what you ate. Hope you guys can work something out. Good luck. W.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I lost both my parents, when my Dad passed. My oldest brother was the executor, of the Will. But the Will stated... "that everything was to be split evenly, amongst the surviving siblings. If there were no siblings, the estate was to go to next of kin"

Have you read the Will, and know what the conditions are?

Thunderr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I have read the will and it states everything is to be divided equally amongst the 4 of us.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dealing with this right now with grandpa's will... lawyer took all the cash assests... executor my mom handed it all out.... didn't effect me... what the bs part was the theiving one side of the family cleaned grandpa out before he was even dead... you know all the little nice to keep things that never get mentioned in a will... cash n property be hard for him to squander away...

what would be interesting to find out is that if there is a will and he's the executor and therefore stealing your money... is that a police matter or cival? Is there a lawyer involved is the will even legal???

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
dealing with this right now with grandpa's will... lawyer took all the cash assests... executor my mom handed it all out.... didn't effect me... what the bs part was the theiving one side of the family cleaned grandpa out before he was even dead... you know all the little nice to keep things that never get mentioned in a will... cash n property be hard for him to squander away...
it was even crazier after my grandpa passed, he was angry with my pa and cut him out of his will a year or two before his passing. everyone knew my pop was his favourite, they were very close for years until my mom number three drove a wedge between them. the day of the funeral was when the other siblings came to Kelowna, after the service the family went back to the house where they were just raiding all of grampa's knick knacks. it made me sick to my stomach

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its snowing here nicely but thats a sad read ...

let us know how it plays out so other can learn ...

thanks ...

Top Bottom