Stiffen up the back end of a Half Ton

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I downsized and sold my 2500HD 8.1L with a deck on it and I picked up a Silverado 1500 so now I'm putting the sled in the box. The truck drives fine, but I can tell it sags in the back, especially in the dark when my low beams are pointed right into the eyes of oncoming traffic! Maybe somebody has some recommendations for either adding another leaf spring or airbags. Pros/cons and cost differences?? Truck is a 2016 Silverado LTZ z71.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a halfer 2 years ago and put firestone bags in, haven't looked back since

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm interested too, same deal from going from my 3/4 ton to 2015 1/2 ton.
Likely just gonna do airbags though

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Air bags are pricey for that truck with our lovely exchange right now. I went a different route with my 2015 Chev 1500 max tow and I went with an add a leaf set up that a local suspension shop built for me.

I also did a 2 1/4 level at the same time which raised the whole truck up 2 1/4 " in the front and 2 1/2" in the back.

With the 135 gal slip tank full or a sled in the box the truck sits level. With 750kg of concrete in the box she squatted a little bit.

And I really, really don't miss pissing around with my air bags at all. Had them on my last two trucks before this.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
Hey, here's another option. I have a bunch of F-150 trucks and I haul 220 gallons of water 2 times a week...for 15 years! Just with the help of "overloader" rear shocks. Heavy duty rear shocks with springs on them. Excellent for taking weight and keeping the headlights where they need to be. $200-300.00 at partsource. Been using them since 1990. Their called Monroe Sensitrac. Google them and see the pic.
So there.

Last edited:

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My neighbor has a 16 F 150 and put air bags on and I have same truck . I have to tell you it certainly made it ride rougher to the point he took them off .

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My neighbor has a 16 F 150 and put air bags on and I have same truck . I have to tell you it certainly made it ride rougher to the point he took them off .

Probably either the wrong bags or too much pressure. Any load springs or whatever people put on will change the ride. But if done right the bags should kill the ride that much

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure they were the proper bags . They did have the automatic pump for leveling etc . I thought it was kind of strange but when I rode in it empty it certainly ran rougher than stock

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Probably either the wrong bags or too much pressure. Any load springs or whatever people put on will change the ride. But if done right the bags should kill the ride that much

Pretty sure they were the proper bags . They did have the automatic pump for leveling etc . I thought it was kind of strange but when I rode in it empty it certainly ran rougher than stock

So as a guy who has never had air bags but is kind of interested.....when the air bags are empty (assuming that is ok to run them empty), doesn't the weight go on the spring suspension then which would create a smooth "factory ride"
Or is the weight of the truck always resting on the airbags?

I did have "timbrens" on a truck back in the 90's...it definitely made it into a choppy ride when empty and I did not like them for that reason....are air bags the same?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
So as a guy who has never had air bags but is kind of interested.....when the air bags are empty (assuming that is ok to run them empty), doesn't the weight go on the spring suspension then which would create a smooth "factory ride"
Or is the weight of the truck always resting on the airbags?

I did have "timbrens" on a truck back in the 90's...it definitely made it into a choppy ride when empty and I did not like them for that reason....are air bags the same?
I bought "air lift ultimate 5000" kit for my 3500 for this reason. It has a jounce stop built into the bag and can be ran as low as 5psi virtually putting all all weight back to the factory springs. Some other kits have a 10 to 20 minimum psi rating on them.

Top Bottom