Spun a ring in 07 Rev. Whats my best option here?

Summit800_Andy

Reaction score
I blew a piston, whats my best bet here? New top end and cylinder quoted at $2000-2500.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's insane. A cylinder without core if yours is screwed should run you about $600 + an rk drop in kit with dual ringers. You should be at about $1000. If you need someone else to do the labour then yeah probably add another $800.

Summit800_Andy

Reaction score
This was quoted including labour. Thats why i am asking because yes i know you can get a shortblock for around the same.

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a complete topend, mono cyl block, pistons and head off a 2010 800r zero miles was removed for a 880 bigbore from new.

complete kit $1200.00 priced this out at the dealer here in town and will be just over 1900.00
i could even supply a gasket kit at my dealer cost if needed. cant recall price on topend kit but complete kit with oil seals retails for 180.00 ish so take 35% off for my cost and taxes on gasket kit only.

Summit800_Andy

Reaction score
I think i sorted out all the parts for just over $1000. Cant believe the original quote over $2000! But thats just for the new cylinders and MCB Dual ring kit. But do i need to worry about my Crank Seals on the rebuild? Thats the only question i have now before i get going on the rebuild.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it were me and while u have it out and apart get a redone crank. It's not to bad to do.

If u don't and it comes apart on u in the next while and wrecks the new top end u will be mad.

Here's a pic of my 07 crank and it took a mono cylinder and a piston out.

See the one droppy bearing. Sucked a chunk up to the top and mashed it around.

sent from my htc

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354238444705.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354238444705.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 135

Summit800_Andy

Reaction score
Well it's not quite "while it's out" pretty sure I can do the top end with the motor still in. And to do the crank wouldn't I have to pull the motor? And I keep reading there's ways to do the crank seal without splitting the case. Maybe ill just do the top end and just take a peak and see if things are running smooth on my cranks maybe get some fresh grease and grease up the bearings?

If it were me and while u have it out and apart get a redone crank. It's not to bad to do.

If u don't and it comes apart on u in the next while and wrecks the new top end u will be mad.

Here's a pic of my 07 crank and it took a mono cylinder and a piston out.

See the one droppy bearing. Sucked a chunk up to the top and mashed it around.

sent from my htc

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But what happens if it wrecks the top end ??
And a heli outa where it dies.

Just take it from me dude. Do Ur 07 right the first time.

Trying to put the mono cylinders on while holding 4 rings in place is hard enough on a bench.

sent from my htc

Summit800_Andy

Reaction score
True enough! well do you have experience doing the crank? Im just going to replace the seals, rather then get a whole new crank. Do you happen to know any good links to how to do this?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U will be only able to do the PTO outer seal behind the clutch.

Google it. Might find something.

I have just done it lots.

sent from my htc

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If that seal lip dont fully seat it will pop out a mil and creates a leak and burn down! pto piston gonzo. Not sure what the piston issue is with your sled but good chance your crank is failing and it may be the cause of the current top end failure, once you get it apart you wont have a choice possibly. That crank with out touching it has a life expectancy of 4000k max on the average from the many including my own I been around. If your sled has a 1000kish, I would maybe chance it, 07 with original motor and 2000km + just get a shortblock, but just my 2cents to save you a headache, not your wallet

Summit800_Andy

Reaction score
hmmm. Well i got a line on a used Long Block with less then 1000km on it from an 08. - the fly wheel, and electronics. Do i go this route?

Summit800_Andy

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, about $1500 with my motor as a trade in. Is it worth getting a used motor? Would i be better off getting a new bottom and top end in my original motor?

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we all want to cut the cash out lay ...
but cutting corners isnt the way to go.
I'm about to go down this road this season,
but uesd motors sometimes come out of wrecked sleds,
or sleds been train wrecked in an avy,
and hasnt been started for 2 or 3 years. turned over maybe at best

spend the coin and get pure blue ... Hiesenburg quaility !!!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
U can go from a 07 ( updated block ) into a 08 plus xp.

But u can't go the other way cause of the motor mounts.

sent from my htc

farmerboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take your time and pull the engine. I did my Son's 07 in the sled and it was a bitch. It would have taken another 45 minutes and he could have had it pulled. I pulled my 05 800 so I could rebuild it and it was so much nicer. I could auctually see and was able to clean properly. Tex is totally right when he says to do the whole thing properly. You dont have to worry about is there crap in the bearings or something else. It is never fun to spend money twice on a top end and the second time it happens the whole motor is pouched. Take your time and spend a little more makes the rides more enjoyable

Summit800_Andy

Reaction score
Ya, I am going to pull the whole motor. But i need a good source on wheres the best place to get a Crank Seal kit, and some Isoflex.

nielsy

Reaction score
I got seals and isoflex in stock you should bring your crank and I got a true stand we can put it in

Top Bottom