stick on oil pan heaters?

bj_lucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was doing a little looking around and saw the wolverine heating pads for the oil pan. any one try or have them? did they work good?

i know you gotta be care ful to not cook the oil. but would a small 250 watt heating pad do any damage if left on over night on an a diesel pickup on the -30 and colder days?

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have worked in the automotive trade for 35 yrs and I have never had a stick on oil pan heater stick on. I have seen the inside of an oilpan with a pan heater on it show small cracks and burned oil inside.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
was doing a little looking around and saw the wolverine heating pads for the oil pan. any one try or have them? did they work good?

i know you gotta be care ful to not cook the oil. but would a small 250 watt heating pad do any damage if left on over night on an a diesel pickup on the -30 and colder days?

Been using the Alaska heat pads on all my diesels vehicles since 1995... The rule of thumb as they state is 15-30 watts per quart/lt of oil. size as per your pan capacity & you will not have any problems with cooking oil as the they heat the shell material & your oil doesnot get hot just luke warm at most. Also Yes I have seen the inside of two of my pans that have the pad heaters & guess what... No burned oil... just remember to not over size the heat for your units capacity. Pending the shape & size of your pan you may need to go with more than just one pad at lower rates to achieve the total watts you require....Combined with the pad heaters,block heater & syntheic oil my units start in all the coldest weather I have been in with oil pressure Very quickly on start up...

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We use them all the time, especially on the european imports, when there isn't an aftermarket or oem block heater available..... We're putting one on an audi a4 this friday. The pad gets glued onto the pan, and they work awesome.

bj_lucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a portable magnetic one that I used on a company car without a plug. Worked great
Ya I thought of one of those. But I would probably have to pull it off all the time so I wouldn't loose it. But that would work for the really cold days.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have worked in the automotive trade for 35 yrs and I have never had a stick on oil pan heater stick on. I have seen the inside of an oilpan with a pan heater on it show small cracks and burned oil inside.

That's exactly what they'll do when you oversize the pad for the application. People also don't prep the surface properly. I sell and install them and when done properly and sized right, they're absolutely nothing wrong with them.

jazzman

Reaction score
I have one on my 2010 dodge cummins and it works great i only plug it in when temps are below -20c. Oil temp is about 65c. second one i have run. Good call the prep of the pan and size are very important.

beaker

Reaction score
i have had one on every vehicle i have owned and they are great.I have put them on myself and have never had one fall off.makes more sense to me to heat the oil then the antifreeze.especially when there is a turbo involved.

Top Bottom