Stocks to watch

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is going to be a reckoning on wallstreet. If AOC and Ted Cruz both agree that what Robinhood and some other brokers did is wrong there is going to be hell to pay. Already at least two class action suites against Robbinhood.

I cannot wait for tomorrow with the class actions and media getting a hold of this. That and everyone has all night to coordinate ways to buy up. Couple that with short positions needing to be bought back. When everything is opened up for buying again it will be a frenzy.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I grabbed some at $210

fetchimage.jpeg

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
I cannot wait for tomorrow with the class actions and media getting a hold of this. That and everyone has all night to coordinate ways to buy up. Couple that with short positions needing to be bought back. When everything is opened up for buying again it will be a frenzy.

Guys on WSB are saying a huge amount of short positions were bought this morning. I'm thinking that with Robinhood not allowing buying the hedge funds are going to sell them tomorrow and try and tank the stock and try and get all the 01/29 calls to expire out of the money. Then the retail investors with the calls won't have any money to buy the stock sold as shorts and the hedge funds will buy them back next week to cover.

I'm new to this so if my train of thought is off let me know. I won't be but hurt with discussion.

I hope this blows up in the hedge funds faces. If AOC raises a sink and makes Robinhood allow trading it will.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if i'm happy or sad i'm still waiting for my account to be opened and haven't been able to put any in yet. All I know is i'm only starting with $1000 and will see how it goes, no big bets anytime soon.

JustChilling19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It completely is gambling! But it’s sure fun in lockdown! Embracing it for what it is. Happy to be playing with house money as we ride out the wave tomorrow.

check out the after hours!!

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I'm not sure if i'm happy or sad i'm still waiting for my account to be opened and haven't been able to put any in yet. All I know is i'm only starting with $1000 and will see how it goes, no big bets anytime soon.

Who is your account through? I was going to do the $1000 thing too back when I started but that quickly grew to $11,000. When your paying $9.98/trade on both the front and back end each full transaction is $20 and I cant justify a sell unless I'm getting at least $250 profit because even then 20% of my gain goes to the bank..... fawkin crooks

So on $1000 unless you hit a 25% return on a single stock it hardly pays to sell, if you are using the $1000 to buy multiple stocks then the fees increase with each transaction.... I would likely (no 100% for sure) be much further ahead if I sold every time I hit $250 profit but I can't stand the fees..... US has a lot of no fee brokerages from what I hear but last time I looked best available in Canada was $4.95/trade but only with high volume trading.

That said my TFSA only started with $2500 and bi-weekly deposits of $100 and it has bought me a car and a trip to Hawaii so far with a healthy balance....

Last edited:

rsmorin1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Who is your account through? I was going to do the $1000 thing too back when I started but that quickly grew to $11,000. When your paying $9.98/trade on both the front and back end each full transaction is $20 and I cant justify a sell unless I'm getting at least $250 profit because even then 20% of my gain goes to the bank..... fawkin crooks

So on $1000 unless you hit a 25% return on a single stock it hardly pays to sell, if you are using the $1000 to buy multiple stocks then the fees increase with each transaction.... I would likely (no 100% for sure) be much further ahead if I sold every time I hit $250 profit but I can't stand the fees..... US has a lot of no fee brokerages from what I hear but last time I looked best available in Canada was $4.95/trade but only with high volume trading.

That said my TFSA only started with $2500 and bi-weekly deposits of $100 and it has bought me a car and a trip to Hawaii so far with a healthy balance....

I opened an account last year, figured I would try my hand at trading. Dropped in the minimum 1k, invested in a pot stock that I was watching for a bit. Had great news coming from the company & put in almost the 1k. Watched it stay about the same for a month or 2 & then they pulled the stock from the exchange. �� It came back on the exchange a couple months ago but is worth about $40.00. Hopefully it comes back, I was hoping to do a few trades & use this as a learning experience but just my luck lol. Good on you guys for doing well in all this, maybe it’s just not my thing. I enjoy reading this thread for some insight on how to decipher what’s a winner / loser stock.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I opened an account last year, figured I would try my hand at trading. Dropped in the minimum 1k, invested in a pot stock that I was watching for a bit. Had great news coming from the company & put in almost the 1k. Watched it stay about the same for a month or 2 & then they pulled the stock from the exchange. �� It came back on the exchange a couple months ago but is worth about $40.00. Hopefully it comes back, I was hoping to do a few trades & use this as a learning experience but just my luck lol. Good on you guys for doing well in all this, maybe it’s just not my thing. I enjoy reading this thread for some insight on how to decipher what’s a winner / loser stock.

