spark plug wire replacement

andystepper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok boys. i noticed on sunday when i was riding than my sled would bog down on me once in a while. btw 2002 zr 800efi. lifted the hood and saw that my pto side plug boot was starting to melt. pulled the boot off the plug and what do i see.... the wire tab that connects to the plug is still on the plug. put it back on and rode it home.

now my question is can i replace the wires and boots or do i have to get the whole coil? was looking at some microfiches and it shows it being all one unit minus the boots.

what can i do? can i go to can tire and pick up the ngk "race wires" and boots and install them in the coil? how do i do that?

what are my options besides buying a new coil?

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
black rubber NGK spark plug caps thread off , grab the wire turn cap counter clockwise about 6 turn and it should be off . you will need lubrication water,spit,WD40 to turn the new caps on if the cap moves even alittle bit on spark plug replace it :cool:

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a big favour and go get new premium NGK boots. As mentioned they twist on the stock cables. New boots have much better contact and stay on!

ardypol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do yourself a big favour and go get new premium NGK boots. As mentioned they twist on the stock cables. New boots have much better contact and stay on!

Where is the best place to get them? I need some for a couple of my older sleds. :beer:

andystepper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was just gonna ask myself. were would one get some premium ngk boots from?

and thanks for the help guys.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got mine from the local Cat dealer. Most shops should have them. Royal Distributing sells them too I think. Just a better boot with a better connection system. See the Red boots......

Top Bottom