Sportsman Toe Adjust

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok maybe Im missing something here but I went to align my front end on my 800 and instead of running a string along side the wheels I wrapped it all the way around starting and ending at the hitch with jackstands about 2 feet in front of the quad on each side. about 12.5 inches off the ground so Im in the center of the wheel. Now when I go to move my jackstands to get the sting to touch both the tire side walls on the front and back of the rear tire I end up with the string touching the front tire before it touches the front sidewall of the rear tire. I have the handlebars center and lock in place. I also see people coming up with a number on the front like an inch away on the front and inch and an eighth on the back side of the rim. I have absolutly no where close to that if I could get it to touch.

If someone could shed some light on this project for me that would be good. Thanks

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sounds like ur toed out really bad. Try toeing in quite a bit and then check to see if u can get the string to touch the rear tire (front and back). If u could take some pics and post them it would make it easier to see what's happening. Take a pic from the front looking at the quad and then one of what's happening with the string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sounds like ur toed out really bad. Try toeing in quite a bit and then check to see if u can get the string to touch the rear tire (front and back). If u could take some pics and post them it would make it easier to see what's happening. Take a pic from the front looking at the quad and then one of what's happening with the string.

Ok I threw the battery charger on the camera so Ill get pics here shortly but I have already turned the tie-rod so the tire is even and it still hits both (front and back) of the FRONT tire before touching front side of rear tire. Like I say got the camera on charge now so Ill get some up quick. Thanks

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok maybe this is a stupid question but is it nessecery to have the quad jacked up during this procedure so the suspension is hanging. I havnt read ANYWHERE that you need to but its just a question

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it needs to be on the ground and bounce the front and rear to settle the suspension and then check it..

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok,,well I am not sure either

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
151.jpg

A look at the string running around the right side

154.jpg

The front of the front tire on the right side. the string is touching

155.jpg

the rear of the front tire on the right side. sting is touching here also

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The front of the rear tire on the right side. the string ISNT touching, notice the shadow?

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
157.jpg A look from the rear on the right side

The front of the rear tire on the right side. the string ISNT touching, notice the shadow
156.jpg

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hell with the jackstands, I ended up just running the string around the quad with it attached at the rear hitch. Then I took and adjusted my toe out so there was between 1/16" and 1/8" between front and rear of the front tire.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds good too me. Does it look all right when u look at it from the front ? All I do is eyeball mine when I adjust the toe. As long as everything is looking the same. And equal u should be good.

Top Bottom