Spark Plugs

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i too would be interested in your findings with the spark plugs and custom tune. got a 6.0l half ton myself and it does well but more is better.

Anyone know what a custom tune at a shop runs these days? probably cheaper than EFI live.

Depends if you want dyno time or not. I would just get one from Blackbear, Nelson, Wheatley, etc otherwise. I had little faith in the local yocals so that's why I chose to learn how to tune. If you have a truck without the 6 speed ( unless you have that relatively rare 09 Vortec Max) a traditional tune from blackbear is only $200.

EFIlive new for what I have is $900 in the US, and I bought it locally for a grand. After shipping and border crap it's about the same.

And mine is tuned too, lol. It's a 6 liter powered 1500HD and it quite literally was night and day for power. The LQ9 or 07 up L76 would be about the same deal. I run premium in my truck because now it knocks on regular..... but it has 10 degrees more advance at wide open throttle over stock. The 1/2 tons ( mine is really a light duty 2500, has the 4L80e and 9.5" 14 bolt plus the LQ4) are not quite as bad stock...... but damn close.

I mean I own them, I will say it...... they are gutless fuel guzzling turds stock. All of them...... Whoever GM commissioned to tune them should be shot! There are so many limitations in the PCM it would boggle your mind..... and the newer they are the worse that gets.

Last edited:

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
x2 what he said, in my town the local guy i deal with is 300 bucks to get a tune, and he has a bseline he sets in your computer (rough one) and then you go out driving for a while he gets you to do certain things ie wideopen or just cruising up hills and all that kind of stuff and re does all the timing and fuel mapping. he had it so that my 5.3l would lock the TC so that it would help hold back on hills while towing. and while coasting under 2000rpm he programmed it to cut the fuel. lots of stuff to be changed. pick black bear or someone else or do one yourself thats the only way to do it unless you know a person with efi live.

Badass what year is your 1500hd and what kind of mpg you get?

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This one is an 05. I do not hand calculate, nor pay attention to the mileage counter in the cluster.... Sorry. It's of little importantance to me.

Last edited:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i changed the plugs in my truck and this is what the stock ones looked like at 130,000km They were very black on the outside ring and the electrodes look burnt. Glad i changed them i hope i see a difference in something. DSC01170 2.JPG DSC01170 2.JPG DSC01174 2.jpg

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They look good to me. Burning nice.

Looks to have had a bit of purple gas some time.

U can see the dye on the tip base and insulator.

sent from my htc

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats funny cuz i have never run purple in it ever to my knowledge. I did put some old race gas in it one time. They are probably fine but i changed them anyway.

Top Bottom