Speedo quit working

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2010 f-150 5.4 ext cab. Truck just turned 60,000 and just came off extended warranty lol
My speedo stopped working so I pulled over and shut the truck off. When I restarted it worked fine again. Five days later it did it again , but this time when I shut it off and restarted it won't sweep. It also won't go below 10 kph on the gauge and it appears my speedo is reading at least 10 kph fast. I tried three different dealers and can't get it in till after the long weekend. This is my tow vehicle , hence the low k. I really want to go out on the long weekend but don't want to screw anything up. Anyone have any experience or ideas to help a guy out ?
Thanks snow and mud !!

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try disconnecting your battery for a couple of minutes then re connect it and see if that helps. Sometimes the magic boxes that control things need a reset.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
You will probably require a new instrument cluster... Fairly common failure. Used ones plug right in, if u can find a,good used one. U will have to pull the cluster for the serial # on the back of the cluster to match up a used one at the wreckers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2010 f-150 5.4 ext cab. Truck just turned 60,000 and just came off extended warranty lol
My speedo stopped working so I pulled over and shut the truck off. When I restarted it worked fine again. Five days later it did it again , but this time when I shut it off and restarted it won't sweep. It also won't go below 10 kph on the gauge and it appears my speedo is reading at least 10 kph fast. I tried three different dealers and can't get it in till after the long weekend. This is my tow vehicle , hence the low k. I really want to go out on the long weekend but don't want to screw anything up. Anyone have any experience or ideas to help a guy out ?
Thanks snow and mud !!

how fast where you going when you broke it. must have wound it pretty tight

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You will probably require a new instrument cluster... Fairly common failure. Used ones plug right in, if u can find a,good used one. U will have to pull the cluster for the serial # on the back of the cluster to match up a used one at the wreckers

Does the truck remember the mileage or the speedo. Is it ok to drive it like this till I can get it in ?

CATPRIDE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pOSTING AT 1:30 IN THE MORNING.....HMMMM.....i THINK HE'S HAMMERED

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the truck remember the mileage or the speedo. Is it ok to drive it like this till I can get it in ?

Drive it, there may be a reference to in the computer but the inst. cluster was the recording device in previous years.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try disconnecting your battery for a couple of minutes then re connect it and see if that helps. Sometimes the magic boxes that control things need a reset.

You are the man !!! It appears to have solved the issue. Speedo is working as it should. THANKYOU !!!

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help. Snow and mud did it again lol

Top Bottom