Sportsmen 700 in and out of 4X4

floatflyer56

Reaction score
I seem to have a problem with my 05 Sportsmen 700 not coming out of 4X4 when I change back to 2 wheel. Even backing up doesn't necessarily take it out of 4 wheel. Eventually it will drop back into 2 wheel, but does it when it is good and ready. It doesn't kick into 4X4 on it own, and I have checked the wires leading into the front diff, they look OK???? Someone suggested replacing what amounts to a plastic "cage" in the front diff that is sticking, and won't release when I trun the 4X4 off?

Any thoughts, and has anyone done this job before?

Thanks in advance.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is a special type of lubricant in the frt hubs. Check the frt hubs for lubricant. Ask at your dealer what it takes and how much in each hub. Give it a try and let us know for the future

northstar23

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Theres a recall on that atv .. the ECM controls 4x4.... on mine it didn't engage some time and also would not dis engage

BigRed800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My pal had the same problem wetook out the front diff and the plastic cage was hooped new parts and use the right oil he was up and running but the cheaper way like sledderglen said try to change the oil first

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the first step would be to change the front dif fluid and see if it is dirty. dirty fluid will make it act wierd. if that doesn't help you will probably have to remove the dif and take it apart. you could have a broken cage or a magnetized ameteur plate. you can get these replacement parts at a john deer dealership for like 70% cheaper then polaris. they are for the gator. same dif and exact same parts.

Top Bottom