Stiffen up the back end of a Half Ton

greenlightning86

Reaction score
I have firestone airbags on my 2013 GMC 1/2 and they recommend a minimum of 5psi so I keep mine in the 5 to 8 range when empty. The truck is definitely rougher with no load in box but after awhile that just becomes the normal and you don't think about it...until you are in a parking lot full of speed bumps.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what does a set of firestone airbags cost installed? any rough ideas?

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have firestone airbags on my 2013 GMC 1/2 and they recommend a minimum of 5psi so I keep mine in the 5 to 8 range when empty. The truck is definitely rougher with no load in box but after awhile that just becomes the normal and you don't think about it...until you are in a parking lot full of speed bumps.

did you ever try with less pressure to see if that choppiness goes away?

greenlightning86

Reaction score
did you ever try with less pressure to see if that choppiness goes away?

No I am scared to run them empty just in case somethings comes up when I have to put something in the box and I don't want to get the compressor to add air. I just feel better having some air in them because it doesn't take much weight to make the back end squat down on a half ton.

Xfmontana

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I payed 400 without compressor, took me 4hrs to install. Have had them for 5 years, work awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so what does a set of firestone airbags cost installed? any rough ideas?
650$ installed for a set of firestone ride rite for a 3/4 ton at trucks plus. Free tire rotation at the same time.

Should be a little less for a 1/2 ton.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a couple of random thoughts for my airbag experiences in the past.... I am a big believer air bag size is huge for ride quality the bigger the better. Look at highway tractors, large volume low pressure equals the same amount of lift with small volume high pressure. So this poses an issue for most off the shelf kits, as space gets tighter in new trucks bags get smaller. They do the job to take the load but ride quality suffers. Someday.. I am going to remove at least half my leaf pack and rig up a couple of big bags. Can you say cadillac smooth at 20 psi.

Another suggestion to look at when choosing a kit, (I have had pac brake, firestone and air lift setups) look for steel or metal fittings on bags. My airlift bags plastic fittings broke off when I was on gravel hauling a load. PITA. Firestone and pac brake kits had steel or variation there of fittings and never had an issue. Most kits will come with plastic tubing, consider replacing that with hydraulic hose if you do significant off road driving, if not shield it or wrap it etc, you get the idea.

Any who bigger is better when it comes to bag size!

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ran even less in mine, Tyler... doesn't hurt them
X2. Ran around for months at 0psi many times. 10 years on them and still held air when I sold the truck. They were Firestone bags.

Looking at another set for my new truck right now. $450 shipped for a ride right kit for 2500hd. Easy to install.

Last edited:

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed a on board compressor into my 1500 for my airbags. Honestly I won't run bags again with out the compressor and gauge. I hid the switch and gauge under the center console so it is out of the way. You can easily check the pressure and adjust if needed. It was always a pain in the ass in the winter filling the bags manually when needed.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really stiffen up the back end

image.png

Top Bottom