Administrator
Reaction score
It has arrived

20230412_203721.jpg

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Serious question:
After reading many of these posts about slow or inconsistent speed, do you feel $700+ upfront for hardware and $140 per month is a reasonable price and a good value? I realize its currently on sale and explore net is garbage.
Are hardwired alternatives such as cable and telephone not available to many of you in rural Alberta? Is there no other option other than cellular?

I live fairly rural in BC but somehow have both available. I have Shaw at 500dn/100up for ~$80 hardware included.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Serious question:
After reading many of these posts about slow or inconsistent speed, do you feel $700+ upfront for hardware and $140 per month is a reasonable price and a good value? I realize its currently on sale and explore net is garbage.
Are hardwired alternatives such as cable and telephone not available to many of you in rural Alberta? Is there no other option other than cellular?

I live fairly rural in BC but somehow have both available. I have Shaw at 500dn/100up for ~$80 hardware included.

Its onsale right now for 350. Definitely worth if working remotely, hunting/camping or mounted in the back of your pickup for work. Rural AB does not have wired service provided to customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Serious question:

If you have access to wired internet you should definitely get that over Starlink.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Serious question:

No hard wire options and just 15 min west of Edmonton.

Worth every penny!

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Worth every penny!
I had no idea hardwire options were so limited. I can see while it is so popular.

At a house I previously lived at in rural BC, we had land based wireless - not cellular. Local communications company had it setup on one of the towers . Served about a 20km radius and was pretty cheap. Surprised something similar isn't offered.

Last edited:

Ricki Bobby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had no idea hardwire options were so limited. I can see while it is so popular.

At a house I previously lived at in rural BC, we had land based wireless - not cellular. Local communications company had it setup on one of the towers . Served about a 20km radius and was pretty cheap. Surprised something similar isn't offered.
I had something similar, but it was not much better than dial up. Then I had the telus smart hub which was better, but still very slow and 125 bucks a month. Starlink was on the radar for me, but I couldn’t justify the initial cost for the hardware. Once it was half price, I went for it and it has been a game changer. I’m only 10 minutes west of the city.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That’s explorenet.

It sucked ballz!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Worth every penny!
I'm 3km outside of Invermere and no hard wire options.
Telus ran fibre optics past my place to Panorama and wasn't interested in connecting anyone else.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We had some land based wireless as well but it was 10mbit download and 1mbit upload. Also very unrealiable with rain and snow. Starlink is a bit more expensive but definitely worth it.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never seen over 120 down, average about 70 down. Videos/games on 3 devices simultaneously without hickup.

My old provider (MCSNet) could only handle one device streaming reliably.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
202 last night and it claimed partial obstruction, seemed to work well and I didn't have to call the guy or adjust the dish after a wind storm

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed mine on the roof the day before the massive wind storm we had last week. All I could picture is me gettung up to the dish bouncing off the wall in the morning.

Top Bottom