Special Message from the CAC

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just passing on this important message. We are Sticky'd pretty heavily, but maybe the mods think this can remain at the top for a while.

Received by VARDA from the Association of British Columbia Snowmobile Clubs

Written By John Kelly of the CAC

One of the fundamental principles of travel in avalanche terrain is to limit the numbers exposed to the consequences of an avalanche. Riding in avalanche terrain should be a solitary activity, thus you group up in a safe spots and then hit the slopes alone. Somehow this principle is not being followed in the sled accidents we are seeing. Over the next few weeks the CAC will be aggressively pursue messaging that targets this public safety issue. We are asking you to help.

With the current conditions as they are we can expect to see decreasing frequency of avalanches but with increasing size. This means it becomes more and more tempting to hit the slope that you have resisted because you may go quite a long time without seeing any avalanche activity. Unfortunately when a slide does occur (I did not say "if") the strong likelihood is that it will be bigger than expected. It can also occur on slopes that are less steep than usual. It is therefore critical that people respect the one-at-a-time rule for slope use - even in moderately steep terrain!

I would be expecting avalanche activity in the coming week to be on slopes about 30 to 35 degrees with a wide-open smooth character. This is not very steep.

I am interested in your thoughts on how we encourage reduced numbers of exposed people at the same time in avalanche country. If you are seeing bad habits in terms of grouping together where you are, you should consider taking action to counter the trend. Please forward this message to your members.

Best Regards,

John Kelly
Operations Manager,
Canadian Avalanche Centre
Revelstoke, BC
250 837 2141

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the update curtis. I would like to quote you on some words you said once that have always stuck in my head``RIDE THE CONSQUENCE`S.. I think its a great catch phrase to keep in your head as you make terrain choices.

gartho

Reaction score
It's thesame rule for all / all year long,but every trip our group takes,we see other groups dancing with the devil all the time. Just a few weeks ago we were having supper at one of our fav riding locations & this young idiot was bragging about how he highmarked a turbo sled,while it was stuck upthe hill.It's these goofs that don't respect others & snow condtions that cause trouble for all.Sometimes it appears when some of us get in the open country with our big sleds,they seem to forget there are rules. I'll just sum it up to trigger happy & lack of common sense. Glad we weren't riding any where this goof went?????????????????????????:nono:

Top Bottom