Still Worth Getting Back Into Quadding Considering the SSR/NSR Land Use Frameworks?

mikey-p

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I’m back in Alberta after having been away for 15 years and when I used to live here, I spent tons of time quadding in the foothills (from Castle up to Ram Falls). As I was planning for the move back Calgary, I always assumed that I’d be purchasing a pair of quads for the wife and I to go out riding in those beautiful areas that I had ridden so much in the late ‘90s.

When I started doing my research, I came across the SSR\NSR Land Use Frameworks, and now I’m looking for confirmation that it’s still worthwhile to buy the quads and get back into riding. By worthwhile, I mean; are we all getting squeezed onto a small\limited number of trails where it will actually feel like we’re riding in traffic? Or, is this more about making sure that folks stay on trail, off river beds, etc.?

I’ve gone through the SSR Land Use document but there’s a lot of information in there and I can’t clearly get a grasp of what areas are no longer accessible compared to 15 years ago. I’m hoping some of you can shed some light on this, considering the viewpoint of someone who’s been away for 15 years. How different is the amount of access that we have today compared to then?

I hope that I’m not coming across as being negative, but a lot of the chatter around this on the web is negative. At the end of the day, I sure hope that we still have enough access to make buying a pair of quads worthwhile (afterall, they aren’t cheap as we all know).

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

mike

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My understanding of it all is that we're not going to see any drastic changes in the immediate future as a result of these regional plans. Probably the single biggest change we've been seeing lately is enforcement, particularly when it comes to rivers and streams. I also understand that the objective is not necessarily to close areas down but to open and expand designated areas to help limit the amount illegal use in restricted areas - the argument is that people currently ride illegally in restricted areas due to lack of designated areas.

That said, our numbers are continually growing as are the number of opponents to our community. The future could possibly look grim for us, so my philosophy is to enjoy it now while I can and join an AOHVA sanctioned club to help protect our rights and interests.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like was said above join a sanctioned club. If none exists in your area start your own. Thats what i did their is strength in numbers.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like was said above join a sanctioned club. If none exists in your area start your own. Thats what i did their is strength in numbers.

This is needed badly. There needs to be local ohv clubs to improve and be responsible for different areas. The clubs show that there are responsible users in the area working on trail issues. That's one thing that Snowmobilers have over ATVers. A strong provincial club network with provincial trail standards and a funding process that works.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another useful tool is a PLUZ map. This better lists and describes what areas are open to riding and when. Most of the time these areas are signed so one knows when you drive into the area but not always. Best to know beforehand.

Last edited:

mikey-p

Reaction score
Thanks for the great feedback everyone (and map link LBZ)!

I'm in Calgary so i will join the Calgary ATV Riders Association.

Now on to quad shopping for the wife and I :)

mike

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to quad in the 90's as well, Its changed alot since then and not from a regulation stand point. Theres more people out there than in the city.

Top Bottom