Squatters, what say you?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen a lot more people leaving there trailers for weeks on end in some of the good random camp sites. The drag their trailer out then squat on a spot all summer like it's their private retreat on crown land.
I often try and camp during the week to avoid crowds and some azzhat has his trailer in the nice spots denying anyone else the chance to use it.
Not a big deal however I often think putting a strap on the trailer and dragging it out of there.
My thought is if you want a permanent camp spot, buy one.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't stand this either...too bad you can't just claim it's abandoned and stake salvage rights (isn't this what they do off shore). Doesn't an abandoned trailer on crown land become public property? JK.

I don't think there are any rules against it, I'm amazed anyone would leave anything in the bush unattended for any length of time, I'd be worried about theft and damage. Unless it's a piece of junk nobody would want.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Another twist on the above scenario; it is getting close to hunting season and there are definitely "favorite spots" out there! Weeks ahead of opening day, camps start to go up and stay up for the duration.

I was of the opinion that if you were longer than 10 days in the same spot, the CO's were on your a$$....

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Another twist on the above scenario; it is getting close to hunting season and there are definitely "favorite spots" out there! Weeks ahead of opening day, camps start to go up and stay up for the duration.

I was of the opinion that if you were longer than 10 days in the same spot, the CO's were on your a$$....

I think if you look it up it's 14 days.... then it's considered abandoned and CAN be impounded by officials

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
14 days and its an issue, but I know of people who will drag their trailer 10' and they're legal again.

I would get bored of going to the same camp site every weekend, but thats just me I guess.

skinnybitch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't stand this either...too bad you can't just claim it's abandoned and stake salvage rights (isn't this what they do off shore). Doesn't an abandoned trailer on crown land become public property? JK.

I don't think there are any rules against it, I'm amazed anyone would leave anything in the bush unattended for any length of time, I'd be worried about theft and damage. Unless it's a piece of junk nobody would want.

x2!! :eek:

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate squatters to! I pay my 400 bucks a month and love the camping! now Im moving to the lake and building a perment roof and deck for the RV! you have to pay to live! free is squatting!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like bogger said but i think its 30 days. cause we used to set up a camp for hunting season then take down at the end of the month. if not co have the right to mark it abandoned and burn it down:eek: seen it done. however the exeption to this rule like any rule always an exception is if you are a status indian then you can stay wherever you want on crown land for as long as you want. there is one between bonnyville and glendon thats been there for about 20yrs now i think it is.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks it may have changed that was a "few" years ago.

man i feel old using that statement.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
14 days and its an issue, but I know of people who will drag their trailer 10' and they're legal again.

The 14 day rule in BC applies only to a Forest Service Rec site. No rule on crown land. They're looking at it though. Parks of course have their own rules.

Top Bottom