Spotter for Water Skiing in the Covid-19 era

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went on line this morning to check the legal requirements for a spotter while water skiing. There is not a lot of information out there concerning specifics, but I did find something that stated the spotter had to be on board the boat.

It's coming up on water ski season around here and this Covid-19 social distancing thing is going to be a problem for water skiing. Anyone know if it is legal to have the spotter in another boat that is following the tow boat? In my particular scenario, it would be the wife and I in our boat and two or three family members in the other boat(s). We would alternate so one boat would always be spotting for the other boat...IE my wife would drive while I ski and the people in the other boat would be dedicated to spotting while I ski.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is for my wife...she wont pull me if we don't have a spotter, we had a bit of an incident a couple of years ago while I was Air Chairin without a spotter...I'm OK without a spotter but she aint gonna do it.

I'm trying to convince her we can go if we have a spotter in another boat.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed a camera. Way better than a giant mirror. Other option is you go down to the local orphanage and adopt a teenager for the summer....

Attachments

• 7FFE1E54-F768-44F8-9B79-9622EE7E07A1.jpeg
    7FFE1E54-F768-44F8-9B79-9622EE7E07A1.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 277
  • 6540DDE1-00E8-4C60-97F8-787274E7CFF8.jpg
    6540DDE1-00E8-4C60-97F8-787274E7CFF8.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 284

Hoehand79

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the ohv ban and cut backs on fish and feather services I wouldn't be surprised if they ban boats and stuff for the time being either...

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
At work we can break the social distancing rule if we were masks.
Maybe that same principle can apply.
Toss the old handkerchief around the nose and mouth and good to stick 6 in the boat

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I installed a camera. Way better than a giant mirror. Other option is you go down to the local orphanage and adopt a teenager for the summer....

I'm thinking that camera system might be worth as much as our boat...:)

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You need at least 2 people in boat if you don’t want a fine, if you all have covid 19 there’s nothing to worry about

Starting to look that way...haven't found anything about allowing the spotter to be in a different boat. I'm having a hard time thinking of a scenario, other than the social distancing pandemic stuff, where a spotter would not want to be in the same boat as the skier.

The Feds might have to make some adjustments for the current Covid Smovid.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Starting to look that way...haven't found anything about allowing the spotter to be in a different boat. I'm having a hard time thinking of a scenario, other than the social distancing pandemic stuff, where a spotter would not want to be in the same boat as the skier.

The Feds might have to make some adjustments for the current Covid Smovid.
It’s easier to ask for forgiveness then permission.......we’ve all done it before, tell your wife you canceled life insurance policy before she drives

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could just sit on the bow where she can see you and dangle your legs and skis in the water. Allow the boat to safely push you along.

Top Bottom