It's like gambling, everyone loves to talk about their winnings but when things go to chit it's crickets.... I have quite a few pot stocks where I'm down 80 & 90% but at this point they are not worth selling due to the fees, maybe one or two of them will come back but who knows. I've done well on dividend paying low risk stocks like apple, capital power, badger, trican etc... but like I said I'm bag holding on many. I was fortunate to be heavily invested in pot between christmas and new years 2017, my $11K jumped to about $78K in 2 days but I fawked it up and although I sold profit I reinvested that profit into other pot stocks rather than another sector, when the dust settled my $78K had dwindled to about $40K but still much better than the $11K I started with. since then I've done OK, my combined portfolio sits at about $48K and I've pulled about $25K out of my TFSA over the past few years so if I'd left it alone I'd likely be at about a total of $75K from an initial investment of $11K 4 years ago.

I do feel cursed some days. I sold SOLR @ $0.30 a few weeks ago and since that time it's been as high as $0.63 with dips as low as $0.41 but my timing is always off. I look at it as play money, my retirement $$$ is secure in other accounts, but losing money sucks, even when it's play money.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I went with CIBC because reviews seems to be decent and it's who I do the bulk of my banking with. It's $6.95 a trade to which seemed good. I am starting with a little to just figure it out with low risk, and currently paying off some debt once i'm down to only mortgage debt at the end of the year i'll put more in. I don't see the point in investing when I could get rid of 6% debt first. I want to see what returns I can yield, if good enough i'd happily get more focused on it instead of real estate and get into 6 figures next year.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's like gambling, everyone loves to talk about their winnings but when things go to chit it's crickets.... I have quite a few pot stocks where I'm down 80 & 90% but at this point they are not worth selling due to the fees, maybe one or two of them will come back but who knows. I've done well on dividend paying low risk stocks like apple, capital power, badger, trican etc... but like I said I'm bag holding on many. I was fortunate to be heavily invested in pot between christmas and new years 2017, my $11K jumped to about $78K in 2 days but I fawked it up and although I sold profit I reinvested that profit into other pot stocks rather than another sector, when the dust settled my $78K had dwindled to about $40K but still much better than the $11K I started with. since then I've done OK, my combined portfolio sits at about $48K and I've pulled about $25K out of my TFSA over the past few years so if I'd left it alone I'd likely be at about a total of $75K from an initial investment of $11K 4 years ago.

I do feel cursed some days. I sold SOLR @ $0.30 a few weeks ago and since that time it's been as high as $0.63 with dips as low as $0.41 but my timing is always off. I look at it as play money, my retirement $$$ is secure in other accounts, but losing money sucks, even when it's play money.

Like the hard truths.. started as well in June, and it’s been a hard Hiway for most I bought, some are not bad, my biggest portfolio has had some good luck early and was fortunate enough to dump and keep warrants.. but the next deepest has been a loss all around, and had so much potential, just bad timing with covid and regulations.. if I did it all again, don’t think i would..

This latest gme sounds like another brexit, all good till you loss your ass

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use CIBC as well for a self directed RRSP and other trading account. $6.95/ trade.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I went with CIBC because reviews seems to be decent and it's who I do the bulk of my banking with. It's $6.95 a trade to which seemed good. I am starting with a little to just figure it out with low risk, and currently paying off some debt once i'm down to only mortgage debt at the end of the year i'll put more in. I don't see the point in investing when I could get rid of 6% debt first. I want to see what returns I can yield, if good enough i'd happily get more focused on it instead of real estate and get into 6 figures next year.

I hear ya, we are down to just the mortgage and a car payment at 0.9% so at this point I don't have debt to worry about. $6.95 is better then my $9.98 but I went with RBC because that's where all our banking is and they have been decent to us... but hey keep CIBC busy because that was the bank stock I decided to go with, been good over the past 6 months. My accounts are TFSA & RRSP and I figure if I can build a 6 figure nest-egg in there over the next 10-15 years then retirement will be a little more comfortable. We have 10 years left on the mortgage then after that I'll pound that $5000/mth into my self directed TFSA in dividend stocks for a few years.... I know I know with interest rates so low why worry about pounding down a mortgage, the answer to that is Because I want too.

Top Bottom