Staring and riding a sled in minus 30 C or colder

arctic cat m8

Reaction score
I was just wondering and I'm sure there's no sure answer but was wondering if it's okay to start and ride a 2009 polaris sled when it's minus 30 degress celcius or colder , and what should a gun do to make it easier on the sled engine ?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
first of all, you must question your sanity lol. I'm sure if it starts it will be fine on the engine, the only problem I could see is having trouble with snow ingestion or freezing up. at those kind of temps the snow is super fine like flour and will get into the intake and can cause lots of grief. dump a little isopropyl alcohol in the tank and you should be okay. if you have a stand get the track off the ground and spin the track for a bit to loosen things up, and for god sakes dress warm lol

arctic cat m8

Reaction score
Thanks , well havnt had time to ride during holidays and now I do but weather turned cold here , only had got 15miles on my new purchase and I'm itching to ride lol only got today and tommorrow left then back to work , for 14days , not worried of the cold as my work is always outside and we don't shut down til minus 50C

2skis

Reaction score
I was just wondering and I'm sure there's no sure answer but was wondering if it's okay to start and ride a 2009 polaris sled when it's minus 30 degress celcius or colder , and what should a gun do to make it easier on the sled engine ?

Just fine! We went out yesterday was -37 overnight. Warmed up to about -30 for our ride. (wind chill about -40) It sure makes a difference if you can keep your sled inside (doesn't have to b heated) it will start easier. Just make sure track spins and suspension isn't iced up and go easy on it for the first 6-8 minutes.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go back in the house and cuddle up.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you do start it let it run for at least 10 min when its that cold before movin or u run the risk of cold seizin ur engine.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of people in the Arctic shut the sleds off with the choke... makes the oil on the cylinders lubed and pulls over easy the next cold start...

Fuel injection sled...well s.o.l

sent while I should be drinking tea's

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of people in the Arctic shut the sleds off with the choke... makes the oil on the cylinders lubed and pulls over easy the next cold start...

Fuel injection sled...well s.o.l

sent while I should be drinking tea's

Choke it for air, cover the intake and hit the kill switch? Makes it run a bit richer right before you shut it off. Anyway, let it warm up to Operating temperature of 120 or higher, then take it easy for the first bit.

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were out for a day in the cold a few weeks ago and all we did was let them warm and fully heat soak the motor before we started going. I found out the hard way to take it easy for a while to warm your clutches up as well or you will just smoke the belt.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When it's that cold out you risk breaking the recoil rope, I like to pull the plugs and turn the engine over a few times to free it up.

Rjjtcross8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also give it two slow pulls with the key off before you start it, that will give it a bit of oil for startup.

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any ideas to warm up the engine like when it's cold out I use a small torch
To warm up my pump before I try to start my air compressor. Tried that on my sled and just about burnt a couple wires lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just fine! We went out yesterday was -37 overnight. Warmed up to about -30 for our ride. (wind chill about -40) It sure makes a difference if you can keep your sled inside (doesn't have to b heated) it will start easier. Just make sure track spins and suspension isn't iced up and go easy on it for the first 6-8 minutes.

um if you were riding windchill would be alot worse then what your iphone said.
just let it warm up till the outside of cylinder is warm. spin track on the stand. take it easy for first little bit. have fun.

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode lots of times -30/40 c no problems just give the sled a chance warm up track ,motor,years ago with old fan cools we rode at night when it was cold out they ran better than

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode lots of times -30/40 c no problems just give the sled a chance warm up track ,motor,years ago with old fan cools we rode at night when it was cold out they ran better than

and if you were lucky you got a little heat off the motor

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is dedication. I just pull the sled into the garage (heated) and walk over to the fridge, crack a doolaide and find something else to do. Some may say it is being a pussy but I'm not hard to find when the wife wants some company and warming up. Just saying.

marcel.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah give the engine a couple pulls with the key off just to help lube the cylinders. I know when its that cold its almost impossible to even pull the rope haha good old m1000s

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would pull the belt off and warm it up, idle the sled with no belt until warm...

Megrizzly

Reaction score
Let your sled warm up completely, right up to 120. Lift up the back end and drop it a few times to loosen it up. Put on track stand and conservatively spin it over. Ride conservative for the first few miles until your clutches and belt get some heat in them. Make sure you have spare plugs and belt since it is more likely in the colder temps.

The he other thing is to carry a few supplies with you. I would highly suggest packing a thermos of hot coffee, hot chocolate or even soup. Also some fire starting supplies as heat is your #1 concern if anything happens. I suggest a piece of bic fire stater, a hatchet, and a propane torch with matches or a lighter as extra.

Top Bottom