Spark Plugs

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to maybe replace the plugs in my 2010 GMC 2500 6.0L and wondering if there are better options than factory or if its even worth it. Truck runs fine, hard on fuel (as per all 6.0L) it has 126,000km. any input???

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Real trucks don't have sparkplugs.
Wow. Thanks for the insight. You truly helped him out a lot.
Looking to maybe replace the plugs in my 2010 GMC 2500 6.0L and wondering if there are better options than factory or if its even worth it. Truck runs fine, hard on fuel (as per all 6.0L) it has 126,000km. any input???
I usually just go to Napa, or any other auto store, and get the mid line plugs. Top of the line are too expensive, imo. I ran the expensive ones for a while once. ( I think they were a E3, or something like that? Can't remember) I've never noticed a difference in performance, or economy.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Stock Delco Platinums work just fine...... or NGK TR55's of the same heat range. You won't find any gain with any aftermarket junk ploy sparkplug. At 125000 they will show some wear of course but the factory spec isn't until 160000 kms. They last well beyond that too btw, lol. Antiseize on the threads of the new ones is a good idea, especially with aluminum heads.

Last edited:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. i just ordered NGK irridiums off ebay. I am not expecting any difference but it can't hurt to try. These 6L's burn rich so i am expecting the stock plugs to be gummed up. I will post pics when i take them out, maybe i will be wrong.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. i just ordered NGK irridiums off ebay. I am not expecting any difference but it can't hurt to try. These 6L's burn rich so i am expecting the stock plugs to be gummed up. I will post pics when i take them out, maybe i will be wrong.

Tune it. The factory tune in them has no spark advance and lots of fuel so they can be run overloaded up the side of the mountain on 80 octane fuel and not blow up essentially. My 05's LQ4 is a totally different truck after I messed around with it via EFI Live. The only thing about yours is it's rev happy nature will not go away even tuned...... but you can thank the rectangular port L92 heads on it for that.

They probably will be a bit sooty..... your tailpipe and rear bumper are telltales of that. My old 09 was was a lot worse in that respect than any of the 07 and prior LQ4 trucks I have ran.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't use ngk or bosh plus 4 plugs in that truck.

Ac delco iridumn ..... I have never had any other than ax delcos last in a chev.

Even with the old tbi 350's.

sent from my htc

Last edited:

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tune it. The factory tune in them has no spark advance and lots of fuel so they can be run overloaded up the side of the mountain on 80 octane fuel and not blow up essentially. My 05's LQ4 is a totally different truck after I messed around with it via EFI Live. The only thing about yours is it's rev happy nature will not go away even tuned...... but you can thank the rectangular port L92 heads on it for that.

They probably will be a bit sooty..... your tailpipe and rear bumper are telltales of that. My old 09 was was a lot worse in that respect than any of the 07 and prior LQ4 trucks I have ran.

Yes it is rev happy and the tail pipe has a sweet black coating from unburnt fuel. I am looking at trying a bullydog tuner but i don't know anyone that has used one and i don't want to spend the $$ and not get any decent results. I will wait until my warranty is up before i put a tuner on. the dealer told me that it will void all warranty and it doesn't matter if i de-tune it they can still tell.

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you can get a custom tune done (blackbear performance) not one of the hand held ones, i had a custom tune in my 2002 5.3l made a huge difference in power and mpg. i talked to the fellow in my town that did the custom tuneing about the 6.0l he said he can get a bit better mpg out of it but not much, on the power end he can get massive gaines he said massive gains.
just a thought though. :)

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it is rev happy and the tail pipe has a sweet black coating from unburnt fuel. I am looking at trying a bullydog tuner but i don't know anyone that has used one and i don't want to spend the $$ and not get any decent results. I will wait until my warranty is up before i put a tuner on. the dealer told me that it will void all warranty and it doesn't matter if i de-tune it they can still tell.

Tune it with proper software, either HP tuners or EFILive. I tune myself with EFILive and it's a decent platform. Some local guys probably can tune it but going with Blackbear and a autocal would be your best bet. You need the autocal to allow tuning of the TCM as it is in the valvebody of your 6L90E........ That and to go back to stock.

Dealer is full of ch!t and just trying to scare you. Duramaxes from 2010 on as well as select cars( Camaro as an example) are the only computers that record an event log. That being they can see up to the last 10 tunes written. Your trucks does not........ and even the current 2012's do not. If you flash it back to stock before a visit the Tech II has no way to get informaion on what you have done. That's a fact.

GM's warranty is a bad joke anyhow...... tune it and actually enjoy driving it. Make that stupid 6L90E shift half way normal in the process.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Badass, i will look into a custom tune. I would be happy with a consistant 2mpg better. I drive a lot for work so going from 15mpg to 17-18mpg would be awesome.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I have a bullydog tuner that I'm looking to sell.

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why are you selling it? How did it work on your dodge? The more i look into it the more i hear a custom tune or a diablo sport are the things to consider. How much and how old is it?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Badass, i will look into a custom tune. I would be happy with a consistant 2mpg better. I drive a lot for work so going from 15mpg to 17-18mpg would be awesome.

i too would be interested in your findings with the spark plugs and custom tune. got a 6.0l half ton myself and it does well but more is better.

Anyone know what a custom tune at a shop runs these days? probably cheaper than EFI live.

Top Bottom