Stocks to watch

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope you mean less volatile outside Alberta. Only property that has ever been a bad investment is my house in Berta lol. Try and tell everyone who is down 100-150k on their house it was a good investment. I’m just hoping to comes back in the next 10 years. The rest of the country is in a real estate boom and Alberta is dog ****. Guess that’s what happens when the economy is a one trick pony.

Real estate in the USA is even a worse investment!

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I physically have gold. Dug from the ground myself. I also own real estate. My personal feeling is that in the event of a actual civil war i think my livestock is going to be more valuable than anything else

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope you mean less volatile outside Alberta. Only property that has ever been a bad investment is my house in Berta lol. Try and tell everyone who is down 100-150k on their house it was a good investment. I’m just hoping to comes back in the next 10 years. The rest of the country is in a real estate boom and Alberta is dog ****. Guess that’s what happens when the economy is a one trick pony.

Well that is people buying in high times. But you don't loose anything unless you sell, and rental rates have held steady and interest rates are low so no worries here. The return in real estate is largely from renting in many cases, not from property appreciation, that is just a nice benefit. If you look at long term ownership like 20+ years real estate will appreciate, unless you happened to buy in a insanely high time and sell in a really bad time. Yea it wouldn't look good if you bought a house in 2007. If interest rates stay this low and this covid fawks off in the spring, I think prices are going to go up quite nicely in Alberta this year.

Let me put it this way, if I could buy 20 homes in Alberta tomorrow 0% down with these sub 2% rates locked in for 5 years I would in a heartbeat, there is huge cash to be made.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Real estate in the USA is even a worse investment!

Please explain because my US real estate gives much better ROI then my Canadian holdings plus the tax advantages are ten fold what they are in Canada. Even after the exchange our dollar still goes further down there then it does at home. I'm not a fan of the states but when it comes to free enterprise they got it figured out. Not to mention actual liability coverage.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It will come back, plus if you buy something hoping it will go up in value that's speculating not investing.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My home in Revelstoke has increased 65% in the last three years . Unfortunately there are many negatives that go along with that including people that move here to get away from the Sh..hole they left only to immediately begin to want to change it to be exactly like where they moved away from. Still waiting for the dreadlock deodorizing kiosk to be installed in the plaza downtown.

Truebro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please explain because my US real estate gives much better ROI then my Canadian holdings plus the tax advantages are ten fold what they are in Canada. Even after the exchange our dollar still goes further down there then it does at home. I'm not a fan of the states but when it comes to free enterprise they got it figured out. Not to mention actual liability coverage.

You must read the post before that post. Lilduke answered a question suggesting buying real estate if there was a civil war. If the civil war is in the USA, as it most likely wouldn’t be in Canada given the current political state one would think purchasing real estate that has potential of being destroyed during a civil war would be a bad idea.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You must read the post before that post. Lilduke answered a question suggesting buying real estate if there was a civil war. If the civil war is in the USA, as it most likely wouldn’t be in Canada given the current political state one would think purchasing real estate that has potential of being destroyed during a civil war would be a bad idea.

Thats the whole point. Its dirt cheap in a war type scenario. basically free. guys like Rothschild can buy up what ever they want....
(its called timing, eg dont buy right before the war, you buy during or maybe immediately after. Comon man....)

But as I said before many times Teamdirt/Trubro are you the same guy BTW? I like gold, I own gold. Gold is great.

Buffet is an old dirt bag though and used to say Gold is a "pet rock" I guess he came around.

Gold isn't really an investment though, its a store of value.

If you go buy a bunch Barrick Gold mining stock like buffet did that could be an investment. He sold a bunch of it already though, But fk buffet anyways he aint out to help you...lol

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My home in Revelstoke has increased 65% in the last three years . Unfortunately there are many negatives that go along with that including people that move here to get away from the Sh..hole they left only to immediately begin to want to change it to be exactly like where they moved away from. Still waiting for the dreadlock deodorizing kiosk to be installed in the plaza downtown.

