Special Avalanche Alert Mar 31.11

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Due to unexpected precipitation rates and accumulation we have changed danger ratings to HIGH at all elevations in the Lizard Range for today. Danger ratings for tomorrow are expected to be CONSIDERABLE at this time. There is potential for another cycle of large avalanches failing on deeply buried layers similar to what occurred in early March. This may prompt a special warning for the weekend. The updated bulletin can be viewed here: South Rockies : Latest Bulletins : Bulletins : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca We will update this bulletin again at the usual time this afternoon. Stay tuned!

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok,

Because I find this information very hard to clarify, which exact range is the Lizard range? Is it the range west of Fernie, or east, or both?

These two ranges appear to have significantly different conditions most times and I generally play by whatever range has worse ratings, but would like to clarify that info.

We are hoping to go sledboarding Sunday down east of Fernie.

Thanks!
Quinn

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Ok,

Because I find this information very hard to clarify, which exact range is the Lizard range? Is it the range west of Fernie, or east, or both?

These two ranges appear to have significantly different conditions most times and I generally play by whatever range has worse ratings, but would like to clarify that info.

We are hoping to go sledboarding Sunday down east of Fernie.

Thanks!
Quinn

I'll doo my best to clarify it. The Lizard Range is the range that is west and North of Highway #3 or Fernie. It is the range that the Ski hill and Island Lake Lodge are in. To the west there is a big flat plain with lakes and big rivers that give moisture to the air. It condenses on the Lizard Range and to the South on the Morrisssey Ridge. Further south the air goes through the Wigwam Flats and condenses on the mountains along Ram Creek and Harvey Pass.

The Rolling Hills gets the snow that comes over Morrissey Ridge which is a pretty good snow belt as is the Notch area. South of Harvey Pass through the Flathead there are lesser amounts of snow.

If I read the information in another post correctly, I'm thinking it rained right to the top of the Coal summit.

I haven't been able to see to the top in Elkford but I'm hoping that high enough we had snow. I'll see tomorrow and report.

Hope the above helps, fs

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little geography, some meteorology, tourism director, groomer operator and a dang fine tour guide on the side. Your kind of a handy guy to have around Doug. Lol. Keep up the good work! :d:beer::beer:

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll doo my best to clarify it. The Lizard Range is the range that is west and North of Highway #3 or Fernie. It is the range that the Ski hill and Island Lake Lodge are in. To the west there is a big flat plain with lakes and big rivers that give moisture to the air. It condenses on the Lizard Range and to the South on the Morrisssey Ridge. Further south the air goes through the Wigwam Flats and condenses on the mountains along Ram Creek and Harvey Pass.

The Rolling Hills gets the snow that comes over Morrissey Ridge which is a pretty good snow belt as is the Notch area. South of Harvey Pass through the Flathead there are lesser amounts of snow.

If I read the information in another post correctly, I'm thinking it rained right to the top of the Coal summit.

I haven't been able to see to the top in Elkford but I'm hoping that high enough we had snow. I'll see tomorrow and report.

Hope the above helps, fs

That's awesome!

Explains it much better then what I can find on the net and makes the avy reports have a little more meaning!

Much appreciated.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
A little geography, some meteorology, tourism director, groomer operator and a dang fine tour guide on the side. Your kind of a handy guy to have around Doug. Lol. Keep up the good work! :d:beer::beer:

Thanks man!

We'll really see today 'bout the "fine tour guide" BS! Taking friggin' imdoo'n around today! Been raining for 2 days and I haven't been able to see the top; don't know if it is rain or snow up there?

First hint came last night when someone said, "there's 2-3' of heavy mashed potato snow" when they rode Coal Creek yesterday. That's not a good sign but we are higher than Fernie so it might be epic.

My arms may be stretched at least 6" and I'll probably be darn tired of looking in the tree wells for "the wild man".......

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just don't give him the satisfaction of showing your age and you will be alright. Lol. Have a safe ride. :)

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It rained all the way to the top back in Jan as well and I'm wondering if its now failing on that deeper rain crust layer?

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It rained all the way to the top back in Jan as well and I'm wondering if its now failing on that deeper rain crust layer?

That'll be an issue that'll be reviewed I'm sure. That rain crust may be 2-2.5 meters deep now!! :(

Hopefully the warmer weeks we have had lately has broken the pack down and solidified it a bit. They seem less worried, but it's one of those instances if it does get riggered it'll be a BIG one.

Top Bottom