Starter dirt bike

Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My bud is looking at getting into dirt biking. He has never riden before so I am trying to help him out but I am a sledder and haven't really been on a bike in about 20 years.

I went with him to look at this bike. 2006 Yamaha TTr - Calgary Dirt Bikes, Motocross For Sale - Kijiji Calgary Canada.

It seemed like it was in decent shape. Wouldn't really run without the choke but I am guessing it's just a dirty fuel/carb issue. I took it for a quick boot up the street and back. Was a nice easy bike to ride.

Just looking for opinions on this. Is it a good starter? He is 42, about 200lbs, 5' 10". Will he be looking for more bike within a week or is this something he can ride for a year then give to his wife and look for a bigger bike. Suggestions???

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what kind of guy he is. If your friend isn't to agressive or going to be going into any gnarly terrain the TTR230 should be a okay bike. I would see that anyone who wants to push the limits though wouldn't be doing it on that bike.

Once a person realizes there abilitys are greater than what the bike is capable of it loses the fun.

I'd recommend a CRF250X.

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I started on a TTR 125, a little smaller then the 230, when I was 20. I am 5 foot 1 and 115 lbs roughly.. I grew out of that bike in only a few months..

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
he's not going to be happy with a msediocre bike, best to find a honda cr 500, he will not be disappointed and will always have the go power. ps get good helmet.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Big four stroke and he can ease into it and always have too much power!
catmando!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
sorry dude no fourstroke made has the power of a cr500. :beer:

Im pretty sure he isnt looking for the biggest power as a beginner,my brother had a cr 500..........not great for beginners!

Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think he needs more power then he can handle right off. From what I've seen the price of used bikes stays pretty stable and he could sell whatever he buys for pretty much what he paid or pass it on to his wife if she decides to get into it as well. Would it be a big difference in power from the 230 to say a cr250f? That seems to be in his price range and may be a bit more suited for him.

I'm a two stroke guy but he is set on a four. Actually I think if I bought a bike it would be a four as well.

Thanks for the replies all.

Last edited:

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
I would look for something like a Honda xr400. Good decent reliable power. Not over the top like the new 450 competition bikes. Seat height is a bit high tho and a first timer most likely will want to be able to plant his feet firmly on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone because dial-up sucks!

Waxy

Reaction score
Avoid the motorcross bikes completely. I've seen too many guys new to dirtbiking get completely turned off of it by buying 250 and 450 MX bikes as their first bikes. I work with two of them, one has a YZ450 and the other a CRF450R, and they both sit in their garages because neither one actually likes riding them lol. They're too powerful, too stiff riding, too tall, and too much maintenance. As for the CR500 suggestion, that was sarcasm.

My suggestions -

If he's been around motorsports of some kind and rides quads, sleds, etc..., then look at the XR400s, DRZ400s, KLX300s, WR250s, etc... They're all more than cabable of going just about anywhere, very reliable, and tame enough not to intimidate him right from the start, but have plenty of power. They also hold their value really well, and he can ride it and learn until he's ready to step up without being out a ton of cash. Some are even street legal, which is another big bonus. A step above that would be the CRFX, WR, KLX, and EXC/XCW 450s. I'd leave that step alone right now until he's comfortable and wants to get into a serious trail bike.

If he's really new to riding or offroad stuff in general, look into the XR200, CRF230, TTR230, etc... line of bikes, the KDX220 is another great starter bike, but it's a two stroke. They'll give him a fair bit of bike to learn on and get comfortable with all the skills before he moves up to the next level. They're all capable of being taken out to the foothills and ridden no problem. And again, they're all very reliable and will maintain their value well.

Waxy

Top Bottom