Steering Column/Handlebars are Loose

Fishtank

Reaction score
A buddy of mine said its not a huge issue but it is a bit of a job to get to the steering column thingy to tighten it up as he has to go in under the sled to get to it.

Is it a big job to get in there to tighten it? Is it something that can wait til the end of the season or should I get it looked at asap?

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would look at it! Don't know about the 03's, you should be able to drop the belly pan from underneath and check out the steering. Takes about 20 minutes to get mine off (05KK).

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yup its a pain in the neck for sure but its steering so check it asap!
catmando!

Fishtank

Reaction score
Yeah had a crack at it over the weekend actually. Tried to get the plastic cover off from underneath but there were 4 main phillips head screws up the front that were on super tight. When I took to them with the drill they just spun and didnt come out at all? Whats up with that? Some special type of screw? They were in too tight to do by hand. I can see the belly pan underneath, its got about 20 "star' type screws to undo, but yeah, Cant get this damn plastic cover off.

Will have another go this weekend when my mate is free, I just had a quick look over the weekend without any luck.

Checked my other friends 04 Efi Mtn Cat and it has different type of screws holding on the cover.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah had a crack at it over the weekend actually. Tried to get the plastic cover off from underneath but there were 4 main phillips head screws up the front that were on super tight. When I took to them with the drill they just spun and didnt come out at all? Whats up with that? Some special type of screw? They were in too tight to do by hand. I can see the belly pan underneath, its got about 20 "star' type screws to undo, but yeah, Cant get this damn plastic cover off.

Will have another go this weekend when my mate is free, I just had a quick look over the weekend without any luck.

Checked my other friends 04 Efi Mtn Cat and it has different type of screws holding on the cover.

All there is holding the stock skid plate is the 20 or so torex head black screws. They corrode in and yes sometimes you have to drill them out. Theres is no rivets or nuts on the back side ( just self tapping screws ) on the stock plate. Once you get the plate off the steering post and control rod is accessible. To just look at the steering post for play you can see it from up above near the air box and look down . You might have to remove the air box and EFI throttle bodies to get a better look . You have to decide which is the less of the two evils . If you have to do any work on the steering post - the belly pan/ skid plate has to come off Good luck

Last edited:

Skyhigh

Reaction score
Do these get loose often. I've been riding mine all season and last ride the steering loosened right off. Enough to decide to head down. Is it just a threaded adjuster or something that comes loose?

Fishtank

Reaction score
All there is holding the stock skid plate is the 20 or so torex head black screws. They corrode in and yes sometimes you have to drill them out. Theres is no rivets or nuts on the back side ( just self tapping screws ) on the stock plate. Once you get the plate off the steering post and control rod is accessible. To just look at the steering post for play you can see it from up above near the air box and look down . You might have to remove the air box and EFI throttle bodies to get a better look . You have to decide which is the less of the two evils . If you have to do any work on the steering post - the belly pan/ skid plate has to come off Good luck

Yeah there must be some kind of additional plastic protective cover over the plate with the 20 odd screws in it. It looks stock (ie it doesnt look like it was added later on). Its quite thick, has these 4 large phillips head screws up the front, and 4 or so other screws towards the back. its the ones up the front that I cant get off.

Here is the only pic I have of where the screws are located. :D

Attachments

• sled.jpg
    sled.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 81

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah there must be some kind of additional plastic protective cover over the plate with the 20 odd screws in it. It looks stock (ie it doesnt look like it was added later on). Its quite thick, has these 4 large phillips head screws up the front, and 4 or so other screws towards the back. its the ones up the front that I cant get off.

Here is the only pic I have of where the screws are located. :D

Yes you have an accessory Artic Cat skid plate (in addition to the cheap thin stock skid plate) and 4 phillips screws have lock nuts on the back side. You have to get in from the under hood and most likey you have to pull off your exhaust pipe . to get good access to the nuts. Six springs hold the exhaust pipe on . Use a set of needle nose vise grips and the pipe is off in 60 seconds. If the phillips heads are stripped - then you can use vise grips to grip the head and remove the nuts fromt the inside .

Good luck

Last edited:

Fishtank

Reaction score
Yes you have an accessory Artic Cat skid plate (in addition to the cheap thin stock skid plate) and 4 phillips screws have lock nuts on the back side. You have to get in from the under hood and most likey you have to pull off your exhaust pipe . to get good access to the nuts. Six springs hold the exhaust pipe on . Use a set of needle nose vise grips and the pipe is off in 60 seconds. If the phillips heads are stripped - then you can use vise grips to grip the head and remove the nuts fromt the inside .

Good luck

Legend, thanks for that. Yeah we had to remove some of the exhaust system to get to another loose bolt so I know how to get that done. Sweet, gives me something to do Thursday since there is no snow around..... 8)

Fishtank

Reaction score
Found a couple nuts/bolts that were loose which we managed to tighten but the main issue is the ball joint at the end of the steering column has worn away over time and will probably need replacing 8(

Still its way better than what it was.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is a angle bracket that the bolt goes through and sometimes it cracks!
catmando!

Fishtank

Reaction score
There is a angle bracket that the bolt goes through and sometimes it cracks!
catmando!

Thanks, we checked every nut and bolt we could see on the steering and they were all tight. We could actually see the ball joint thing moving around.

76FoMoCo

Reaction score
lay it on the side and pull the skidplate off and use a 1/2 wrench just above the bottom nut on the ball and a 9/16 socket. I have found some times you have to take off the nut and add a washer below the bracket to take up some slack. If it is the connecting arm to the post take off the air box and do the same from above with a long extension.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the ball joint is wearing out at the bottom of the post, then it's time to upgrade posts. I upgraded to a wildchild chromoly post(the straight one on top!!!):d

Steering-Ball-Joint.jpg

Here is a pic of the bracket Catmandoo was talking about. Mine was bent and the weld was cracked.

Steeringbase.jpg

Fishtank

Reaction score
Whats the advantage of the straight post over the one with the bend?

Fishtank

Reaction score
Hmm, ill look into it. Mines pretty far forward as is, but Im pretty sure it still has the bend in it.
Where can you get these online? Most shops in town only carry the stock bent ones.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
more foreward than stock

so its not more like a chopper

handles way better

does this give you the " rider forward " postion? Do you have to lengthen the cable to get this to work ?

FossY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zx7r.de
if its the wildchild or cr forward post than yes itll give u forward position easy to see if u have it if the steering post still goes threw the console (plastic cover on the tank) or not

if u need a stock steering post i still got my old one
50 bucks and its urs :)

Fishtank

Reaction score
if its the wildchild or cr forward post than yes itll give u forward position easy to see if u have it if the steering post still goes threw the console (plastic cover on the tank) or not

if u need a stock steering post i still got my old one
50 bucks and its urs :)

Yeah my sled had a fair bit done to it at CR before I bought it so it might be the CR post in there. Was in there the other day, $280 for the CR post as opposed to $90 from another store in town for the stock one. Not sure I wanna pay 280 bucks for a post that only lasted a couple years in the first place.

Ill wait til end of season and pull it all apart, need to check a few others things. Right now its tight enough to ride out whats left of the winter.

Thanks for your help though!

Top Bottom