Yeah Im kicking myself for not buying in Revy 5 or 10 years ago.

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah Im kicking myself for not buying in Revy 5 or 10 years ago.

it’s mind boggling here with 50x 100 lots selling at 350k then construction costs at 350 square foot . Only trust fund babies and those with substantial cash can afford to build anything here. That’s why there are flop houses everywhere with 6-12 tenants and vehicles on the streets blocking snow removal .Welcome to resort living!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it’s mind boggling here with 50x 100 lots selling at 350k then construction costs at 350 square foot . Only trust fund babies and those with substantial cash can afford to build anything here. That’s why there are flop houses everywhere with 6-12 tenants and vehicles on the streets blocking snow removal .Welcome to resort living!

You can still do it if you really want to. My buddy who works for CP bought a lot for 250 ish last year and built him self a nice place this year.(did most the labor himself)

But for me its not worth it for a vacation place when I can buy in Sicamous for the half price. So looking down that way now.

Last edited:

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
back in late 90s i had a chance to buy a few lots off of Hector, can’t remember his last name, he was well know in town, ran the yammy dealership, they were 25k a lot, if I only knew what I do now..

buddy has a house there that he bought twenty years back, now three-four times the value he paid, crazy times

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be Hector Scarcelli , he owned H&J Ready mix in town. I haven’t heard anything about him or his son Troy for quite some time since he sold the concrete company. Apparently Hector lives in Kelowna now .

Last edited:

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The potential in revy was crazy I remember looking at places in 04/05 full 5 bedroom shacks for 60-80k. Always a risk that a resort actually comes in though.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds about right.. he sold me a 700efi grizzly quad, he was a real nice guy, yes owned the cement company, he Delivered to naskup .. heard he was in Mexico doing some fishing charters or something.. wish in would of bought in then to his lots.. stupid stupid back then

That would be Hector Scarcelli , he owned H&J Ready mix in town. I haven’t heard anything about him or his son Troy for quite some time since he sold the concrete company. Apparently Hector lives in Kelowna now .

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Soooo lucky I'm not a trader by occupation, I'd be broke.

Been bullish on Solar Aliance Energy for quite some time now, picked up 40K shares a while back @ $0.035.
January 5th they announced a signed agreement for a $60M US solar project and Boom jumped up to $0.30 but didn't hold, over the next week it dropped back as low as $0.21. Today it opened at $0.25 and by 11am was back to $0.30 so rather than watch it go back down I put in a sell order.
After bouncing around 27/28 cents for a few hours it bumped and my order filled - nice 10K profit but just as ALWAYS within 20 min she hit $0.35 - $2K left on the table - wow $0.385 now so I guess about $5k FML...

I'm gonna start giving everyone a heads up before I sell anything

I'm guessing it will come back down and I'll get back in was hoping for a $0.25 entry but that may not happen now.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soooo lucky I'm not a trader by occupation, I'd be broke.

Been bullish on Solar Aliance Energy for quite some time now, picked up 40K shares a while back @ $0.035.
January 5th they announced a signed agreement for a $60M US solar project and Boom jumped up to $0.30 but didn't hold, over the next week it dropped back as low as $0.21. Today it opened at $0.25 and by 11am was back to $0.30 so rather than watch it go back down I put in a sell order.
After bouncing around 27/28 cents for a few hours it bumped and my order filled - nice 10K profit but just as ALWAYS within 20 min she hit $0.35 - $2K left on the table - wow $0.385 now so I guess about $5k FML...

I'm gonna start giving everyone a heads up before I sell anything

I'm guessing it will come back down and I'll get back in was hoping for a $0.25 entry but that may not happen now.

Can't complain about a nice profit, no one can time it perfectly.

That's a nice return, i'm really thinking I should give this whole stock thing a try even with $10k and see what happens.

Top Bottom